Green Tea

pixiemom

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Green tea is out. Same as drinking Lipton. I lived in Japan after my mission as well, and if you drank green tea you didn't get a TR. Oolong tea is the same, in my opinion.

My wife and I made the decision early on that if the tea came from a tea leaf of any kind we wouldn't drink it. In Japan they drank barley tea and other types as well, and those are okay.

You should be careful with your language. You cannot show one official pronouncement that supports your statement that "Green tea is out." There are statements supporting both sides of the issue and there are many members who drink green tea who have TR's.

For folks out west, you could always brew up some sagebrush. I think the pioneers referred to this as Brigham tea.

As far as green tea goes, try googling it. Glancing at the first page, you would think for certain that this was a health food being talked about. The strange thing is, this is one health food most Mormons will not try - even if you add wheat germ and possibly an Amway cleaning product as well for them. Go figure.

I have been reading a lot about the good facts of green tea. What I am wondering is, is green tea against the word of wisdom? We use some herbal teas when we're sick but I don't know if green goes in the ok column or the bad column.

Black - green - white... it's all the same leaf from the same tea tree, just processed differently.

<div class='quotemain'>

Green tea is out. Same as drinking Lipton. I lived in Japan after my mission as well, and if you drank green tea you didn't get a TR. Oolong tea is the same, in my opinion.

My wife and I made the decision early on that if the tea came from a tea leaf of any kind we wouldn't drink it. In Japan they drank barley tea and other types as well, and those are okay.

You should be careful with your language. You cannot show one official pronouncement that supports your statement that "Green tea is out." There are statements supporting both sides of the issue and there are many members who drink green tea who have TR's.

Then go ahead a drink it. But it is out. You can bicker all you want, tell me how healthful it is, but it is verboten.

In the States we equate only 'Lipton' as tea. In the orient there are tons of different teas, and green was one that you are not supposed to drink. But if it floats yer boat, go ahead.

While you're at it, try a little wine for the belly. It too is supposed to be healthful for you.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Then go ahead a drink it. But it is out. You can bicker all you want, tell me how healthful it is, but it is verboten.

In the States we equate only 'Lipton' as tea. In the orient there are tons of different teas, and green was one that you are not supposed to drink. But if it floats yer boat, go ahead.

While you're at it, try a little wine for the belly. It too is supposed to be healthful for you.

Who is bickering? Your sarcasm at the end of your last post does nothing for your credibility.

<div class='quotemain'>

I have been reading a lot about the good facts of green tea. What I am wondering is, is green tea against the word of wisdom? We use some herbal teas when we're sick but I don't know if green goes in the ok column or the bad column.

Black - green - white... it's all the same leaf from the same tea tree, just processed differently.

If this is true, are you planning to give up grape juice?

Wanna bet?

The Church officially stipulates that the "hot drinks" in the WoW applies to coffee and tea. (LDS Church (2006). Church Handbook of Instructions, Book 1: Stake Presidencies and Bishoprics (Salt Lake City: LDS Church) p. 185.)

So what if people get temple recommends and still drink tea. The recommend question asks whether you obey the WoW, not whether you drink tea, or coffee or Smirnoff Vodka. One can drop heroin and still get a recommend if they answer that they obey the WoW.

That's a goofy point. The WoW prohibits alcohol, not fruit juice. It doesn't matter if the alcohol is fermented from grapes or grain or potatos.

I find all these comments really interesting. Ive been wondering about this for some time as I really love herbal teas and drink them a lot. My Nan had some instant flavoured tea that I tried. It was divine, Wittards tea I dont know if its english or what. I thought it was just herbs, then we found out it was made with black tea extract. I wasnt sure whether that was real tea or not, so I continue to drink it when I go over there. My friend bought a green tea in our break today and I said is that like proper tea. She shrugged. I said is it nice and she said do u want to try a bit so I did. Green tea with lemon it was. Very nice. I think its ok and dont feel im breaking the word of wisdom. I asked my husband what he thought about green tea and he said he felt it was 'proper' tea. So I didnt mention Id had a sip. I wouldnt have a problem drinking it in the future although oppurtunities for this are probably rare.

I find all these comments really interesting. Ive been wondering about this for some time as I really love herbal teas and drink them a lot.

Hebal teas are not really tea. They are simply drinks made from varios herbs, fruits and plants. Tea (black, green, white) is a beverage made by steeping the leaves or buds or stems from the tea tree/bush Camellia sinensis and the Church interprets that (true tea) to be against the Word of Wisdom.

On a similar note, While on my mission our Mission president was a Bible/Book of Mormon Thumping Southern Mormon who while a Stake president would not allow Members to have a TR if they drank Coke. He would actually take their TR away if it was found that they did drink Coke. This carried on until members in his domain started to complain. The complaints trickled down to SLC. My Mission president was then visited by President Oaks. They went for a drive, the Mission President was driving. When they came up to a convienence store President Oaks told him to stop, he then got out and after a few minutes returned to the car with a Coke in his hand. He then popped the top took a sip and eyeballed the Mission president and asked him if he was going to take he TR away? This story came from my mission presidents mouth. He actually bragged about the encounter.

