Looking to join the Church

Trevor92

Hello there!

I'm a 20-year-old college student currently looking to join the Church and was hoping for some advice about how to best go about doing so. I feel I have come to truly know in my heart that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is Christ's true church, but am in a bit of a predicament because I grew up in an irreligious household and have not read through the Bible, let alone all the Standard Works. I did start reading the Bible a couple months ago, but only got midway through Numbers before I realized that I couldn't stand the NLT, which is the version that I was reading. Since then I've begun re-reading the Bible using the JST and am partway through Exodus (I also obviously read the Book of Moses since it's part of the JST, and I've also read the Book of Abraham). To put it mildly, the difference is night and day. I've also researched extensively the beliefs of the Church and have read through countless threads on this website as well as articles on LDS.org to help myself better understand. As such I now really want to join the Church, and after praying about it I truly feel that it's the right thing to do, but I'm still slightly conflicted about how I should move forward:

Will I look insincere if I try to join the Church without even reading through the Bible (despite knowing what's in it for the most part)? Should I at least read the Book of Mormon first? My understanding is that it would take a year to read through all the Standard Works... On the other hand, if I were to go about joining the Church now, what would be the best way to do so? Just showing up at the nearest meetinghouse? Or would it be better to contact a missionary? To be honest, my shy tendencies make me nervous of doing either, which is part of the reason that I'm leaning toward reading more of the scripture first so I won't look like a fool. On the other hand, I feel bad delaying it any longer.

Suggestions?

Edited by Trevor92

There's no 'best' way... Just do whatever feels right (and/or least scary)

To you.

Here's an 'inbetween' option

Chat with Us | Mormon.org

You can chat with missionaries online, and they'll set up a time for the M's to come see you.

The M's DIG when people seek them out. You can imagine... Turned away all day, after day, after day. To have someone reach out to them is an exciting thing. Even if they're nowhere near where you are in your head and heart and they only see them once.

It'll take longer doing the chat & meet, than just ringing them up... But its also less scary for the shy crowd, more convenient for the night owls, etc. AWESOME tool.

I would begin reading in The Book of Mormon... because the missionaries will ask you to do so.

I would start by reading 3 Nephi 11, then Alma 32, Moroni 10 and Enos.

Getting a testimony of The Book of Mormon is like eating a pie. You don't have to read the whole thing to know that it's good. :)

There's no 'best' way... Just do whatever feels right (and/or least scary)

To you.

Here's an 'inbetween' option

Chat with Us | Mormon.org

You can chat with missionaries online, and they'll set up a time for the M's to come see you.

The M's DIG when people seek them out. You can imagine... Turned away all day, after day, after day. To have someone reach out to them is an exciting thing. Even if they're nowhere near where you are in your head and heart and they only see them once.

It'll take longer doing the chat & meet, than just ringing them up... But its also less scary for the shy crowd, more convenient for the night owls, etc. AWESOME tool.

Thanks so much, this is great!

Hi Trevor, some people have gone to the ends of the earth to find the Kingdom of God, but this is not required of you. There's a great missionary, my daughter, serving in Japan at the moment, just a short flight away on the other side of the Pacific ocean. I'm sure she would love to help you out. :)

Japan? Lucky! Just curious, did she know some Japanese beforehand or do the MTCs really teach them that quickly?

Will I look insincere if I try to join the Church without even reading through the Bible (despite knowing what's in it for the most part)? Should I at least read the Book of Mormon first?

As someone else, do what feels best. The missionaries will probably ask you to read at least parts of the BOM (they will tell you which ones). You do not have to start from Page One.

As a former Catholic, I knew bible stories, but not the bible. This didn't stop me from taking lessons and getting baptized about 2 yrs ago.

I had a hard time getting into the BOM as an investigator. I ended up watching the children's version on LDS.org so I could get an over view. Once I was baptized and it got closer to my 1 year anniversary, which is when you can go to the temple, I made a concerted effort to read the entire BOM before I took my endowments.

After you've gone through Gospel Principles class, you can go to regular Sunday School. Last year we focused on the BOM, which was very helpful for me, especially listening to the comments of the born Mormons who are very familiar with the scriptures and can talk about them with some insight. Most people in church are happy to talk to you about certain scriptures to read for certain issues, or help you understand something you've read.

If you want to be baptized, be baptized. There is plenty of time to read everything once you are on the right path.

