Tacky or not?

pam

I think it's tacky. If you can't afford it, don't go. Or ask close friends and family.

But wedding gifts, in my opinion, are meant to help start the new couple in a new life together. Not fund their travels.

I, like beefche, didn't bother with a wedding registry. We had both been living independently for awhile and Husband still had items from his first marriage. We got about 8 Crockpots.

Edited by Backroads

Asking for honeymoon money is super tacky! I know many people that are just happy to have friend come to the reception to share the big day, then don't even have a honeymoon. They are just happy to be married and be together. I think is sad that the people these days feel so entitled that they have to guilt trip and beg money so they can go so far away. It is very nice that they want to go on the trip and how nice would it be to save for a few year and really enjoy the satisfaction of knowing the saved and sacrificed a little for it? I am not shocked or auprised they had the guts to ask because that shows how tacky and entitled "kids" are these days. But I am a little, just a little, upset that I keep seeing this more and more. Tacky, tacky, tacky.....

It's always tacky to ask for gifts (including money) in an invitation. The expectation is that your presence is enough, a gift (money or other) is simply icing on the cake. That being said, it is the job of family/friends to tell people, who ask, what the happy couple really needs. Otherwise it's merely a solicitation. I know, I know, it's becoming common. But lots of things are common that really are not good manners :)