Leaving the Church Because Pianists Aren't Paid

MorningStar

So this is a new one. I talked to a lady who said her sister left the church because other churches pay their pianists/organists and she was sick of being overworked.

I'm guessing this happened around Christmas time. :lol:

Really, we pianists just need to set boundaries with people - let them know we will play with x amount of notice for x amount of songs and expect others to simplify if it's too much for us. It does get pretty rough when you are the only available accompanist. I joked with a friend that I wouldn't leave the church over that. I'll just put a tip jar on the piano.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So this is a new one. I talked to a lady who said her sister left the church because other churches pay their pianists/organists and she was sick of being overworked.

I'm guessing this happened around Christmas time. :lol:

Really, we pianists just need to set boundaries with people - let them know we will play with x amount of notice for x amount of songs and expect others to simplify if it's too much for us. It does get pretty rough when you are the only available accompanist. I joked with a friend that I wouldn't leave the church over that. I'll just put a tip jar on the piano.

I know that pianists can be hard to come by in some wards/branches. I give kudos to all that have this calling.

I love the tip jar idea! :lol:

I'm the only available accompanist at the moment for songs beyond the primary book/hymnal. I have three pretty difficult songs I'm working on and a bunch of not so difficult. Sometimes I have to ice my arms, especially for this duet piece for stake choir because we have to play at weird angles. I spent 6 hours on a piano bench on Sunday between Primary, two ward choir rehearsals, stake choir, and a musical number. Craziness. Then the thought enters my head, "Oh my gosh. What if I got sick?! I'll ruin the whole program!"

I figure I'm getting my parents' money's worth for my piano lessons. :D

So you know how I'm supposed to play some chime sounds on that one song at the end? N and I were strongly considering bringing a triangle or xylophone as a joke. "DING!" But then she thought he might say, "YES! I like that!" :lol: So, so tempting. It's a G, in case you're wondering. You know, in case you want to play a chime sound from the back.

On a related note, I'm going to start requesting quarters every time someone in the ward hands me a piece of music and says "I looked at this, it doesn't seem very hard." We'll be out of debt in no time. Add a tip jar to the equation and we could add a wing to our house. If the piece doesn't look that hard, why aren't they playing it?

So you know how I'm supposed to play some chime sounds on that one song at the end? N and I were strongly considering bringing a triangle or xylophone as a joke. "DING!" But then she thought he might say, "YES! I like that!" :lol: So, so tempting. It's a G, in case you're wondering. You know, in case you want to play a chime sound from the back.

I will smuggle in my triangle Sunday morning at 8:00.

On a related note, I'm going to start requesting quarters every time someone in the ward hands me a piece of music and says "I looked at this, it doesn't seem very hard." We'll be out of debt in no time. Add a tip jar to the equation and we could add a wing to our house. If the piece doesn't look that hard, why aren't they playing it?

Hahahahaha!!!!! Ask them what looks easy about it. Is it the 5 sharps? The three key changes?

One year I volunteered at an elementary school to help out with an autistic child. The kids were preparing and practicing for their Christmas production, and it just so happened that on the day I was scheduled to sub, their pianist couldn't make it. I had briefly told one of the teachers that I played the piano during casual conversation BEFORE it was realised that their pianist was MIA. I got stuck playing the piano MOST of that day, with little 1-1 attention on the special needs child I was assigned to BUT there were a couple teacher aides that were wonderful with him as I helped out.

I get totally bogged down with learning music and performing around Christmas. But that to me IS Christmas. Music is the most accessible vehicle for me to feel the Spirit. I love Christmas music. I love hearing it, practicing it, and performing it. Like The Little Drummer Boy, I feel like it is one gift I can give the Savior for His birthday.

What a whiner. LOL

Hahahahaha!!!!! Ask them what looks easy about it. Is it the 5 sharps? The three key changes?

I had someone recently hand me some music and say, "This is much harder to sing than it is to play. It's in the key of C." Huh. I think you meant C#. Critical difference. I'm just going to pick a new key each time I play it and see if he notices.

One year I volunteered at an elementary school to help out with an autistic child. The kids were preparing and practicing for their Christmas production, and it just so happened that on the day I was scheduled to sub, their pianist couldn't make it. I had briefly told one of the teachers that I played the piano during casual conversation BEFORE it was realised that their pianist was MIA. I got stuck playing the piano MOST of that day, with little 1-1 attention on the special needs child I was assigned to BUT there were a couple teacher aides that were wonderful with him as I helped out.

