A Difference Of Opinion

puterguy01

So I noticed my brother, almost 19 and preparing to serve a mission, started listening to rap music the other day. When I asked him why in the world he was listening to something like that, he told me that he just wanted to have experienced it.

I was talking to one of my friends about this and she said that it makes sense becuase then you can come out from having "experiencing the evil" on top and better off.

I think it's just playing chicken with Satan. Any thoughts?

I'm having a similar experience. When I was younger, I absolutely couldn't stand to listen to country music. Slowly, as country has become more accepted as "normal", it has become ingrained into the culture around me. Now I have noticed that I actually don't mind the "classic country" music. A co-worker sometimes puts on old country music sung by Johnny Cash or Kenny Rogers, and I catch myself singing along. I realized that I have become desensitized to the hideousness that is country music, to the point that I tolerate some of it some times. I still have my standards, that I won't put up with anything newer than 15 years old, but it bothers me that I have been desensitized to the evil that is country music. How can I deal with this? Any ideas?

I'm having a similar experience. When I was younger, I absolutely couldn't stand to listen to country music.

Could that have been because your parents/authority figures liked it and you were just rebelling?

Slowly, as country has become more accepted as "normal", it has become ingrained into the culture around me. Now I have noticed that I actually don't mind the "classic country" music.

Or In Other Words, now that you are the Grown Up, you are no longer rebelling against the adults of your youth and can admit freely that you like "Classic County Music"

A co-worker sometimes puts on old country music sung by Johnny Cash or Kenny Rogers, and I catch myself singing along. I realized that I have become desensitized to the hideousness that is country music, to the point that I tolerate some of it some times. I still have my standards, that I won't put up with anything newer than 15 years old, but it bothers me that I have been desensitized to the evil that is country music. How can I deal with this? Any ideas?

I think it is not desensitized to country music. I think you have always liked it, you are just not a rebellious youth now, thus you can admit that you like it.

My Mother and Grandmother always listened to County Music. My Dad listened to Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, etc. My schoolmates listened to the latest Rock and Roll, I loved the Gospel music from Church and from hearing it from one of our neighbors who was a Southern Baptist - so I heard quite a range of music styles.

I still like a variety of music styles. I also dislike the Acid Rock, Heavy Metal, and that genre. I never could tolerate being around those who beat on pots and pans and made the electronic musical instraments "scream"!

Not all Rap is horrible, I read somewhere about a young singer who was doing Christian (Gospel) Rap.

Back to topic: Should one dabble with evil prior to going on a mission? NO. Should one dabble with evil prior to accepting a Church Calling? NO. In Other Words- One should NEVER dabble in/with evil EVER!

Depends on the "rap artist" I guess but I can't help but think, "Whatever is crude, vulgar, profane, and evil; think upon such things." :rolleyes:

I agree Dr.T - but from what I read about this Christian Rapper - the words were not Crude, vulgar, profane and evil.

Any song that has those kinds of words should not be listened to, heck - anybody who is spewing forth crude, vulgar, profane, and evil words should not be listened to or read.

Now Em content-that's a different story.

True, the content of Eminem songs are certainly more distressing than the music.

It's not the rhythm Puterguy. Why do u hold to that?

Think about it. Say you go and listen to some EFY and then rap music. What's the difference? It's the mood. It's how you feel and what you're thinking after you listen.

Correct CG, different tempos have different effects on our person but that in itself is not necessarily negative. Being ampted up and rocking out isn't necessarily bad. When you meet God, in person, will your body be calm and not rocking inside? Body reactions does not make it necessarily bad. If it makes you aggressive or uneasy then that is different. If you are saying a beat with base makes you angry-I have a hard time understanding why that is because it doesn’t to me.

Dr. T

So I noticed my brother, almost 19 and preparing to serve a mission, started listening to rap music the other day. When I asked him why in the world he was listening to something like that, he told me that he just wanted to have experienced it.

I was talking to one of my friends about this and she said that it makes sense becuase then you can come out from having "experiencing the evil" on top and better off.

I think it's just playing chicken with Satan. Any thoughts?

You are right.

Hi Puterguy01,

Please forgive my ignorance, but is all rap music evil? I'm not talking about whether or not you like the style, but whether all rap music is inherently evil. Is there some rap music that is not inherently evil but that you don't like anyway because it doesn't appeal to you? If so, what kind was your brother listening to?

If he was listening to bad stuff, on the one hand I wouldn't judge him too harshly--there are worse vices by far. However, it may be good to explain to him why you think it unwise to listen to stuff like that. It's not exactly conducive to the Spirit and doesn't prepare one well for a mission.

I think you already know that experimenting with evil just to have the experience is not such a good idea. (Understatement of the day!!)

Have you talked to your parents about this?

