Who Wears The Mitre Hat?

Snow

My daughter who will be 16 soon had an interview with the Bishop last Sunday.

Among other things he told her that she is now old enough to date but that she is not to date one boy exclusively, rather she is supposed to date lots of boys, unless it is a returned missionary, then it can be exclusive.

First, who died and made the Bishop my daughter's father?

Second, my daughter ain't dating no 22 year old returned missionaries.

Third, my little walking shoes are styling, aren't they.

Forth, my daughter already has dated.

Fifth, there is no fifth.

That bishop has proven that he is unqualified for that job. He has overstepped his authority big time by trying to parent a teenager instead of working with you and your wife. This bishop has undercut you as a parent and I sincerely hope you don't let it go.

**** First, who died and made the Bishop my daughter's father? *****

LOL.... I might have to have a talk with such a Bish.

**** Second, my daughter ain't dating no 22 year old returned missionaries.****

No doubt.

**** Third, my little walking shoes are styling, aren't they.****

The feet in them ain't bad either.

**** Forth, my daughter already has dated. *****

Heathen!

**** Fifth, there is no fifth. *****

You already drank it?

Guest TheProudDuck

I wouldn't think so. Does your bishop's birth certificate happen to have "Colorado City" written on it?

Originally posted by TheProudDuck@Mar 17 2004, 02:08 PM

I wouldn't think so. Does your bishop's birth certificate happen to have "Colorado City" written on it?

Snow--one of the many things bishops have done and said to make me think twice before ever letting them talk to anybody in my family. They get so "full of themselves" with all the adoration they get from members they really think what they say is "inspired".

Just last week our bishop called us in---as we attend only sporadically---to "inquire" as to our "worthiness" and to challenge us to do all the "stuff". In the process, he asked my wife (in front of me, no less) a VERY personal question, in which she felt intimidated enough to reveal something very personal, and which was NO ONE's business but ours. I wanted to punch him out right there and then. I was steaming inside, but didn't want to upset my wife (as she is more of a TBM than I). These guys mean well but they are often total idiots when it comes to common sense.

Originally posted by Tr2@Mar 17 2004, 01:33 PM

That bishop has proven that he is unqualified for that job. He has overstepped his authority big time by trying to parent a teenager instead of working with you and your wife. This bishop has undercut you as a parent and I sincerely hope you don't let it go.

Trident,

I understand why you would think that and I'm not saying you are being unreasonable but it, in my view, is a little different in the Church. First, the Bishop is not a professionally trained minister. He is a guy like you and me, but older and one who has been in the service of his fellow man, hopefully to good effect for decades and decades inside the Church. In addition to his personal life, he devotes probably 25 to 30 hours per week to administering to and serving the needs of the congregation. There is no pay and I certainly don't expect more of him than he is able to deliver.

I for one am durn grateful for him and those like him.

I knew in advance what counsel he would give my daughter and neither she, nor my wife and I looked at it as stepping on our toes, though I understand if others in other circumstances my see it differently. Basically he was just laying down the guidelines the Church espouses. Personally I am quite certain that he didn't intent to usurp our parental authority.

PS. you didn't say anything about my shoes.

So tonight I attended a Young Womens meeting at the chapel cuz I have a daughter who is getting ready to enter and it was kind of an intro program.

The girls all had a part, they would hold up a picture of a notable positive role model woman and they tell a bit about her... Joan of Arc, Florence Nightengale, Eliza Snow, the Indian guide for Lewis and Clark, Ester and Eve... this is where I get lost cause Eve was smoking hot, blonde Farah Fawcett hair, naked, hold a lamb to cover her chest and kneeling behind a Bengal tiger to hide below the hip, very exotic.

...Anyway the Bishop was there so I asked my other daughter who just had an interview with him: "Whose authority do you follow regarding dating? The Bishops or your parents? She said: "Certainly I would consider my parents advice and I might listen to the Bishop but I make my own decisions thank you -- and I'm not dating any old returned missionaries."

Originally posted by Snow@Mar 17 2004, 10:46 PM

...Anyway the Bishop was there so I asked my other daughter who just had an interview with him: "Whose authority do you follow regarding dating? The Bishops or your parents? She said: "Certainly I would consider my parents advice and I might listen to the Bishop but I make my own decisions thank you -- and I'm not dating any old returned missionaries."

Good for her!!