• 2 weeks later...

<div class='quotemain'>

I find all these comments really interesting. Ive been wondering about this for some time as I really love herbal teas and drink them a lot.

Hebal teas are not really tea. They are simply drinks made from varios herbs, fruits and plants. Tea (black, green, white) is a beverage made by steeping the leaves or buds or stems from the tea tree/bush Camellia sinensis and the Church interprets that (true tea) to be against the Word of Wisdom.

You are such a Pharisee. The Church does not offer any such interpretation. This is your own interpretation and you should be careful to distinguish your own interpretations from the official guidance offered by the leaders of our church.

<div class='quotemain'>

Wanna bet?

The Church officially stipulates that the "hot drinks" in the WoW applies to coffee and tea. (LDS Church (2006). Church Handbook of Instructions, Book 1: Stake Presidencies and Bishoprics (Salt Lake City: LDS Church) p. 185.)

So what if people get temple recommends and still drink tea. The recommend question asks whether you obey the WoW, not whether you drink tea, or coffee or Smirnoff Vodka. One can drop heroin and still get a recommend if they answer that they obey the WoW.

That's a goofy point. The WoW prohibits alcohol, not fruit juice. It doesn't matter if the alcohol is fermented from grapes or grain or potatos.

I am very well aware of what is said in the Handbook of Instructions. I read it all the time. It clearly prohibits tea. What it does not say is whether this includes all forms of tea or black tea. You can look through the Handbook and through all the other church sources and you will find nothing to support your view that tea is black tea, green tea and white tea. If you think tea includes all of these variants, you should refrain from using them. But if other Latter-day Saints disagree with you, you should leave them be and not try to mislead them by misquoting official sources.

Hey April,

Yeah, there are some interesting and positive benefits with green tea.

The question has come up in this thread 'Is it the same as black tea."

This link explains how they are from the same leaf but differ slightly in terms of stage of development:

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/content/...sp?sitearea=ETO

This link explains that they both have equal percentages re: caffeine (if that is a concern for you, it is for some folk):

http://www.japanesegreenteaonline.com/faq3.htm

Is it against the word of wisdom?

Certainly a topic for conjecture.

I know members who drink it and I know members who won't.

I also know that Word of Wisdom references to tea on the lds.org site, in lesson manuals and even in the handbook of instructions simply say "tea."

There is no difinitive directive or discrimination with regard to colour (green, white) etc.

Onyx :)

The only new thing about "green tea" is the availability of it being in a convenient bottle. What is new is that the companies mfg it have developed a sweetner that people like. They have also developed flavors like lemon and lime or peach that enhance the sweetners.

Basically people are drinking green tea because it taste good...........and green tea does not taste good.

Just for humor here is a list of fictional plants:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_plants

I am very well aware of what is said in the Handbook of Instructions. I read it all the time. It clearly prohibits tea. What it does not say is whether this includes all forms of tea or black tea.

Huh? What kind of foolish reasoning is that? It's like saying the WoW clearly prohibits the use of tobacco...but what it does not say whether it includes all forms of tobacco like chewing tobacco, cigar tobacco, pipe tobacco etc..

The WoW says tea is not allowed....ALL hot beverages made with tea...black, green, white etc.. You cannot justify breaking the WoW by drinking green tea just because the commandment didn't specifically say green tea.

I'm sorry but your logic is seriously flawed dude.

...Basically people are drinking green tea because it taste good...........and green tea does not taste good.

Taste is subjective. What will be delicious to someone will be disgusting to someone else. For me, green tea is lovely, especially with Dim Sum. :)

M.

You are such a Pharisee. The Church does not offer any such interpretation. This is your own interpretation and you should be careful to distinguish your own interpretations from the official guidance offered by the leaders of our church.

I am very well aware of what is said in the Handbook of Instructions. I read it all the time. It clearly prohibits tea. What it does not say is whether this includes all forms of tea or black tea. You can look through the Handbook and through all the other church sources and you will find nothing to support your view that tea is black tea, green tea and white tea. If you think tea includes all of these variants, you should refrain from using them. But if other Latter-day Saints disagree with you, you should leave them be and not try to mislead them by misquoting official sources.

Clearly you are clueless; nice try with the name calling, but clueless still.

Tea is tea. Black, green, white, whatever. It's tea and prohibited by the Church."Herbal tea" is not tea as it is not made from the tea bush.

It matters not whether you disagree or not. You're simply wrong and irrational. Period. Your argument sounds like something a kid would make up... er, uh, it's not tea cuz I put the word "green" in front of it; you know cuz "green" comes from the latin word "greenas" which means, um, ah... "not." So like "green tea" is "not tea" in latin and since The Book of Mormon was translated from like Reformed Latin I think, Mormons can drink green tea.