As someone else, do what feels best. The missionaries will probably ask you to read at least parts of the BOM (they will tell you which ones). You do not have to start from Page One.

As a former Catholic, I knew bible stories, but not the bible. This didn't stop me from taking lessons and getting baptized about 2 yrs ago.

I had a hard time getting into the BOM as an investigator. I ended up watching the children's version on LDS.org so I could get an over view. Once I was baptized and it got closer to my 1 year anniversary, which is when you can go to the temple, I made a concerted effort to read the entire BOM before I took my endowments.

After you've gone through Gospel Principles class, you can go to regular Sunday School. Last year we focused on the BOM, which was very helpful for me, especially listening to the comments of the born Mormons who are very familiar with the scriptures and can talk about them with some insight. Most people in church are happy to talk to you about certain scriptures to read for certain issues, or help you understand something you've read.

If you want to be baptized, be baptized. There is plenty of time to read everything once you are on the right path.

Thanks, this whole post was really helpful! It's funny, I was thinking of watching those children's videos myself. My issue is that I sort of started out investigating things from an atheistic/skeptical/critical standpoint, but increasingly found what I was learning to resonate intensely with me. As a result, I kept reading more and more over a long period of time (getting sidetracked often along the way), and praying, and thinking philosophically about life, and now I feel as though I have a significant understanding of Christian/LDS theology without having read the scriptures per se (other than what I've mentioned as well as a lot of it which I have simply read in the process of learning about these things over the past couple years... and I can also relate to the whole "knowing bible stories, but not the bible" bit :) ).

But yeah, I'm thinking now I will go ahead and better acquaint myself with the parts of the Bible and Book of Mormon which I'm still fuzzy on, and read the most important passages for newcomers to the church that others have mentioned (something which I need to talk to the missionaries about I suppose). I did originally want to read the whole standard works first but I'm feeling that, as you say, there's plenty of time to do that and I don't want to wind up getting sidetracked again over the span of time it takes to do such a thing. Joining the church I would stay motivated because I'd be really putting things into practice, and it'd help me understand things better as well.

Edited by Trevor92

Trevor92 I was Catholic in a past life, but hadn't practiced for years. I didn't believe in the Resurrection anymore. I wasn't atheist, but I dig where you are coming from.

I tend to read a lot of histories of the Church, biographies of the presidents, etc. Maybe I should read more Scripture, but I feel more rooted in my faith by knowing where we came from and how we got here.

You may want to look at this:

It is a shortened version of Wilford Woodruff's story that I first saw at another convert's baptism. I was so moved by it, I almost started crying right there and I took it as a sign that I should be baptized next. Wilfred was looking for the truth and kept looking until he found it with the Mormons. These are the kinds of stories that resonate with me. Edited by dahlia
better url

Hi Trev, my daughter studied Japanese throughout all of her elementary and high school and 2 years at uni but in my opinion, languages are taught very poorly in most Australian schools. Despite these many years of language study, and almost 3 months of intensive training at the MTC, she still struggled with the language for the first three months or so of her mission.

The M's DIG when people seek them out. You can imagine... Turned away all day, after day, after day.

An article in The Times a few months ago said that the missionaries no longer go door-to-door, but work entirely through referrals and by social media. (This was during the Romney campaign when Mormons were in the spotlight worldwide.) If true then the "turned away day after day after day" must be a thing of the past, since they only ever meet people who are already interested.

I can well believe this too; there was a time when I could count on a visit from the Elders or Sisters at least once a year, but they've not come to our door for nearly a decade. I'm sure some people would welcome this ("It's those pesky Mormons again!") but it's also rather sad. Gone are the valliant missionaries of old, to whom a hundred "doors in the face" were just part of a day's work. You have to admire anyone who can smile through that much rejection!

Edited by Jamie123

Hi Trev, my daughter studied Japanese throughout all of her elementary and high school and 2 years at uni but in my opinion, languages are taught very poorly in most Australian schools. Despite these many years of language study, and almost 3 months of intensive training at the MTC, she still struggled with the language for the first three months or so of her mission.

Yeah, I've taken a little Japanese myself and it's a tough language! That's why I asked

An article in The Times a few months ago said that the missionaries no longer go door-to-door, but work entirely through referrals and by social media. (This was during the Romney campaign when Mormons were in the spotlight worldwide.) If true then the "turned away day after day after day" must be a thing of the past, since they only ever meet people who are already interested.

