People that chill your blood

Backroads

This happened this morning. Man came into the office, got some stuff, and left. Very simple, didn't linger.

He had me absolutely shaking, and I can't explain why or name anything creepy he did. This guy just had a very bad presence. I wasn't the only one freaked out.

Do you think this is something just paranoia, or can there ever be anything legitimate?

This happened this morning. Man came into the office, got some stuff, and left. Very simple, didn't linger.

He had me absolutely shaking, and I can't explain why or name anything creepy he did. This guy just had a very bad presence. I wasn't the only one freaked out.

Do you think this is something just paranoia, or can there ever be anything legitimate?

Oh no way. I met a guy once that I KNEW he was a serial killer. Not kidding. He HATED women big time. Sometimes we are given warnings by the spirit and it pays to stand up and listen.

Sometimes it's paranoia, sometimes it's legitimate. The trick is in getting to know yourself well enough to tell one from the other.

I had sometimes had weird feelings about people, but nothing as intense as this. It also concerns me a few of my co-workers felt the same. Makes me wonder if it's more than paranoia here.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I am reading The Gift of Fear by Gavin DeBecker and he talks about how we get these kinds of feelings from our intuition and we should definately listen to them. There are things that our unconscious mind picks up on, and then warns us. DeBecker says if we listen to these warnings it will help to keep us safe.

Another thing he teaches is that a rapist needs two things: Privacy and Control. As women and especially as church members we feel a need to be "nice" and "polite"...but the point is when you feel uncomfortable with someone even when you can't explain why make certain that you are not put into a position where you are alone (privacy) with them...even if it means you have to be "rude".

Guest LiterateParakeet

And its not rude to protect yourself. A normal sane person will see that I would hope.

I agree. I think though that we need to recognize it and teach our daughters that being "nice" is not always the best course.

If a woman is alone in a parking garage, for example, a decent guy would likely understand that the very act of approaching her, for any reason, would make her nervous. He would stay away. Someone with alterior motives, on the other hand, will approach and turn on the charm, then we, women, hesitate to be rude to the nice guy that is setting off alarm bells in our heads.

The Gift of Fear by Gavin De Becker is a wonderful book that has actually helped decrease my anxiety because I understand that listening to my intuition (a gift from Heavenly Father) is a way to be safer. Then I can relax more at other times.

Understanding is a very good way to help yourself. Now to be brave and carry forth with the knowledge. I admit I even hesitated to mention the man who scared me in my first post on this thread for fear people would just think I was nuts even though it was absolutely true. Its not enough to just know. We have to be sure to take heed as well.

There's a few select individuals that I can't stand but I wouldn't say that they "chill my blood" - I'm certainly not afraid of them.

Anyway, Backroads, I think you're well on your way to motherhood :) At least, when I was pregnant but long before my delivery date, I seemed to have a heightened sense of my surroundings. I felt more charitable and compassionate when I noticed other mothers out and about with their kiddos, and I was on high-alert when I noticed shady characters lingering outside the grocery store, for example. The simplest advice I can offer is listen to your gut, and don't be afraid to act on it, even if it ends up being overkill. Better safe, and even a bit embarrassed, than sorry and in dangerous.

What's the worst that can happen by following your intuition? You look foolish? That is much better than the alternative. Not to freak you out, but maybe when you leave today you should have someone with you, just in case the guys was scoping the place out.

One of my thoughts was, "I hope he's not working directly with Scouts".

He is in scouts? Oh no. Now what do you do with that knowledge? If he is in scouts at least check him out. Kids deserve your doing that.

Don't know. Which is why I wanted to find out his name and check on that. He pretty much came into pick up some stuff from the shop and drop off some paperwork for others. With the high LDS population in my council, he could very well be working with Scouts without actually be officially working with Scouts. If that makes any sense.

Don't know. Which is why I wanted to find out his name and check on that. He pretty much came into pick up some stuff from the shop and drop off some paperwork for others. With the high LDS population in my council, he could very well be working with Scouts without actually be officially working with Scouts. If that makes any sense.

It does make sense. I am glad you are checking it out.

Nope, I don't think it is paranoia. It is the Holy Ghost telling you this guy is creepy and to steer clear of him.

For the 30+ years I was inactive in church AND bartending/cocktailing I had this same feeling about some of the customers - male and female. I called them "Women's Intuition", "Gut Feeling". I acted on them just the same. Refused to serve them, had the bouncer remove them, and when it was my Tavern, I had them leave.

Even though I was not living up to my baptismal covenants, the Holy Ghost was still whacking me in the head telling me to keep clear of these creeps.

When I came back to church, and lived up to my covenants, I rediscovered how the Holy Ghost talks to & comforts me - and lo and behold, it was identical to the "Women's Intuition", "Gut Feeling" and the "Whacking up along side my head"!

Heed your feeling, tell your supervisor(s)/superior(s) and do a back ground check on him.

Never, never doubt these feelings.

Nope, not paranoia. Always trust your intuition! It is the Holy Spirit trying to warn you!

OK, just wondering. Was it the way he was dressed? Did he not meet your eyes? Was his manner gruff or awkward? Did his hands shake?

I agree that the Holy Spirit can warn us of impending danger but I also think we can be quick to judge a person because of almost imperceptible characteristics. Perhaps the guy has a social anxiety disorder that causes uncomfortable interactions with people. Maybe he was a member of a ward who was given a calling to keep records on the scouts and pick up all the badges or what not. Maybe that's the only calling he's capable of doing and even that is extremely difficult for him. Maybe he is a guy who just got some very bad news or is dealing with a chronic distressing situation that causes him to interact poorly with people.

I think it's important to learn social cues and be wary of red flags but in a setting like work, if you're with other people in the office or wherever and not in a vulnerable situation, be "normal" and Christlike to him and skip the freak out thing because you could have him pegged completely wrong.

There was a similar post by a forum member. He was in bend oregon. Some woman came up to him and was asking some odd questions about his 4x4 and she was blunt and to the point. He said she looked a bit rough, then notices about 6 other guys standing near by. He felt threatened and for good reason. Others in the forum suspected they were drug dealers who ran a meth lab. It was discussed that maybe they wanted to steel the 4x4 from him for the transportation of drugs from labs in the mountains.

I used to work at a hotel on the night shift. One night I came in and the girl on the earlier shift told me that someone had checked in that gave her the creeps. I asked her what he did that was so odd and she admitted there was nothing he did that she could put her finger on.

A few days later someone calls 911 from a room and in a few minutes the hotel is swarming with cops, guns pulled.

The man was a kidnapper and was doing some very very bad things in that room. Thankfully the girl got loose enough to call 911.