Fasting? Recommended?

So I've been doing a lot of reading as most of you are probably aware and exhausted with lol.

I have come across several instances of people fasting. Can someone explain this practice to me? How does one do it? From what I gather, it is often used to help someone game spiritual enlightenment or to help a prayer?

As I am reading the book of Mormon and praying in my investigation does anyone recommend fasting to help me in my efforts to help me move closer to what God wants for me or what he is trying to guide me into?

I am investigating becoming a member. I have been reading a bit of the Book of Mormon in order to seek its truth and I've been praying as I have done so. I have read about fasting helping the prayer process. But can someone instruct me on how to fast properly and safely? I don't understand what it involves beyond starving?

Thank you.

So I've been doing a lot of reading as most of you are probably aware and exhausted with lol.

I have come across several instances of people fasting. Can someone explain this practice to me? How does one do it? From what I gather, it is often used to help someone game spiritual enlightenment or to help a prayer?

As I am reading the book of Mormon and praying in my investigation does anyone recommend fasting to help me in my efforts to help me move closer to what God wants for me or what he is trying to guide me into?

In an LDS context, "fasting" is the practice of abstaining from all food and drink (including water) for a period of time, usually never more than 24 hours.

Gospel Principles Chapter 25: Fasting

First, before fasting, I make sure that I feel healthy enough to fast.

I begin my fast with a prayer.

I pray for the things that I'm needing help... and that I'm fasting to show my sincerity for my desire to be granted.

While fasting, I keep a prayer in my heart, to ponder and meditate over the thing, inspiriation or cause that I desire.

After sufficient time has passed, I end my fast with a prayer of thanks, that my prayer and fast has been heard.

Don't unnecessarily jeopardize your health. There are other ways and things to fast - or sacrifice - from, if it is unsafe. Fasting from television, music and computer access may be more appropriate for some.

Fasting is about having the spirit have mastery over the flesh for a period of time. It's putting the things of God in our spirit over the things of the flesh.

In an LDS context, "fasting" is the practice of abstaining from all food and drink (including water) for a period of time, usually never more than 24 hours.

Well that I kinda got.. but what I don't understand is the practice itself? So you just say, "Okay no food or drink for a day and hope that I don't slip into a diabetic coma in the process!" and that's all there is to it?

I guess I got the opinion that it was a more... involved and serious thing than that. That there was a way you do it. I mean, I suppose I could go tomorrow without eating anything and just read a few lines from the Book of Mormon but it hardly seems like the revelatory spiritual tool it was made to sound like in descriptions I've read in other testimonies from members of the LDS church. Maybe it's easier than I thought.

Gospel Principles Chapter 25: Fasting

First, before fasting, I make sure that I feel healthy enough to fast.

I begin my fast with a prayer.

I pray for the things that I'm needing help... and that I'm fasting to show my sincerity for my desire to be granted.

While fasting, I keep a prayer in my heart, to ponder and meditate over the thing, inspiriation or cause that I desire.

After sufficient time has passed, I end my fast with a prayer of thanks, that my prayer and fast has been heard.

Don't unnecessarily jeopardize your health. There are other ways and things to fast - or sacrifice - from, if it is unsafe. Fasting from television, music and computer access may be more appropriate for some.

Fasting is about having the spirit have mastery over the flesh for a period of time. It's putting the things of God in our spirit over the things of the flesh.

AHHHHHHH.. So while I am fasting I'm meditating on something to keep my mind from the hunger?! AHA!

How do you determine how long to fast? Is there some sort of guideline?

So if I pray for greater understanding of the truths in the Book of Mormon and to feel the spirit, then I can begin fasting? And when I'm done, I pray to thank God for my prayer and fast?

Hyena - I am diabetic. The church allows for special situations such as pregnancy or illness. What I do is eat lighter, but my endo has told me not to fast for 2 meals. I don't have a problem skipping lunch if we've been asked to fast for someone in the ward.

I know that sometimes even the missionaries forget to fast. It happens. I also know that people do what they have to do (such as going to a kid's game) and just deal with it. It's not like they are on their knees with the BOM the whole time. I think whatever way you are able to do it, full fast or some modification, will be fine.

