Missionary Dress Code Changes

skippy740

I have to complement the LDS church for trying to modernize itself, I don't see that in a lot of other faiths, and that's a shame as a lot of them risk alienating an upcoming generation

the world is smaller and information is at the touch of one's fingertips. And if you don't take advantage of that, you risk becoming outdated

The thing is, LDS missionaries--at least the males--are instantly recognizable (I've seen non-Mormons dress up like Mormon missionaries at Halloween parties; and we all know how the Book of Mormon Musical capitalized on the image). Any effort to update/"modernize" the dress standards, IMHO, needs to also maintain that visual impression that the Church has been cultivating for the last 40 years or so.

The thing is, LDS missionaries--at least the males--are instantly recognizable (I've seen non-Mormons dress up like Mormon missionaries at Halloween parties; and we all know how the Book of Mormon Musical capitalized on the image). Any effort to update/"modernize" the dress standards, IMHO, needs to also maintain that visual impression that the Church has been cultivating for the last 40 years or so.

yeah if they went in more normal clothes, methinks people would simply mistake them for Jehovah's Witnesses (to my knowledge, they don't have a dress code)

yeah if they went in more normal clothes, methinks people would simply mistake them for Jehovah's Witnesses (to my knowledge, they don't have a dress code)

Every pair of Jehovah's Witnesses I've had tract into me have been wearing Sunday dress. Though you're right, it's not as uniform as the LDS missionaries, well at least the Elders, the Sisters aren't as uniform as the Elders.

Every pair of Jehovah's Witnesses I've had tract into me have been wearing Sunday dress. Though you're right, it's not as uniform as the LDS missionaries, well at least the Elders, the Sisters aren't as uniform as the Elders.

the uninformed would not know the difference, heck when I was younger I didn't know LDS and Mormons were the same people, though with my knowledge, I now know only 1 pair of LDS Missionaries came to my door, at the time I just assumed they were some sort of Jehovah's Witnesses

Any effort to update/"modernize" the dress standards, IMHO, needs to also maintain that visual impression that the Church has been cultivating for the last 40 years or so.

The dress standards sends the visual impression of being "out of touch" with the modern world. It's a leftover from the 1950s and probably should have stayed there.

I still think they are doing a better job then other churches

The numbers tells a different story. The other two protelyzing churches, Jehovah's Witnesses and the 7th Day Adventist, both have a higher convertion rate and both are growing faster than the LDS church.

The numbers tells a different story. The other two protelyzing churches, Jehovah's Witnesses and the 7th Day Adventist, both have a higher convertion rate and both are growing faster than the LDS church.

just because something isn't as successful doesn't mean the church doesn't understand the changing times.

Its hard to change with the times, especially since how quick our times change now. How information is shared and how easily people can get it (both positive and negative)

The dress standards sends the visual impression of being "out of touch" with the modern world. It's a leftover from the 1950s and probably should have stayed there.

This is not true. In the Philippines, the white shirt, tie, and nametag sends the visual impression, "I'm a Mormon missionary"... And this goes well before people figure out what Mormons mean/are. It is so distinguishable that once a friend/neighbor/acquaintance/stranger tells you, "Wanna go play basketball at the Mormon church?" people automatically say, oh yeah, that's where the white shirts go... And they wouldn't hesitate to play basketball there because they know white shirts and name tags are good people who are so cool as to know how to speak their language. And this goes before they even hear a whiff about Joseph Smith...

The numbers don't mean crap. Conversation rate is not dependent on what shirt you are wearing because it doesn't matter if you're wearing P. Diddy clothes, if somebody don't believe your church is true no conversion is gonna happen... Or, on the flip side of the coin, you can be wearing a nun's habit, if a person feels that your church is true, he's signing up for baptism. Simple as that. Now, how many people will stop to talk to you is a different matter. But, an LDS missionary's ability to speak the local language is a better indicator of his ability to connect with the locals than the shirt he is wearing.

I still think they are doing a better job then other churches

That's not saying much. I had some Baptists once that led off with "Did you know you're going to hell?" I just shut the door and had management remove them from the property.

Thread closed. This was about the announcement of new dress standard for missionaries. Not to bash other religions and their style of proselytizing.