Dror

<div class='quotemain'>

The artist was Eminem. Personally, I have a hard time believing that any rap music, even Christian rap, is wholesome. How can such a rhythm invite the spirit?

I don't believe rap-rhythm is a repellent to the Spirit. Gospel rap is gospel music.

When we decide whether or not to listen to certain music, we should base our decision on the 13th article of faith. We really cannot say if one kind of music is all bad or all good.

I remember when rap music became popular in my home. I used to tell me kids they couldn't listen to that because it robbed me of my spirit. They would look at me and roll their eyes but still know I meant it. I tried to show them a difference between music with a down beat and music with an upbeat. I think they got my point, not to say they never listened to it though. :mellow:

I think individual tolerance for rap music is based on our exposure.

A lot of how you feel about a style of music is essentially what it brings to mind. If your exposure to rap music (including impressions of rap music based on others' opinions) makes you think of things that are bad, then you will be inclinded to dislike the feel of the music, no matter what the words are.

I hope the Country music poster was tongue-in-cheek.

I will agree with one poster that sometimes exposure to something bad can serve as a catalyst for strengthening our testimonies, but I do not advocate intentional exposure to known spiritual dangers.

I am of the school that the lyrics are what make a song terrible (bad in the sense of sin), more than the rythm. However, I will also include my personal opinion that a lot of rap is devoid of creativity, period. I love heavy beats, I guess I would call it hip hop sooner than I would call it rap. I write music and I really am excited to introducing rap elements to my songs. Even when I record songs in a different style, the bridge or the texture additions will have rap (meaning, to me, word chanting with a minimum of pitch element to it).

I avoid Eminem most of the time. I am not completely antithetical to him -- he's got a life journey just like the rest of us; I believe he's trying to go forward. But if I were to 'join' him, that might possibly take me backwards; that's my belief for my life and musical choices. However, I LOVE his song 'When I'm Gone'. It completely resonates with me.

Also, if people are wanting to taste rap or think there might be some nice rap songs out there, here are two to begin with: 'I Feel My Savior's Love' from the Singles Ward soundtrack (of course, this isn't sacrament meeting material, but neither is jazz) (also, a little more R & B than rap, but still). Or a song I also love, but I am not sure who the artist is, but it is called 'One Mic' (pronounce One Mike, as in a microphone). It was from five years ago probably now. There are others over the years I've been partial to, but they don't come to mind at present.

Also a couple of hip hop, rap or dancing movies I recommend for their spiritual content are one, 'Honey' (Jessica Alba) and 'You Got Served'.

What I love about Rap Music: By Earl

Rap artists either come from poor hostile childhood's or pretend to. They then write "music" relating their hardship lives to express the "hardships" they've had to overcome and just how good they looked doing it with all their bling bling.

Well, turns out rap isnt respected unless its based on some kind of truth so, the rap community tries to live up to the image its created by getting some bling in their grills and picking retarded fights with eachother..ie Westcoast vs Eastcoast (I mean really, didnt we learn from North vs South...guess not) so anyway after you create your own filth and wickedness you write more "music" about it and just to make sure people watch you "sing" about it with visual aids such as expensive cars, planes, and dont forget the ALL IMPORTANT thong wearing booty shakin ghetto girls randomly "dancing" in every shot. Oh, and dont forget to throw a few wads of cash at the camera now and then just to "prove" that you're a big shot now that you've clawed your way out of poverty.

Its a cycle. Make life bad, write words about it, sell records based on the crud you yourself create, and then go create more mysery and begin again. That or take the Eminem route and just bash other celebrities for lack of any artistic talent all together.

Now, for you hardcore rap fans out there who will argue that some of these artists really did come from hard lives...thats because the ones they modle themselves after are the ones who influenced the very dog eat dog mentality and life style they chose to live....and later profess to be the victims of....so they could write "music" about it and thus keep the ball rolling. I dont think rap music the style is bad. Just the lyrics and mentality and spirit behind it. I have heard some main stream rap that I really enjoyed and would listen to with prophet. Like "Do your chain hang low? Do it wobble to the flow? Do it shine in the light? Is it platnumn is it gold? Do you throw it over your sholder? If it hot it make you cold, do your chain--hang--low?

Now, moving on to modern country music...GAG Where did the talent go? Willie, Johnny, Mearl, etc where have you gone? Toby Kieth? *chokes to death*

I

While not a fan of rap music I must come to a defense of music. I agree with the person who said it is the lyrics that you should consider more than the beat.

I could give you references, with enough time of almost any genre of music that has questionable lyrics from Cecelia by Simon and Garfunkel.

Around the world in a pickup truck by Garth Brooks and rap songs going back to Public Enemy #1 on down from 20 years ago to today.

Lyrics are what make a song obscene.

In my not so humble opinion.

Ben Raines