following personal revelation

Gwen

There has been a lot of talk about Nephi and Laban. I do not feel a prompting to kill anyone or anything quite so extreme.

The inspiration I think I'm receiving is the opposite of death. I feel like it may be time to have another child. Though there is a lot going on in our lives right now that anyone logically planning a family would say that it's insane to have another baby at this point. Which is what inspired the OP.

There has been a lot of talk about Nephi and Laban. I do not feel a prompting to kill anyone or anything quite so extreme.

I don't believe anyone is referencing Nephi and Laban as an example for you to kill anyone, they share Nephi and Laban as an example that sometimes when the Lord commands it may go against what a person may consider to be logical.

Others could have simply shared Abraham and Isaac, not that we should sacrifice our sons, but that we should obey the Lord's counsel through personal revelation.

The inspiration I think I'm receiving is the opposite of death. I feel like it may be time to have another child. Though there is a lot going on in our lives right now that anyone logically planning a family would say that it's insane to have another baby at this point. Which is what inspired the OP.

Good post - My family is increasing as well - but for me it is grand children. But there is a season for all things - even a season of war and a season of peace - a season of life and a season of death.

I pray your season of life remain unchanged and another season - if it does come is short.

The Traveler

Gwen, my husband had the same experience Christmas Eve! We're a little more spiritual than usual on Christmas Eve. While he was wrapping the kids' presents he said that he had this strange revelation that we will have another child... he said that he feels he should be wrapping more presents for the children, one with pink wrapper. That made me stop with my mouth open in shock. Uhm - I don't have working fallopian tubes, hello... that doesn't make sense. And he said, he doesn't know how we're going to have a baby, he just knows that we're going to have one. And my brain went - uhm, my eldest is only 11 years old... can't be his baby! So, I asked him - adoption? And he said he has this vague image of a little girl with my face... uhm... that really doesn't make any sense.

So, I guess I'm going to wait if there is more information forthcoming.

If these thoughts make you feel good, or if you have goods feeling after praying about them, then I think you should do it--pending you are in a stable relationship / environment.

On another thought, I never see you put anyone else down, or have an compulsive need to correct those that might not agree with you. Or maybe I just haven't caught you yet. You seem soooo...happy. I envy you.

You should do what the Lord tells you. I wish you all the happiness in the world.

We had some family over tonight and somehow having a baby was brought up (in a very general way not anyone specific) and one of the cousins says "there won't be anymore kids in our family" to which the parents laughed and said "that's right".

At that point my oldest says "we have another boy for our family"

I chuckled and said, "why do you say that"

he says, "I don't know, just a thought I had".

lol

The problem with revelation that doesn't line up with logic is sometimes you don't have good feelings with the thoughts. The whole prospect of the situation is a bit scary. That makes it very hard to sort out what to do.

Are the feelings against logic the revelation and your logic is you fighting it..... or the other way around... you have some crazy idea and the logic is the lord's way of saying 'look around you, is that the best idea'?

And thank you for the compliment kloud, but don't envy me. We are all here to be tested and we all have our issues. :)

Sometimes I find revelation quite difficult to understand and maybe even a little more difficult to follow.

The concept seems quite simple. God speaks to man through the Holy Ghost. Revelation.

But if it was that simple then why is their conferance talk after conferance on how to receive and recognize revelation. I'm often asking myself, was that me or the Holy Ghost telling me that? You can go a little nutty if you anylise that too much. Sometimes I though it was the holy ghost only to come up to a dead end.

Not long ago while driving I had a clear impression to go visit a less active member. When I went to their house, they weren't home. Yet other times things happen precisely as I've followed the prompting.

I find this can happen with blessings as well. Sometimes the words flow like a tap, other times I'm gasping to find the next word.

What would you do (or have you done if you've been there) if you felt you were receiving revelation to do something that went against all logic and sanity?

Personally, I would pray fervently, asking for the Spirit to witness to me the truth and begin fasting if necessary. Obedience is always the correct answer.

The Nephi/Laban example is another matter entirely. Nephi had been visited by the Lord as had Abraham, Enoch, Noah, Moriancumer and many others who are given tasks to perform. But this enters the realm of calling and election, administering of angels, receiving the Second Comforter, etc. wherein the Lord gives us tasks to perform (where much is given, much is required).