• 1 year later...

It is up to each person to decide for themselves if Green Tea is right for them... I have done research, I've prayed about it and I drink green tea (caffeine free) on a regular basis... See Ai3 Global Home Page, Work at Home, Nutritional Supplement, Weight Loss . It is an herbal tea product that is derived from green tea. It was developed by an active member of the church who is also a really good friend of mine. He ran into this very issue when his stake president took his recommend away because of the company. It went all the way up to the top where President Monson had to make the decision. He was 1st counselor at the time. They said that if the owner of the company felt good about doing it, then it was his decision to make and that his recommend should not be taken away. They said there is no definitive answer with regards to green tea and that each member has to prayerfully make that decision for themselves. I heard that from my friend, and then I spoke to his bishop directly and he confirmed the whole thing for me.

People should watch out what they claim or don't claim unless they have the source, the true source. I believe that the WoW is about health and taking care of our bodies. There are many people who claim to obey the WoW because they don't drink coffee, tea or tobacco or alcohol or do illegal drugs. Yet, they don't eat healthy or exercise or take care of their bodies. We need to remember why Heavenly Father gave us the WoW and strive to live it!

Hey Snow, are you not able to think that maybe... just maybe he could be right, and that it's not your place to make that judgment for him? The problem that many non members have with us is that we're intolerant of those who think differently... We think that because we have the truth, that means everyone else who thinks differently than us is wrong. The flaw in that method of thinking is that we don't have the full truth... because not all truth has been restored! And even if the church did, we as growing individuals do not have all truth, otherwise we'd be exalted right now....

The fact of the matter is that the church has not come out definitively on Green Tea.. What we do know for certain is that the church does ban Alcohol, Tobacco, Black Tea, coffee and illegal drugs. Back in Joseph Smith's day, Green Tea did not exist in the United States. Because of the shipping standards, time it took to get here, it was impossible to get Green Tea. Same goes for Europe. So tea was Black Tea! There's a whole history behind it.

Let's look to the Lord with a little humility instead of shoving our version of the Gospel down the throats of others with unrighteous dominion!

Hi ACarlton,

You said,

The problem that many non members have with us is that we're intolerant of those who think differently... We think that because we have the truth, that means everyone else who thinks differently than us is wrong.

That's the thing about "truth" sir; truth is by it nature exclusive. Yes, I've read some situational ethics and concepts of social relativism but I think that's mostly a form of thought that we, in the United States, have been subjected to in our education. I do not think all truth is subjective at all. Obviously I still have some reading and thinking to do though. :)

I agree that truth is never relative. However, our understanding of that truth is usually never perfect until we are all knowing. My opinion is that there are very few things that we know for a certain. For example, I know that God lives, that he loves me and is interested in my well being. I know that that the church is true. However, how it is true, it's exact nature and role is something that I do not understand perfectly. I search for enlightenment through the spirit. I read the scriptures, listen to the prophets, etc. But I never take my interpretations too seriously. I live according to my understanding and try not to push that on other people.

It is up to each person to decide for themselves if Green Tea is right for them... I have done research, I've prayed about it and I drink green tea (caffeine free) on a regular basis... See Ai3 Global Home Page, Work at Home, Nutritional Supplement, Weight Loss . It is an herbal tea product that is derived from green tea. It was developed by an active member of the church who is also a really good friend of mine. He ran into this very issue when his stake president took his recommend away because of the company. It went all the way up to the top where President Monson had to make the decision. He was 1st counselor at the time. They said that if the owner of the company felt good about doing it, then it was his decision to make and that his recommend should not be taken away. They said there is no definitive answer with regards to green tea and that each member has to prayerfully make that decision for themselves. I heard that from my friend, and then I spoke to his bishop directly and he confirmed the whole thing for me.

I appreciate this comment, however, unless it can be verified, it really shouldn't be mentioned per rule 8 of the terms and conditions. Can you have your friend register and verify this?

8. Please do not share any "true" or "faith promoting" stories, unless you can verify the source.

Hi all,

Having served a mission in China, Hong Kong - Leaders there advise the Saints to not drink the chinese tea, for one reason is because of the tannic acid which breaks down marrow in the bones.

I used to drink chinese tea (before my conversion) because my parents drank it but didn't feel any benefits. I stopped drinking it to obey the Word of Wisdom and found my body and spirit was much better without it. My wife who also used to drink chinese tea stopped after she joined the church and agrees that it was doing some harm to the body.

I see my relatives drink chinese tea all the time, they're addicted to it and I don't see them any healthier. In fact they seem more prone to sickness.

I believe there are more benefits from naturally squeezed juices, smoothies or just plain water.

Thanks... Just my 2 cent comment

Hi all,

Having served a mission in China, Hong Kong - Leaders there advise the Saints to not drink the chinese tea, for one reason is because of the tannic acid which breaks down marrow in the bones.

He didn't eat strawberries , blueberry, smoked meat or drink apple juice did he?