Green Tea

pixiemom

Disclaimer :Personal opinion

This thread is the reason I believe the WoW was

2 To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom, showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days—

IMO The WoW is and was simply meant to be good overall temporal health advice because we know as Jesus taught

15 There is nothing from without a man, that entering into him can defile him: but the things which come out of him, those are they that defile the man.

16 If any man have ears to hear, let him hear.

17 And when he was entered into the house from the people, his disciples asked him concerning the parable.

18 And he saith unto them, Are ye so without understanding also? Do ye not perceive, that whatsoever thing from without entereth into the man, it cannot defile him;

19 Because it entereth not into his heart, but into the belly, and goeth out into the draught, purging all meats?

20 And he said, That which cometh out of the man, that defileth the man.

Unfortunately we have forgotten Paul advice.

16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

and want to make sure everyone is following our interpretation of the WoW.

Now the church has made it a covenant necessary for baptism. Like all covenants it is an agreement between YOU and the LORD.

People can "argue" the letter of the law back and forth all they want but ultamently you will be judged on YOUR understanding of YOUR covenant and not someone else's interpretation.

P.S. Jesus seems to be more of a spirit of the law person IMO.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Nzorient, a witness like that is always powerful. If I didn't have any experience in that category, that testimony would probably be all I'd need to make up my mind... I served my mission in Argentina. The members there drank an herbal drink called Mate. It was the blood of the Argentinians. In bishopric meeting, the purpose of the secretary was to prepare the Mate for everyone else to drink.... As missionaries, we were not allowed to drink Mate from the straw (as it is traditionally drunk), but we could drink it if it was prepared in a liquid form in a mug.

When I got home from my mission, I spoke with people who served in Brazil. They told me that Mate was against the word of wisdom in Brazil and that people would have to stop drinking it in order to get baptized.

Does anyone have any information on this? Are there different forms of Mate? How could this be? Are there different forms of Green Tea, some that are good and some that aren't? I don't drink typical Green Tea because it's full of caffeine. I do drink an herbal tea that is derived from Green Tea that is also Caffeine Free. So I know there is a difference here. But I really want to become more educated on this topic!!!

Green tea is from a tea leaf, right? I consider it tea. How much or little caffeine is irrelevant.

As far as the health benefits go, you hear all the time about the health benifets of wine and other alcohols. We still know we aren't supposed to drink them.

I don't drink green tea, solely because of the word of wisdom.

MY bishop recently addressed this in a meeting with the teens in our ward. He didn't specifically say that green tea is against the WoW, but he did state that we were to each study it out in our own minds and decide for ourselves as to whether we thought it would go against the WoW. If we are comfortable with that decision, then we probably aren't breaking the law, but if we are uncomfortable with it, or have questions, then perhaps we shouldn't be doing it. He also said that the decision he came to for himself is that he shouldn't drink it. Personally, I can understand why someone would want to drink it for the health or weight-loss benefits, but for myself, I view it as an item of later resort. I will try other things first.

I honestly don't understand 6 pages of conversation about whether or not green tea is against the WoW. Just looking at wikipedia, it says:

Black tea is a variety of tea that is more oxidized than the oolong, green, and white varieties.

All four varieties are made from leaves of Camellia sinensis. Black tea is generally stronger in flavor and contains more caffeine than the less oxidized teas. Two principal varieties of the species are used, the small-leaved Chinese variety plant (C. sinensis sinensis), also used for green and white teas, and the large-leaved Assamese plant (C. sinensis assamica), which was traditionally only used for black tea, although in recent years some green has been produced.

This tells me that these teas are all from the same plant. If I am unable to drink black tea, then it is logical that green, white, and oolong are restricted as well.

Here's my thought on this issue: I refuse to drink anything that has the word "tea" in the ingredients--not the title. I love Tension Tamer Tea from Celestial Seasonings. When you read the ingredients, you will not find anything with the word "tea" in it.

If you have concerns, ask your bishop. And I tend to think that in such a black and white issue as whether to drink or not to drink, to trust the bishop in his counsel. He is your judge at this time.

