You Didn't Have Enough Children

StrawberryFields

I always imagine a paradasaical world where all people have a lot more rest than they do now. I imagine I would read, play, explore nature, garden, needlework, spiritual discussions, build a gazebo, go horse riding, etc.

In that kind of world, there would not be this crazy choice between survival and kids. It just wouldn't even be a part of the paradigm.

As a woman, I would be perfectly loved, by my mate as well as by my sisters (all the neighbor women). If I were pregnant and expecting a child it would be a perfectly sacred experience and my health would be optimum. I would glow and glow, and glow some more.

When the time came for the birth, even though it would be a challenge, it would be a time of celebration and triumph, and again, unutterable sacredness. I would be surrounded by my sisters and my mate would be there. I would be laughing and not crying (I have had births both ways for real!)

I can't imagine that under these conditions that having many children would be a problem either way. It would just be. And then your children join you as you read, play, explore nature, garden, have spiritual discussion, etc.

In this mortal life, the opportunity is to do our best to create this paradise paradigm, including the place that children have in it. However, some of may have the 'children' part of the paradise down good, and others of us may have the 'build a gazebo' part down good. We are all trying to learn and things don't turn out like paradise without A LOT of effort and maybe not even when we are making a lot of effort. We plant seeds but the weather comes between the planting and the harvest.

If you go to my 'why I work' post, you can see that I do NOT feel the need to choose between my life and my kids. I create my life, which in practical application includes what some might call career choices, AND my children come with me.

Gosh, I wish I could say a lot more, my thoughts are coming in a rush, but this is a start.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Anyone from Utah want to respond?

what does it matter where they r from? why utah?

Um.....Utah IN GENERAL has large, large LDS families. Those guys are baby makin machines, let me tell ya. I might get reamed for saying that, but really now. Is that a false statement?

yes...i know alot of familys with only 3 or 4 kids...there r also a few with 7 or so like mine...but really ppl utah isnt that different than anywhere else other than the fact that there r more LDS...but we dont act any better or worse than any other LDS person

dancegirl, totally. Utah people have lots of children. Yes, I also know many families in Utah that have 3 or 4. Just like the rest of the world. utah STILL has lots of large families!!!!! So when this post started, "You didnt have enough children", I thought it would be interesting to hear what utah/parents of large families would say. Reflection, darling, reflection.

dancegirl, totally. Utah people have lots of children. Yes, I also know many families in Utah that have 3 or 4. Just like the rest of the world. utah STILL has lots of large families!!!!! So when this post started, "You didnt have enough children", I thought it would be interesting to hear what utah/parents of large families would say. Reflection, darling, reflection.

i dont have kids myself yet, not even married...but i know how my parents think about it...its not going to affect how your judged, like others have said...unless u know u should have more but u dont. my mom wanted to be done at 5 but she new there was someone missing...turned out 2 someones. and i know my family would be missing alot had she not listened and stoped at 5.

if that makes sense

we had talked about maybe having 5 children, and we did pause with five for a long while, but we, too, had a nagging "someone's missing" feeling and now have seven. And I feel complete and done. And I couldn't imagine our family without the youngest two.

And we don't come from big families. i'm an only child and my husband is one of only two kids in his family.

It seems that Utah families need more chilren. There are lots of children around the world who need a family.

I am married and have four chilren. Two are adopted and now I left with only two. I want more chilren but I can't.

My wife and I are expecting our 4th kids and just hit our 5 yr anniversary. I think its something in the water.

Truthfully sometimes I find great joy and others times all I can do is lay curled up in a ball back in the corner saying "why oh why" as I cry myself to sleep. :lol:

For all of those people reading the tread we have had 5 children in 5 years. One of our sons passed away while my husband was in boot camp. I also have 2 other children from my first marrriage. So that leavees me at a grand total of 7 boys 0 girls. i think I am doing my part for the missionary field.

<div class='quotemain'>

My wife and I are expecting our 4th kids and just hit our 5 yr anniversary. I think its something in the water.

Truthfully sometimes I find great joy and others times all I can do is lay curled up in a ball back in the corner saying "why oh why" as I cry myself to sleep. :lol:

For all of those people reading the tread we have had 5 children in 5 years. One of our sons passed away while my husband was in boot camp. I also have 2 other children from my first marrriage. So that leavees me at a grand total of 7 boys 0 girls. i think I am doing my part for the missionary field.

Thanks for clearing that up Chantee, I was a little confused since Nate did say you and him are husband and wife. And all boys, are you going to keep trying for a girl? :)

Editing to add that I have read the whole thread and realize now that Chantee and Nate are expecting their last baby. Although I hope that Chantee is able to have a partial hysterectomy and is able keep at least one ovary, to avoid premature menopause.

M.

...We have been married for 18 months and have no plans for kids until I have completed university in 3 years....

Aphrodite, you have an excellent head on your shoulders - I think you are on the right path. If you know that you have made the right decision, don't let anyone talk you out of it. :animatedthumbsup:

M.

• 3 months later...
Guest Yediyd

Well, I have read somewhere that it is possible that the earth will become so wicked that only LDS people would want to have children. I dont remember the source. That of course, is purely speculation. Now, I dont think that not having 8 children will be a deciding factor in our judgement. I understand the spirit of the law here. But I dont like hearing about Utah families that have 8 plus kids, namely because all moms that do that are baby making machines. While reproducing does bring happiness, I think women are more than just that. My opinion, of course. Anyone from Utah want to respond?

I'm not from Utah, I joined the church when I was 40, and my mother had 11 kids. Mormons don't hold the market on big families. Because I was in such a big family (and hated it) I got my tubes tied after I had two beautiful children. I did it deliberatly, so there would be no middle children in my family. I was a middle child and I still bare the scars of being neglected because my mother just didn't have enough energy or love to go around. I don't regret my deision and I am at piece with God over it. God knows what I could handle and my son is autistic (asperger's syndrome) and I am raising them alone....THANK GOD I stopped at two!!!!!