When one of my best friends got married, her pianist flaked. She didn't get sick. She just plain forgot and this was after she had told her in a rather demanding tone to leave her $100 on the piano in an envelope. The bride was freaking and one of our friends just happened to have wedding music in her car. Woo hoo!

So did you ever find out what happened to the pianist?

When one of my best friends got married, her pianist flaked. She didn't get sick. She just plain forgot and this was after she had told her in a rather demanding tone to leave her $100 on the piano in an envelope. The bride was freaking and one of our friends just happened to have wedding music in her car. Woo hoo!

So did you ever find out what happened to the pianist?

When my aunt got married, the bishop who was to be performing the ceremony had forgotten and was mowing his lawn.

I can't decide if that is worse than a missing pianist, though.

I have learned that it's important to require proper notice to play something. I'm a good sight reader, but it's not fair to put me on the spot and expect me to perform or even practice a new song literally at a moment's notice.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine. :)

Edited by Eowyn
superfuous "d"

I get totally bogged down with learning music and performing around Christmas. But that to me IS Christmas. Music is the most accessible vehicle for me to feel the Spirit. I love Christmas music. I love hearing it, practicing it, and performing it. Like The Little Drummer Boy, I feel like it is one gift I can give the Savior for His birthday.

What a whiner. LOL

Me too. I just wish I could divide the duties sometimes because one of these years, I'll come down with some barfing illness and it will not end with, "Wow! Sis. MorningStar can barf and play at the same time!" I woke up feeling sick on Sunday and that made me worry a bit. I almost had to leave in the middle of our practice.

When my aunt got married, the bishop who was to be performing the ceremony had forgotten and was mowing his lawn.

I can't decide if that is worse than a missing pianist, though.

I sang at a wedding once where the preacher didn't show, so someone called the local branch president. He had known the groom's first wife and said HER name during the vows, instead of the bride's. I'm pretty sure the bride was too drunk to notice, though.

It was a lovely event. :rolleyes:

I have learned that it's important to require proper notice to play something. I'm a good sight reader, but it's not fair to put me on the spot and expect me to perform or even practice a new song literally at a moment's notice.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute and emergency on mine. :)

Most of the things I'm given I can sight read, but that doesn't mean I have time to squeeze in a practice when I have four children who have piano, Scouts, concerts, homework (that makes them cry), family obligations, Christmas to plan, piano lessons, etc.

One of the greatest lessons I've learned in my adulthood is that "no" is a complete sentence. Someone asked me last night if I would do a piano solo at an activity for her in a couple of weeks. It felt good to say, "I won't do that, but have fun!"

I was recently asked to serve in a calling. I was brought up that you don't turn down a calling...so, I agreed to think about it. I did, for a period of days, including a lot of prayer and fasting. Then I wrote what started as a brief note and finished at 5 pages to the members of the bishopric and the requesting auxiliary. I explained how I saw the program, what I thought was necessary support from leaders, and the rest of the ward, and how I felt I would act/react to various challenges that this calling would present as well as my priorities with regards to family, work, church, etc. I closed by letting them know if they felt this was where the Lord needed me I was happy to serve, but they should have this information up front.

Then I didn't hear from them for 3 weeks.

It came to pass, that a member of the bishopric pulled me aside and said that my note had scared some people even though they thought it was spot on and probably needed to be said. And it came to pass that they decided not to extend that calling to RMGuy, but rather to extend the call to serve as the primary pianist. And it came to pass that RMGuy was pleased to say yes, and there was peace throughout the land.

:)

-RM

I think many, many, many members of the church have a very hard time saying "no". I think it comes with our desire to serve and do good. Perhaps we need a special Sunday School class where we all get small mirrors and just practice saying "nope, sorry..."

-RM

I may not say 'no' directly, but I have found that several return questions seem to shed light on the issue. Specifically,

"What exactly do you mean by the word 'play' ?"

"What's the over/under on accuracy?"

"How important is the actual key to you?"

"Is it written by Janice Kapp Perry?" *

"Are you opposed to incorporating kazoos into the accompaniment?"

It's shocking that I don't get asked more often, what with my obvious willingness to honor all types of requests.

* Apologies to all the JKP fans out there. Not meant to offend.