Will He Ever Go?

lannesackman

How the heck did you get your ALMOST 3 year old to potty train? When my 8 year old was training, he was no problem at all, he just did it!! But now I have a 3 1/2 year old that just has no desire at all!! We tried, but he just could care less whether or not he is sitting in wet pants. I can not believe that two kids from the same mold can be so different in areas like this!

sometimes it takes something cool in the bathroom... but i really don't know... i just remember my cousin had this little car shaped potty trainer! haha! as for the constipation... try prune juice or milk or something fibreful like ALmom said...

I really have no clue, but those are my suggestions. ^_^

I have 6 boys and my biggest advice is relax. He is probably tense and stressed over this new step in life. When children are stressed their bowels can slow down. Feel his abdomen and see if he has any hard lumps. Go from one hand spand away from the belly button on the right side work your way up towards his ribs. then go across his large intestines,(you should still be below the ribs) then pull down towards his left side. It should resemble a upside down U. You can massage this in little circles only going in that U and going clockwise. That should help.

Thanks guys!!

I think my posting must have been the laxative needed!! He went... on the floor... in my ROOM!!! So he had to help me clean it up..(icky). Since then he hasn't gone again.. but I tried the massage this morning.. we shall see.. He still stays dry through the night.. but gets distracted playing during the day... and has accidents (only when I am at work so it may be the sitter is a bit less diligent then I)

Blessed - It is great to meet another Alaska person here!!!

April - We are out of diapers and money to buy them... Hence why my almost three year old is potty training (he will be 3 in 2 weeks). My older son was done in 2 days.. This guy is being stubborn.. I have never been so thankful for my steam cleaner!

why? Because of her age? so many parents (especially with their first or second kids) get uptight over potty training their child early - sort of a prideful thing - "my daughter was trained by her second birthday" - "oh, very nice. we had little Joshie trained by 18 months, but he's ever so bright." - "my, my, 18 months? why did you wait so long?" etc. - makes me want to gag. Of course, I was right there with them when my oldest was training. We have six down, one to go now, and I have to say that children will train very easily when they are ready. "Ready" may be at 18 months and it may be 4 years. But when they're ready, it will almost happen by itself. Before that, it can be forced, but it's no fun for either parent or child. And when I hear that a child is potty trained before age 2, I often think that it's more the parent who's trained, not the child.

He pooped in the potty yesterday! NOw if I can get him to pee with out sticking his hand in it... or it going EVERYWHERE!! But heck he is going.. mostly by himself and staying dry through the night.. so a little pee to clean up is no big deal.

This is the 4th attempt to potty train. The other times he wasn't ready and it was a battle that wasn't worth fighting. This time he was ready and the last time he wore a diaper and it got wet he got disgusted and took it off. So I totally agree that it is when the child is ready.. My sister was 2, had no accidents.. My brother was 4 until he was fully trained.,.. and they are both very smart people.. So it is not a question of IQ.

why? Because of her age? so many parents (especially with their first or second kids) get uptight over potty training their child early - sort of a prideful thing - "my daughter was trained by her second birthday" - "oh, very nice. we had little Joshie trained by 18 months, but he's ever so bright." - "my, my, 18 months? why did you wait so long?" etc. - makes me want to gag. Of course, I was right there with them when my oldest was training. We have six down, one to go now, and I have to say that children will train very easily when they are ready. "Ready" may be at 18 months and it may be 4 years. But when they're ready, it will almost happen by itself. Before that, it can be forced, but it's no fun for either parent or child. And when I hear that a child is potty trained before age 2, I often think that it's more the parent who's trained, not the child.

I SO agree with you, Mom of J! It's so not important when they are trained. Now that it is all behind us, speaking of my son, I wonder why I stressed so much and I realize it's bc of comments like you're speaking of from others. Why do people care when your child is potty-trained? It doesn't affect them.