Well that I kinda got.. but what I don't understand is the practice itself? So you just say, "Okay no food or drink for a day and hope that I don't slip into a diabetic coma in the process!" and that's all there is to it?

I guess I got the opinion that it was a more... involved and serious thing than that. That there was a way you do it. I mean, I suppose I could go tomorrow without eating anything and just read a few lines from the Book of Mormon but it hardly seems like the revelatory spiritual tool it was made to sound like in descriptions I've read in other testimonies from members of the LDS church. Maybe it's easier than I thought.

No, you're right. Fasting should always be accompanied by prayer. Open your fast with a prayer. Pray while you fast. When you are ready to break your fast, do it with prayer.

Many people also fast with a specific purpose in mind: blessing someone in need, developing spiritual insight, getting help with a problem they are having, or just giving thanks to God.

And I know you were joking about the "diabetic coma" thing, but unless you actually have a serious health issue, fasting will not do you any harm. At all. If anything, it's good for you in our overfed society. But the first few times you fast, you might get a little headachy or otherwise feel a little bit sick. You almost certainly will feel a little weak the first few times, until your body adjusts. As Brigham Young said, "If it makes my head ache by keeping the commandments of God, let it ache."

As Brigham Young said, "If it makes my head ache by keeping the commandments of God, let it ache."

Absolutely LOVE that.

So, Vort, would you recommend I attempt to fast and pray for greater and swifter understanding of the Book of Mormon as I try to discover how I want to proceed with the church?

I rarely disagree with skippy, but this is one place I do. "Fasting" means abstaining from food, not merely abstaining from something. And as I said in another thread, unless you have a serious health issue such as diabetes, fasting presents no harm to your body. It's good for you, not bad for you.

Some people try to "ease into" fasting by fasting for just one meal, then trying to fast from an early breakfast to a late dinner, and so forth. If it works to "build up" to a regular fast in that way, then go for it! But for people in normal health, fasting for 24 hours will not do you any harm. If you are not used to it, it might be uncomfortable and make you feel out of sorts, but it won't hurt you. If you're like the majority of us -- overfed -- then cutting out food for a day can only help.

AHHHHHHH.. So while I am fasting I'm meditating on something to keep my mind from the hunger?! AHA!

How do you determine how long to fast? Is there some sort of guideline?

In general, we are counseled not to fast for longer than 24 hours. A 24-hour fast presents no health challenges for a healthy person, but in some cases a 48-hour fast might. I personally don't see the point in a days-long fast for spiritual purposes*; I think that you probably get all the spiritual benefit you can from a 24-hour fast.

*I have heard of those who "fast" from food, but not water, for days at a time as part of a radical weight-loss program. That's not what I'm talking about here, though.

So, Vort, would you recommend I attempt to fast and pray for greater and swifter understanding of the Book of Mormon as I try to discover how I want to proceed with the church?

I think it's perfectly appropriate for you to do so, if you like. I would not suggest it to you on my own, but if you think it's something you want to try, I don't see anything wrong with it. On the contrary, it might be a really good, eye-opening experience for you. (Or you might just get hungry for a day...but if you want to give it a shot, then go for it!)

I think it's perfectly appropriate for you to do so, if you like. I would not suggest it to you on my own, but if you think it's something you want to try, I don't see anything wrong with it. On the contrary, it might be a really good, eye-opening experience for you. (Or you might just get hungry for a day...but if you want to give it a shot, then go for it!)

lol Disclaimer received loud and clear.

I hereby absolve Vort of all legal obligation and responsibility if I ignorantly cause my own demise attempting things I know nothing about.

lol Disclaimer received loud and clear.

I hereby absolve Vort of all legal obligation and responsibility if I ignorantly cause my own demise attempting things I know nothing about.

Nah. The worst that will happen is that you feel crabby and/or get a headache.

I rarely disagree with skippy, but this is one place I do. "Fasting" means abstaining from food, not merely abstaining from something. And as I said in another thread, unless you have a serious health issue such as diabetes, fasting presents no harm to your body. It's good for you, not bad for you.

