Questions about endowments :)

missmollymormon

Hi Guys!!!

I am a relatively new member (1 and a half glorious years!) I am in the process of organizing my endowments with my Bishop :) I am so excited to recieve this blessing!

I was hoping you guys could help me with a few things.

Firstly, I have a temple gown already- but can anyone please tell me how much I should set aside for the other ceremonial clothing? And can anyone please give me a rough idea as to how much the Temple Garments cost per piece? I feel bad asking my Bsihop these questions (though I know he wouldnt mind). It feels almost rude of me to inquire on the monetary cost associated with this huge eternal blessing if you know what I mean...

Also, apart from the obvious in preparation (temple prep classes, worthiness, prayer, scripture study, etc) is there anything else that you could recommend to me to help me with the preparation? If you could have your first temple experience again, is there anything that you would have focused more on to prepare yourself?

I will be the first on my family to go through this experience as my Mum was only baptized a month ago and my Dad is looking to get baptized next month. (I am slowly herding the family in)

Thankyou in advance :)

If you have an LDS Account, you can log into store.lds.org and view the prices of Garments and Ceremonial clothing

Women's tops run $2.50 - $4.00 depending on cut and fabric. (the thermals are a little more than $5.00)

Women's bottoms run about $2.50 - $4.00 as well.

The ceremonial clothing could cost as much as $75.00, according to listed prices.

Keep in mind, however, that for your first purchase, I believe they offer you 50% off. Ceremonial clothing will probably last you the better part of your life. So while it seems a bit pricey, if cared for, you may never make the purchase again.

Also, apart from the obvious in preparation (temple prep classes, worthiness, prayer, scripture study, etc) is there anything else that you could recommend to me to help me with the preparation? If you could have your first temple experience again, is there anything that you would have focused more on to prepare yourself?

I will be the first on my family to go through this experience as my Mum was only baptized a month ago and my Dad is looking to get baptized next month. (I am slowly herding the family in)

Thankyou in advance :)

That is SO exciting!

My first experience, I was a bit alarmed that they were insisting that I commit to covenants that I didn't even know what they were about. And I haven't gone through the temple prep classes lately, but 10 years ago when my sons went through them, I noticed they didn't discuss them.

I personally took a 'leap of faith' and went ahead with the endowment (they give you the option to leave), and I'm glad I did. Just to ease your mind, here are the 5 covenants we make in the endowment:

1) obey God

2) accept the Law of Sacrifice (as it has been explained to you)

3) Law of the Gospel (ditto)

4) Law of Chastity (they explain it)

5) Law of Consecration (they explain it)

So you might want to ponder those. Hope this helps.

HJ

If you could have your first temple experience again, is there anything that you would have focused more on to prepare yourself?

Oh yes, it will be overwhelming proably the first time. Even the next 10 times lol. But just know there is someone there to help you the entire way!

Things you could do but not needed... But recommended after you have been through a few times.

a) Read the creation story in Genesis/Moses

b) Read temple books (they will make more sense though once you have been through). I can point you to some but feel like the ones I have you should read after you have had your endowments because they won't make sense until than.

Best thing to read would be Conference talks. Search lds.org.

Remember 1 thing

The temple is symbolic, everything is symbolic. You will only see the literal meanings the first time but they all represent something and will spend years understanding them.

The purpose of the temple is to show you how to enter back into the presence of the father. It is quite literally a step by step process and some of what is in the temple is symbolic, however most is not. At some point you will be instructed to consider yourself as Eve. At the very beginning put yourself in the position of being a part of everything happening up to Eve. Do it. It's weird at first but do it. Place yourself in her shoes and do everything as though you are there at that stage. Everything that happens in the temple is in order. Step 1, step 2, step 3, etc. So if the endgame in the temple is to pass through the veil and there are things that need to be done BEFORE that happens, then I would assume that these things actually need to be done before we can enter into the presence of the Father. It is overwhelming the first time, but the reason we go back over and over again is not because the dead need it, though that's a great secondary reason, it's so that we while in this life can figure this process out and DO IT. Otherwise, we could just wait for death and get it all done there.

So enjoy, put yourself in those shoes(just swap places even), and listen. Great things are there, but even greater come later.

Edited by scatyb

It is quite literally a step by step process and some of what is in the temple is symbolic, however most is not.

My response is off topic.

I am not sure what you are referring to so I will post on this my thoughts :D.