I can well believe this too; there was a time when I could count on a visit from the Elders or Sisters at least once a year, but they've not come to our door for nearly a decade. I'm sure some people would welcome this ("It's those pesky Mormons again!") but it's also rather sad. Gone are the valliant missionaries of old, to whom a hundred "doors in the face" were just part of a day's work. You have to admire anyone who can smile through that much rejection!

Well I know they were still doing it as of ~4 years ago because that was the first and only time I've ever been visited by one :) (yes sadly I rejected them)

LOL... Not here, anyway!!!

I'm a 'door knocking' convert from this year. I can promise you, they're still going door to door to door in miserably wet western Washington!

And there are missionaries who stand on Red Square (UW), and other college campuses day after day.

Being a mom to an older boy, coming from a family of boys, & having served in the military at their age... I make a point to feed the M's on a regular basis. (Hollow legs, and always starving ; ) They've got great stories. :D Most of which originate from door knocking.

I understand there are some missions where there are so many investigators (literally lining up), that there's neither time nor reason to canvass. Here? They practically need a white van, duct tape and a taser ;).

Well I know they were still doing it as of ~4 years ago because that was the first and only time I've ever been visited by one :) (yes sadly I rejected them)

LOL... Not here, anyway!!!

I'm a 'door knocking' convert from this year. I can promise you, they're still going door to door to door in miserably wet western Washington!

And there are missionaries who stand on Red Square (UW), and other college campuses day after day.

Being a mom to an older boy, coming from a family of boys, & having served in the military at their age... I make a point to feed the M's on a regular basis. (Hollow legs, and always starving ; ) They've got great stories. :D Most of which originate from door knocking.

I understand there are some missions where there are so many investigators (literally lining up), that there's neither time nor reason to canvass. Here? They practically need a white van, duct tape and a taser ;).

I found the article online: Mormons knock off and move online | The Times. (Unfortunately you need to subscribe to get the whole thing, but the first few paragraphs cover the essence of it.) I was wrong about one thing - its about proposals to stop the door-knocking, not that it has already stopped:

But soon the famously clean-shaven, clean-living Mormon missionaries might be shown the door for the last time. According to leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the doorstep has been superseded by social networks such as Facebook.

Well, after talking to the missionaries in the online chat, I gave them my info and they said I would be contacted. I told them I did not want to meet with the missionaries at my house and they said the missionaries would call first to set up a meeting wherever I wanted. I really hope they don't just show up! Way too shy for that.

So I meet with them on Saturday at 2! A little nervous, but not as much as I expected to be after a lot of prayer. I feel a little guilty though because they asked if they could stop by and I told them I'd rather meet with them at the meetinghouse. Hope I didn't offend... my living situation just makes it a little difficult!

So I meet with them on Saturday at 2! A little nervous, but not as much as I expected to be after a lot of prayer. I feel a little guilty though because they asked if they could stop by and I told them I'd rather meet with them at the meetinghouse. Hope I didn't offend... my living situation just makes it a little difficult!

No worries, the missionaries won't be offended by something like that. As a missionary I met with several different people at meetinghouses.

Guest DeborahC

If you feel inspired to join, then join.

A full blown testimony takes time to develop for some people.

It's not necessary to read the BOM or the Bible all the way through to become a member.

My vote is join, get involved, study what you can, and watch your testimony flourish.

Good luck!

One more thing: Am I expected to dress up if I'm meeting them there? Forgot to ask them on the phone.

Thanks and sorry for all the questions!

As long as your clothing is modest and doesn't have offensive slogans or something on it you'll be fine. Just remember to doff the hat if you wear one.

Are you in Seattle? I went back to Seattle for a conference soon after I was baptized. I visited my old department on campus and as I was walking across Red Square, I came across a lone elder. :(

I talked to him for a bit - Seattle must be tough duty, they ain't too godly out there. I didn't think to ask why he was there without a companion.

btw, the missionaries knocked on my door 2 years ago, so they were still doing it that recently.

Are you in Seattle? I went back to Seattle for a conference soon after I was baptized. I visited my old department on campus and as I was walking across Red Square, I came across a lone elder. :(

I talked to him for a bit - Seattle must be tough duty, they ain't too godly out there. I didn't think to ask why he was there without a companion.

btw, the missionaries knocked on my door 2 years ago, so they were still doing it that recently.

Seattle moved to Russia?