Some people try to "ease into" fasting by fasting for just one meal, then trying to fast from an early breakfast to a late dinner, and so forth. If it works to "build up" to a regular fast in that way, then go for it! But for people in normal health, fasting for 24 hours will not do you any harm. If you are not used to it, it might be uncomfortable and make you feel out of sorts, but it won't hurt you. If you're like the majority of us -- overfed -- then cutting out food for a day can only help.

Vort, I agree with you. The nature of fasting is to give up food & drink.

I suppose instead of fasting, the term would be sacrificing - sacrificing by abstaining from other activities and such.

SKippy, thank you for merging them. I'm sorry for going at it from two different locations, but part of it I felt was a question and the other part I felt was instructional so I posted in both forums lol.

So would you or Vort recommend, just to be clear, no water as well during the 24 hour fast? Or is it JUST food? I want to be absolutely clear, since I live in Texas and the idea of a dry throat is not exactly making for a great time. Thanks. I just want to know for certain.

IMO, the important part is the experience... not the mechanics.

You can do "everything right" and still not get an answer to your prayer.

The strictest way to fast is to go without food and drink for the 24 hour period.

Some are very comfortable with just giving up food and still drinking water... although I admit to wondering who uses the church water fountains on fast Sunday. :)

It's a personal experience and it's between you and God.

Remember Matthew 6:16-18

16 ¶Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

17 But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;

18 That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

So would you or Vort recommend, just to be clear, no water as well during the 24 hour fast? Or is it JUST food? I want to be absolutely clear, since I live in Texas and the idea of a dry throat is not exactly making for a great time. Thanks. I just want to know for certain.

Honestly, I'm not sure what (pronounced "hwat") to tell you, Hyena. My recommendation would be to eat dinner, making sure you drink lots of water, then abstain from both food and water until dinner 24 hours later. But if you've never fasted before, doing an immediate and full fast might be more discouraging than anything.

When I was fifteen, I decided to get my patriarchal blessing. (That's a blessing you can get that a man called a "patriarch" gives you one time in your life -- you'll learn all about it later.) Even though I had rarely fasted, I decided I wanted to do a "real" fast for the blessing. I managed to do it, but the result was I was weak and a bit headachy for my blessing, then immediately afterward gorged myself and ended up throwing it all up. Ugh. That is why I suggest to people who are not used to fasting that they NOT fast before their patriarchal blessing or going to the temple for the first time.

If you want to give a try at a full fast, I think that's great. Go for it. If you want to drink a little water during the fast to keep from getting dehydrated, then try that. If you think a full 24-hour fast is just too much, try something a bit less, like fasting for 15 hours or so.

Sorry to be wishy-washy. Fasting is a principle of power that all too many Latter-day Saints never learn to do, so I would never suggest that you NOT fast. On the other hand, I would hate to see you try in all earnestness to do something that you ended up feeling was just too difficult or painful.

I guess the bottom line is: If you feel like you want to do a full fast, then DO IT. Pray before and during, and God will give you the strength. Meanwhile, you will learn a lot about yourself, and you WILL feel more spiritually sensitive (assuming you look inward at your spirit and not worry about being hungry). In such a situation, it really is easier many times to feel the Spirit of God guiding you. Go for it! And please let us know how it goes.

Well I began my fast last night around 10 pm, mostly because it was a convenient time. I was already preparing to pray and reading the Book of Mormon. so I figured it was as good a time as any.

But I didn't fully realize that drinking water was bad too and already drank some this morning when I woke, so I'm contemplating attempting to go the duration without water or just drinking water this time and next time attempting to do it without the benefit of water.

Ironically, the hunger part is not really bothering me... it's the THOUGHT of eating. I'm consumed with thoughts of foods and all the things I want to eat that I could eat right now if I only quit. It's been a little over 13 hours now. I feel like I've done well enough, I could just end it here and now, but I feel I made a commitment so I'd probably better stick to it to get the best result.

In a sidebar, some of you might be pleased to know that I took your advice and chatted with some nice LDS girls on Mormon.org and they gave my information to an online missionary who immediately emailed me and so now I've been communicating with him pleasantly. I feel a little sad because I suppose that means my time here on the forums is somewhat over since I'm certain he can or should be able to answer any questions I need to learn about the Mormon church.

I sincerely thank all of the wonderful people who have provided their guidance and support over the past couple of weeks.