Brigham Young said:

"Your endowment is, to receive all those ordinances in the House of the Lord, which are necessary for you, after you have departed this life, to enable you to walk back to the presence of the Father, passing the angels who stand as sentinels, being enabled to give them the key words, the signs and tokens, pertaining to the Holy Priesthood, and gain your eternal exaltation in spite of earth and hell." (Journal of Discourses 2:31).

The temple is symbolic of our bodies. Our body is a Temple of God.

What happens in the temple is symbolic of what must happen inside of us. Every literal part has a symbolic part. While the literal does represent something, its the symbolic portion that allows us to walk back into the presence of God. If we never receive the symbolic blessings of the temple, our ordinance is in vain and will do us no Good. Just like baptism does us nothing without the other half, baptism by fire (paraphrasing Joseph Smith, calls it the "complete baptism"). So it is with the endowment, we need BOTH, physical and spiritual part. The spiritual is the element of becoming something anew (reborn).

One does not have to know what they are symbolic of to receive the spiritual side though. They are taught already in the church every Sunday. Baptism, Receive holy ghost, Baptism by fire, change of heart, continue proving your self in all things until you receive your calling and election, receive Christ, The rest of it will follow. The temple is symbolic of this becoming.

Edited by ElectofGod

**This post is from my husband who hijacked my account**

Before I went through the temple, my stake president told me in an interview to remember as you go through that you should consider yourself to be Adam and Eve. I've found that helpful. Also, as you've heard and experienced before, the teaching in the temple is largely symbolic. A good preparation for this kind of teaching is the other ordinances, like the sacrament: it represents the body and blood of Jesus but it is not literally the body and blood of Jesus. It should point you to the real thing, but is not actually the real thing. In one way, I see the temple being like a compass. It is real and exciting to receive your own personal Liahona, but just because you have a Liahona, it doesn't mean that you are at the promised land. It is intended to help you get there, if you learn how to use and follow it. The symbols are real and point you to "real thing" but it is not actually the "real thing" (i.e. an obvious example is that when you enter the Celestial room, you have not really entered the Celestial Kingdom, but only a symbol of it). Don't assume that because you possess the compass, that it is equivalent to receiving the destination. Even if you see other people content to have their "compass" and don't do much with it, don't let that discourage you from using your own compass to try to actually experience the real thing. If you are true and faithful, the day will come when you will receive the real thing that is symbolized there. It is an earthly form of a heavenly gift.

Edited by viannqueen3

**This post is from my husband who hijacked my account**

If you are true and faithful, the day will come when you will receive the real thing that is symbolized there. It is an earthly form of a heavenly gift.

This person who hijacked the thread, said it beautifully. Blessings all to receive before they depart this life.

:cool:

I would like to Thank you guys so much for all your help and advice! It has been more useful than you could ever realize!

I like the advice from one particular poster who said that I should view myself as Adam and Eve, I have been reading Moses and genesis and this advice has opened my eyes to a new way of thinking- about myself and the human race in general.

I will be starting temple prep classes (hopefully next week) so I will keep you all updated :)

I don't recall this being mentioned by anyone yet, but it was brought up to the wife and I before we entered the Temple for the first time (the wife and I joined the Church in our early 40s... which was 8 years ago this month, so our first time in the Temple was a short 7 years ago)...

Have you received your Patriarchal Blessing yet?

I received my patriarchal blessing about 8 months ago now. What an amazing experience that was! There are things in there that only myself and the Lord would know about me, personality wise. It did say that in time I would be sealed to an eternal companion, but I am nearing 30 now with no potential candidates for marriage, so I thought it best to go through the endowments now rather than wait so I could fully focus my attention on the ordinance itself rather than attatch it to a wedding.

I suggest you call the temple to place your name on the prayer roll.

You want to pray for guidance, understanding, protection and anything else that may be needed within your family to raise your level of spirituality.

Perhaps you can get your hands on a copy of "The House of the Lord" by James E Talmage to read chapter IV. If not read:

John 14: 1-3

1 Corinthians 15: 40-42

D & C 76:51 - 119

OH GOOD!!! It's online and you can download it free as an ebook

The House of the Lord: A Study of Holy Sanctuaries, Ancient and Modern - James Edward Talmage - Google Books

Before you go into the endowment, you will first go into initiatory. Let the Sisters know you are going through for yourself and ask them to talk slowly. Listen carefully to the blessings.

There will be a lot you will experience. Either your first time or later, you will notice some symbolism through the lights during the endowment (refer back to the scriptures above). There is another level to this, but let's wait until after you have received your endowments.

Is it possible for you to spend a night in the area, then return to the temple the next day? Do you have any ancestors for whom ordinances need to be performed? Perhaps you can take an ancestress through the entire process.