Busy activities for tikes?

Bini

I got a toddler backpack for my daughter to throw in a pack of crayons and a colouring book while on the plane but I'm seeing that this isn't going to work (a) she quickly gets bored with it and (b) when that happens she ends up drawing on everything around her except for the dang colouring book! She isn't quite 2-years old yet and has a really short attention span. We can read to her but that's also short lived, as she'd rather tear at the book's pages instead of sitting still to enjoy story time. Our longest flight is about 14 hours.. I tried loading up my iPad with a bunch of toddler apps, which does keep her entertained for awhile but she has a bad habit of turning up the volume super loud.. Crazily enough, she can't draw a circle but she's mastered how to navigate the iPad effortlessly. I turn down the volume, I've even muted it, and she gets the volume going again. DH had mentioned trying to get her to wear earphones but I'm worried that she might hurt her eardrums by turning that volume up so loud.. So for any of you that have traveled with little tikes, what are some BUSY activities that kept your child entertained and quiet (where they didn't disturb other people)? I'm starting to get anxiety over this because I know how impatient other travelers can be when it comes to loud kiddos..

I got a toddler backpack for my daughter to throw in a pack of crayons and a colouring book while on the plane but I'm seeing that this isn't going to work (a) she quickly gets bored with it and (b) when that happens she ends up drawing on everything around her except for the dang colouring book! She isn't quite 2-years old yet and has a really short attention span. We can read to her but that's also short lived, as she'd rather tear at the book's pages instead of sitting still to enjoy story time. Our longest flight is about 14 hours.. I tried loading up my iPad with a bunch of toddler apps, which does keep her entertained for awhile but she has a bad habit of turning up the volume super loud.. Crazily enough, she can't draw a circle but she's mastered how to navigate the iPad effortlessly. I turn down the volume, I've even muted it, and she gets the volume going again. DH had mentioned trying to get her to wear earphones but I'm worried that she might hurt her eardrums by turning that volume up so loud.. So for any of you that have traveled with little tikes, what are some BUSY activities that kept your child entertained and quiet (where they didn't disturb other people)? I'm starting to get anxiety over this because I know how impatient other travelers can be when it comes to loud kiddos..

I havent travelled that far, but one suggestion with the volume and headphones, is to get the headphones with the external volume controll. Just dont let her see how it is done :)

I agree with the headphones, as long as she will keep them on. My 1 year old has been navigating my ipad since I got it on his b-day. LOL! So that is a good idea.

Also, without using medicine, make sure she is sleepy. Have her miss a nap? Whatever you need to do to make sure she is sleepy on the plane. That does mean a pain in the neck for a while as she will be louder and crankier for a bit until she crashes....so you need to weigh it out as far as that goes.

Make sure she has plenty of chewy snacks that take her a while to chew. Died fruit will keep the jaw going for a while. Load lots of her favorite tune on the ipad as well. (if she will wear the headphones.)

Get her a couple small toys that she has never seen before, they will occupy her longer than old ones. Hmmm... make sure the ipad apps are new as well, so she needs to learn them, taking up more time before she is bored. Bottom line, she just might have to walk up and down the isle a few times, and people will just have to be understanding. Good luck!!

Your child is super cute... You'll have stewardess competing over each other on who gets to entertain your child... At least this is what happened to us on the Cathay Pacific flight from LA to Hong Kong.

If you can get the seat out to the very very front, then you'll have room to put down a blanket on the floor and have some cover to make some kind of a tent that she can do her pretend play in.

And bring swimmers earplugs just in case your kid gets pressure sensitive.

And get one of those puzzle books. It's a hard book that has about 6-10 puzzles in them. My boys had 2 of them - a dinosaur theme and a reptile theme (their favorite themes in those days) and once they finished an entire book, they would go back and redo them, those 2 books kept my 2 boys occupied in the car from Florida to Niagara Falls.

If you can pick a late afternoon flight even better...