Quality Television This Week

MaidservantX

for your information, here are some quality television shows that are going to be on this week. i give the Eastern times, so you will need to check your local listings to make sure the times are right for your area.

"My life as a child" TLC, Monday, Feb 26 7pm [a documentary about 3 different children's lives through their eyes]

"Robin Hood" (a new version) BBC America, Saturday, Mar 3 9pm

"Explorer: Aryan Brotherhood" National Goegraphic Channel, Sundaay, Mar 4 8pm [this show does not advocate Aryan, but does dig deeper into its danger; might be worth knowing]

"The Dark Ages" History Channel, Sunday, Mar 4 9pm

"Edward Scissorhands" FMC, Sunday, Mar 4 6pm

"Wild Strawberries" (Ingmar Bergman)TCM, Thursday, Mar 1, 2:15pm

We don't have cable or satellite. We get about 7 channels locally and that is it. And we hardly watch TV at all.

However... we do rent videos. We have gone through a couple of the Star Trek's shows. We watched all of Voyager and all of Enterprise.

Now we are enmeshed in A&E's Ivanhoe series. We get them from the library so they are free.

We will watch the following shows this week starting with Sunday:

Sunday: The Amazing Race, also usually Extreme Home Makeover, Cold Case and Battlestar Galactics

Monday: 24, CSI Miami

Tuesday: NCIS, The Unit

Wednesday: Jericho, CSI New York

Thursday: Survivor, CSI Las Vegas, Criminal Minds

Friday: Las Vegas, Numbers

Saturday: Catch up on recorded shows

Oh and Monday-Friday at 6:30 pm Jeopardy.

Ben Raines

Just a few words for thought. Do any of you watch those shows when your children are awake? :blush:

I use to watch shows when they came on cause I wanted to watch them. Then i realized that if that show is something that we couldn't want our children to see them maybe tape it for later when kids are in bed. I personal took it a step futher. If i don't think that my child chouldn't be watching something, then that tells me I probable shouldn't be watching it either.

Just a thought! :conscience:

CHantee,

That is the whole reason we don't watch TV anymore. Our three kids (11,7,5) can not handle what they see on TV. Instead, we chose videos and watch them sparingly. They have more time to play, do their studies, spend time all together as a family and do something fun.

The internet is my only vice and I have even limited it to certain days. I do not get on the computer at all on the weekends any more.

How many hours would you say... most watch TV and use the internet? Scary thought isn't it?

Can someone answer me which season of 24 starts out with Bauer being released from a Chinese prison and having to deal with some Islamic terrorists? I have seen seasons 1 - 4 but couldn't see #5.

Strange thing was that last night a commercial came on for 24 and my wife wondered how much Kiefer Sutherland has made from this series. I mentioned that he seemed to come a long way from "The Lost Boys" where he played a vampire. Yet I guess he wanted a little nostalgia since in the episode I saw he had to escape from Muslim terrorists by biting the neck off one of the terrorists. Good thing the young children were not in the room for that scene. :wow:

Finnian, That was at the begining of Day 6, this season. Day 5 was about former Russians working within the government to cause terror in LA. This season is very closely tied to Day 5. Day 5 ended with Bauer on a freighter to China. He was left there for over a year and maybe two I don't recall.

When Bauer saw the Logan character in the last episode, he (Logan) mentioned how much he had changed in two years, IIRC.

M.

We will watch the following shows this week starting with Sunday:

Sunday: The Amazing Race, also usually Extreme Home Makeover, Cold Case and Battlestar Galactics

Monday: 24, CSI Miami

Tuesday: NCIS, The Unit

Wednesday: Jericho, CSI New York

Thursday: Survivor, CSI Las Vegas, Criminal Minds

Friday: Las Vegas, Numbers

Saturday: Catch up on recorded shows

Oh and Monday-Friday at 6:30 pm Jeopardy.

Ben, thats out of controll man. :rolleyes:

I'm going to have to side with Ben. IMO, that's a normal amount of TV, the shows I enjoy watching are (Canadian scheduling):

Sunday: Smallville, Stargate Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica, Desperate Housewives and somtimes Without a Trace

Monday: 24, Prison Break

Tuesday: Gillmore Girls, NCIS, The Unit

Wednesday: Lost, Bones, Medium

Thursday: The OC is now over, so the only one is: CSI Las Vegas or taped shows I recorded earlier in the week

Friday: Supernatural, sometimes Close to Home, Numbers

Saturday: Somtimes a scheduled TV movie or rented DVD

That's about it for me. :D

M.

• 2 weeks later...

The times are Eastern times. Various television shows that might be of interest.

The Road to Guantanamo, Monday, March 19, Sundance channel, 10:15 p.m.

Othello, Tuesday, March 20, IFC, 9 p.m.

The Last Days of Disco, Thursday, March 22, Showtme, 9:35 p.m.

Iraq in Fragments, Tuesday, March 20, Cinemax, 7 p.m.

Planet Earth, Sunday, March 25, Discovery channel, 8 p.m.

Through Deaf Eyes, Wednesday, March 21, PBS, 9 p.m.

Barenboim on Beethoven, Thursday, March 22, PBS, 9 p.m.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been watching the show Ninja Warrior on G4 with my kids. It's a show from Japan where the contestants have to navigate an insanely difficult obstacle course. Each stage is progressively more difficult. It can be funny, but I am struck at the sportsmanship they show, even when they fall.

http://www.g4tv.com/ninjawarrior/index.html

Here is a video of one of the top competitors. He is a fisherman, believe it or not. He is only the second person in 17 years to make it to the end. Note: it is subtitled in English on television. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkBkZpK-fYQ

SPACE is a Canadian TV station, which airs mainly SciFi and Fantasy shows. Every year they set up voting polls so that viewers can vote for their favorite TV show, movie, etc - it's called the Spacey awards. Even though many of you don't have access to SPACE ;) many of the shows are very familiar. So if you're interested go to this website and vote, it's fun! :superman:

http://www.spaceys.ca/

M.