Oh, and I'm reminded of the smoking is good for you campaign during one of the World Wars--didn't the US government encourage the troops to smoke cigs because of "health" benefits? I'm sorry, I choose to follow a Physician's assistant (when that Physician is Jesus and His assistant is His prophet) rather than any doctor here on earth in this situation.

First of all, there is no tea plant! There is only the plan Camellia Sinensis. So saying that Green Tea is taken from a tea plant is not technically true!. Green Tea and Black tea are taken from the same plant just as grape juice and wine are taken from the same plant. Grape juice is good for you, but fermented grape juice (aka Wine) is not and is against the word of wisdom. Black tea is the fermented form of Green Tea. Green tea can be good for you, it depends on the company you buy it from. Whether or not it's against the word of wisdom. That is for you to decide. But saying that it's against the word of wisdom because it comes from a leaf, or a tea plant, etc has no basis what so ever! The church has not defined tea's that come from leaves as being against the WoW, nor have they stated that all tea's are against the WoW. The Doctrine and Covenants states that hot drinks are against the word of wisdom. The current church leadership has defined hot drinks to coffee and black tea! Throughout the world, when you use the word tea, people are usually talking about black tea. If they are talking about Green Tea, then they'll call it green tea! Usually! That's been my experience.

I'm trying to understand your reasoning. You say that when the Church said hot drinks means coffee and tea--they were not speaking of any other type of tea besides black tea. That since green tea is unfermented it is acceptable regardless that it came from the same plant. Am I understanding your thoughts correctly?

If so, then the other question I have regards the following from Section 89:

6 And, behold, this should be wine, yea, pure wine of the grape of the vine, of your own make.

7 And, again, strong drinks are not for the belly, but for the washing of your bodies.

8 And again, tobacco is not for the body, neither for the belly, and is not good for man, but is an herb for bruises and all sick cattle, to be used with judgment and skill.

Does this mean if we make our own wine, then it is not against the WoW? Does this mean that we can smoke other things as long as it isn't tobacco?

Truly, I don't care what you decide to do--that's between you, your bishop/stake president and the Lord. I just don't understand your reasoning. My reasoning is that I don't know everything and there are many good things that the Church clearly hasn't taken a position on. If something is suspect to me, then I just avoid it. Because the church has said "no tea" I take that to mean anything with the word tea in the ingredients (not title as herbal tea isn't tea, but an infusion). Green tea is the big health fad right now. Who knows if it will last and if studies will show problems down the line.

Guest SisterofJared

Personally I don't drink green tea. I do however take a nutritional supplement that has green tea extract in it, and I feel no guilt in that. Herbs are made for man's use.

What I like about the post by ACarlton is the suggestion that we be thinking individuals and praying individuals instead of automations. The analogy of grape juice/wine comparing to green tea/black tea is a good one, and I agree that this is a subject for personal study and prayer, and not just blindly obeying without the thought and testimony. One should not assume that the statements given by the church about 'tea' is a blanket condemnation of all herbs... and the so called 'tea' plant is an herb, and as such should be used with prudence and thanksgiving. What is prudent for one might not be prudent for another, because let's face it, herbs are medicine, and we don't all need the same medicine.

ACarlton, I'm surprised by the distinctions made about Yerba Mate in south america. Yerba Mate is in herb that is well documented for it's health properties, very beneficial in diabetes. I have never used it yet, but recently purchased some at the advice of an herbalist who told me how well it does in regulating blood sugars.

Sister of Jared

Grape juice is good for you, but fermented grape juice (aka Wine) is not and is against the word of wisdom.

Red wine is not allowed per the WofW, but it is good for you in moderation.
Health Benefits of Red Wines: One to Two Glasses a Day - Plato may have been wiser than he knew when he said, Nothing more excellent or valuable than wine was ever granted by the Gods to man. Those of us who have come to enjoy the variety and tastes that wine have to offer can now look to red wines for greater health benefits. Recent studies show that drinking one glass of red wine every day may have certain health benefits. Research indicates that moderate red wine consumption may help protect against certain cancers and heart disease, and can have a positive effect on cholesterol levels and blood pressure.