First, the Bishop is not a professionally trained minister. He is a guy like you and me, but older and one who has been in the service of his fellow man, hopefully to good effect for decades and decades inside the Church. In addition to his personal life, he devotes probably 25 to 30 hours per week to administering to and serving the needs of the congregation. There is no pay and I certainly don't expect more of him than he is able to deliver.

By the way what does a Branch President do? Is it similar to a Bishop but smaller (even if the fella is over 6 feet tall)?

M.

I feel that your bishop has over step is bounds and that your are the MOM and that you guild her

down the path that she should go.

My son turned 16 and has is drives liescen but hes not allowed to single date until hes almost out

of school. So he has to double date or no dating at all.

Originally posted by lash4160@Mar 18 2004, 12:54 PM

I feel that your bishop has over step is bounds and that your are the MOM and that you guild her

down the path that she should go.

The MOM? Snow, when did this happen? I thought that kind of surgery was against LDS church policy/doctrine. :huh:

M.

Boy do I hear you Snow, I would be more then angry with him.

I run in to this before among old-line young women’s presidents.

One was my stake leader when I was YW president.

She visited our class a few times a year and once brought a sign to be hung in my classroom, Goals

Finish high school

Prepare to go to the Temple

Date worthy priesthood holders

This was to insure a Temple wedding.

Well I gave the sign to the bishop after I told her I refused to hang it in my classroom.

This old teaching does not fallow what our Prophet is teaching us today.

He called for young women to attend collage become selfsafishent and to continue their studies so they can if needed join the work force.

This has come after the rise of the rate of divorce.

I guess the church pardon me no disrespect here but there was large amount of divorced young mothers with little to no education. The church ends up supporting on church welfare funds.

My bishop told the stake leader she needed to rethink her guidance in more later day thinking.

I know what my bishops feeling would be on this, he told me when I was called.

He told me to guide the young women towards collage and make them selfsafishent.

Your bishop should apologize for over stepping his bounds. :ph34r:

Guest Starsky
Originally posted by Maureen+Mar 18 2004, 02:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Maureen @ Mar 18 2004, 02:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--sgallan@Mar 18 2004, 01:55 PM

It was a minor surgery......

:lol:

It must have been fast surgery since yesterday afternoon he was still a Dad. :o

M.

ROFL! :lol:

Originally posted by Maureen@Mar 18 2004, 01:16 PM

The MOM? Snow, when did this happen?

Ya'll all have noticed my shoes haven't you.

A Branch President is like a Bishop but is a different priesthood calling and does the same type of job over a smaller congregation - a branch, instead of a ward. Wards exist only where stakes are established.

Maybe I am just easier to get along with than ya'll but I got a kick out of the Bishops counsel, he has the best of intentions....

Guest Starsky
Originally posted by Snow+Mar 18 2004, 05:33 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Snow @ Mar 18 2004, 05:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Maureen@Mar 18 2004, 01:16 PM

The MOM? Snow, when did this happen?

Ya'll all have noticed my shoes haven't you.

A Branch President is like a Bishop but is a different priesthood calling and does the same type of job over a smaller congregation - a branch, instead of a ward. Wards exist only where stakes are established.

Maybe I am just easier to get along with than ya'll but I got a kick out of the Bishops counsel, he has the best of intentions....

I think that the bishop was doing all right.....

It sounds like you all have a good relationship with this daughter and are secure in your family enough to allow the bishop to say what he wanted without feeling threatened.

Originally posted by Snow@Mar 18 2004, 05:33 PM

Thanks for the info, Snow. My BIL (husband's brother) has been called as a Branch President. He is working to get his Master's degree (or either it's his PHd I can't remember which) in Psychology and travels a lot to do chartering. He is also diabetic and has had some other health scares recently, so hopefully it won't add too much extra work for him.

M.

Maureen,

A bit more... a ward may have between 200 and 800 members, or so and a stake may have 4 to 10 wards.

In less developed areas, there exist districts consisting of some number of branches that might have less that 1 or 2 hundred members each. Also, there may be a branch inside a stake to serve a specific population that isn't enough to constitute a whole ward... for example a foreign language speaking branch in the middle of an English speaking stake in polyglot areas like Los Angeles or maybe a "singles" branch.

Don't know for sure but I doubt that a Branch President holds all the priesthood "keys" as a Bishop.

I am impressed by the level of devotion you have to your leaders. Never would I permit a pastoral authority of mine to speak into my child's life without involving me somehow. I know I'm still relatively new to this parenting thing but I do think the job of raising my kids rests on my shoulders, not a man who gives advice and says "see you next month".