He told me I couldn't do it!

Bini

I woke up this morning with a brave idea. I confided to my husband that for my 30th birthday (which is in a couple years) I wanted to go skydiving. And you know what he did!? He laughed at me and said that there's no way in heck that I'd ever do it. Then he added that I couldn't do it, even if I tried!

:mad:

Mean! So then he reminds me that I'm terrified of Ferris wheels.. Sadly, it's true. He took me on one at a carnival during our courtship and I about died. Went into full on panic attack.. Yes, I'm afraid of heights! I won't even use the ski lifts.. Lol. Nope.

Is skydiving comparable to a Ferris wheel, or rollercoaster? I can handle coasters, no problem, even the wild upside down ones. I will PROVE my husband wrong about this! Now I must take the next two years to "mentally" prep.. .. ..

Edited by pam
profanity

Well the fact that you are basically strapped in when on a ferris wheel and a rollercast and are free falling from a plane when skydiving. Pretty big difference to me. And there is quite a bit of difference between a couple of hundred feet compared to 10,000-15,000 feet in the air.

If you do skydive, definitely go tandem. Here's some info:

What does freefall feel like?

Most skydivers liken the sensation of freefall to how they imagine flying or floating on a cushion of air. There is no sensation of "falling" as most people imagine and there is no "roller-coaster" sensation! It feels how you might imagine flying to feel. It is however quite noisy and naturally very windy as the air comes past you at great speed. Freefall is a really magical feeling that most people enjoy immensely and many people find highly addictive. Ever seen Superman flying across the sky in the movies? Well, freefall is probably the closest you are going to get. The average skydive from 14,000 feet gives you about 65 seconds of freefall!

Common questions and answers about skydiving. Learn to skydive with an AFF skydiving course from British Parachute Association instructors. Skydive in as little as 3 days with our skydiving course.

M.

I say 'go for it'! :D Find a good skydiving business that will allow you to tandem jump. Gives you a chance to have the experience without worrying about having to remember when to pull the cord. lol.

I went about seven years ago when my middle son turned 18 (the minimum age to jump). We had a wonderful time! The company had us go through an hour long training program and then off we went.

My husband was such a downer about the whole thing that I wouldn't let him come out to the drop zone on jump day. He had to watch the video afterwards. :P

I'll admit that ferris wheels are not my favorite things...ski lifts are even worse. Skydiving is NOTHING like that. I had absolutely no fear on the day we jumped. Had the biggest adrenalin rush of my life!

And, since it didn't happen if there weren't any pictures...

Posted Image

(My tandem instructor and I. He's the one with the beard. lol.)

I woke up this morning with a brave idea. I confided to my husband that for my 30th birthday (which is in a couple years) I wanted to go skydiving. And you know what he did!? He laughed at me and said that there's no way in heck that I'd ever do it. Then he added that I couldn't do it, even if I tried!

:mad:

Mean! So then he reminds me that I'm terrified of Ferris wheels.. Sadly, it's true. He took me on one at a carnival during our courtship and I about died. Went into full on panic attack.. Yes, I'm afraid of heights! I won't even use the ski lifts.. Lol. Nope.

Is skydiving comparable to a Ferris wheel, or rollercoaster? I can handle coasters, no problem, even the wild upside down ones. I will PROVE my husband wrong about this! Now I must take the next two years to "mentally" prep.. .. ..

Having spent much of my life in aircraft...not the same.

Skydiving is true freedom.

I have done it a few times and it was amazing to see what we take for granted is actually of little importance. Its similar to watching the cars and buildings out the window as the airplane is about to land, but the difference is your field of view and the intensity of the experience. I had a few family members berate me for being thoughtless, as they assumed, wrongly, that driving everyday to work was more safe.

For most people, it will be one of the most memorable moments of their life. Do it.