Sometimes I find revelation quite difficult to understand and maybe even a little more difficult to follow.

The concept seems quite simple. God speaks to man through the Holy Ghost. Revelation.

But if it was that simple then why is their conferance talk after conferance on how to receive and recognize revelation. I'm often asking myself, was that me or the Holy Ghost telling me that? You can go a little nutty if you anylise that too much. Sometimes I though it was the holy ghost only to come up to a dead end.

Not long ago while driving I had a clear impression to go visit a less active member. When I went to their house, they weren't home. Yet other times things happen precisely as I've followed the prompting.

I find this can happen with blessings as well. Sometimes the words flow like a tap, other times I'm gasping to find the next word.

"I think I'll fast."

"Start fasting."

"I wonder how John is doing."

"Visit John."

"Maybe it's faster to take the highway."

"Take the next entrance."

I have found in my life the subtle difference between my own thoughts and the promptings of the Spirit, which usually come in very brief, concise commands to the point. Notice the differences in the above examples. Some times the reason is not known until much later. In any case, obedience is always the correct choice. Sometimes you are commanded to do something for the sake of testing your obedience. The more you tune in to the Spirit and obey, the more you are trusted to labor for the Lord and the stronger your bond with Him grows. This is part of the process of developing a close, personal tangible relationship with Him.

Sooner or later, one has to transcend the reason. The process can be exceptionally painful if one tries to hold onto their static reality map instead of letting the breakdown of reality pass, stepping out of the mind and into the physical world for the first time - able to see for the first time since the preventative program of the old mind is finally gone, into the new world order where the spirit, freed from the sensual and material, is openly visible with the senses and not with mental concepts which were used to filter "reality" or rather hide from it before. Truth is usually painful at first but sweet in the end, just as all evil is always sweet at first, sometimes for an entire lifetime but bitter in the end: no one drinks bitter poison, and most medicines are unpalatable.

Proverbs 14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Revelations 21:1 1 And I saw a new heaven (mind) and a new earth (internal reality map): for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea (Binah בינה or sorrow).

"I think I'll fast."

"Start fasting."

"I wonder how John is doing."

"Visit John."

"Maybe it's faster to take the highway."

"Take the next entrance."

I have found in my life the subtle difference between my own thoughts and the promptings of the Spirit, which usually come in very brief, concise commands to the point. Notice the differences in the above examples. Some times the reason is not known until much later. In any case, obedience is always the correct choice.

Not sure I follow - for example how do you know the difference in "obedience" to the promptings of the spirit and subtle temptations leading to sin?

Sometimes you are commanded to do something for the sake of testing your obedience. The more you tune in to the Spirit and obey, the more you are trusted to labor for the Lord and the stronger your bond with Him grows. This is part of the process of developing a close, personal tangible relationship with Him.

I really think an element is missing from your statement - I believe the element that is missing deals directly with covenants, commandments and discipline. If our thoughts are not disciplined and centered on Christ - our "thoughts" (spiritual promptings) are nothing more than an exercise in futility.

Disciplining our thoughts are a prerequisite in being able to distinguish the subtle whisperings of the spirit. I am quite convinced that a undisciplined person has no real clue what a prompting of the spirit is. (see James 1:5-6)

The Traveler

Sooner or later, one has to transcend the reason.

I think it is possible that you have miss entirely the "logic" Jesus employes in his teachings and scripture. Jesus consistently employed parables and metaphor to "symbolically" address his methods - without the disciplines of simple straight forward logic his "stories" are nothing but fables.

The process can be exceptionally painful if one tries to hold onto their static reality map instead of letting the breakdown of reality pass, stepping out of the mind and into the physical world for the first time - able to see for the first time since the preventative program of the old mind is finally gone, into the new world order where the spirit, freed from the sensual and material, is openly visible with the senses and not with mental concepts which were used to filter "reality" or rather hide from it before. Truth is usually painful at first but sweet in the end, just as all evil is always sweet at first, sometimes for an entire lifetime but bitter in the end: no one drinks bitter poison, and most medicines are unpalatable.

It is not truth that is painful - it is the lies we hope for that are painful - from the very beginning to as long as we continue to love them. Evil is never sweet. But evil is always easy and never requires discipline - so we lie to ourselves that what is easy is sweet. Which is - if the symbolism is understood the point the the scriptures you next quote.

Proverbs 14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Revelations 21:1 1 And I saw a new heaven (mind) and a new earth (internal reality map): for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea (Binah בינה or sorrow).

If a person is not disciplined by the commandments of G-d they lie the great lie - even to themselves concerning the sweetness of G-d. And they will not have the discipline to appreciate good and abhor evil - so they will lie to themselves and call good evil and evil good cheating themselves of discipline not believing that discipline is necessary for the mercy of G-d.

The Traveler

I have to agree on lies we hope for. They form the basis of material society and all side-path religion.

John chapter 6 explains that the truth is generally hard to hear.

60 Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it?

61 When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you?

62 What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?

63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.

65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.

Not sure I follow - for example how do you know the difference in "obedience" to the promptings of the spirit and subtle temptations leading to sin?

I really think an element is missing from your statement - I believe the element that is missing deals directly with covenants, commandments and discipline. If our thoughts are not disciplined and centered on Christ - our "thoughts" (spiritual promptings) are nothing more than an exercise in futility.

Disciplining our thoughts are a prerequisite in being able to distinguish the subtle whisperings of the spirit. I am quite convinced that a undisciplined person has no real clue what a prompting of the spirit is. (see James 1:5-6)

The Traveler

When you have been reborn--having put off the natural man, experiencing that mighty change of heart and having an eye single to the glory of God and nothing else--when you have reached this point in your life that nothing else matters but developing a Zion stature and having a perfect brightness of hope, leaving all your previous worldly desires and ambitions, preparing to build Zion, you have reached a point where you can tell the difference between:

1. The voice of the Spirit

2. The voices of temptation

3. Your own random thoughts.

This has been my experience anyway. It involves precisely what you describe--covenants, commandments and discipline. You tie them all together with obedience. When you diligently obey the voice of the Spirit, He guides you as Nephi promises in 2 Nephi 32. This is the pattern.

5 For behold, again I say unto you that if ye will enter in by the way, and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do.

6 Behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and there will be no more doctrine given until after he shall manifest himself unto you in the flesh. And when he shall manifest himself unto you in the flesh, the things which he shall say unto you shall ye observe to do.

Jesus Christ emphasizes this more powerfully:

D&C 93: 1 Verily, thus saith the Lord: It shall come to pass that every soul who forsaketh his sins and cometh unto me, and calleth on my name, and obeyeth my voice, and keepeth my commandments, shall see my face and know that I am

The Spirit will never lead you to commit sin. The Spirit will lead you to Jesus Christ and Jesus Christ will lead you to the Father.

Guest Thinker

What would you do (or have you done if you've been there) if you felt you were receiving revelation to do something that went against all logic and sanity?

Been there & did NOT follow my emotion-based interpretation of the spirit.

I am so glad I didn't! Yet, I'm kindof glad for that experience, since it helped me understand the spirit more.

Although there are times when the spirit is experienced intellectually... generally, it is more objective than our thoughts or feelings. We cannot help but attach thoughts and feelings to try to interpret the spirit.

Be careful! God is not insanity. Spiritual revelation, generally should be in line with sanity.

This is why we are asked to study it out in our minds first... to use logic, reasoning... then to harmonize it with guidance from the spirit through prayer & meditation.

Been there & did NOT follow my emotion-based interpretation of the spirit.

I am so glad I didn't! Yet, I'm kindof glad for that experience, since it helped me understand the spirit more.

Although there are times when the spirit is experienced intellectually... generally, it is more objective than our thoughts or feelings. We cannot help but attach thoughts and feelings to try to interpret the spirit.

Be careful! God is not insanity. Spiritual revelation, generally should be in line with sanity.

This is why we are asked to study it out in our minds first... to use logic, reasoning... then to harmonize it with guidance from the spirit through prayer & meditation.

Yes. Logic and reason has to be met so that it doesn't "rankle" and prevent peace within ourselves. But, there are times that we just can't understand it at the time but with the exercise of faith (that brings peace), we finally get that "oh, so that's why..." later on - sometimes, much later.

Noticed your location... Afghanistan... how is peace in your part of the world?