This Church is true

JodyTJ

I can say without a doubt in my mind, that this church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is true. I've prayed about it, read the Book of Mormon (not all, only about 1/5 through), and I have come to the conclusion this church is the restored church. I've said this a lot in my posts on the board, but I think I should explain myself more. I don't understand some critics who say the church is false and that Joseph Smith's a fraud. He wasn't. How could a young man, with minimal education, organize a church like this, and also translate the Book of Mormon? There's no way anyone could write the Book of Mormon so beautifully, unless they were a prophet of God. The Bible is another perfect example of that.

Also, I don't think one man could organize such a great church like this, unless they were a prophet, which is what Joseph Smith was. The critics can keep on saying there's no proof for the Book of Mormon (there is, but our Heavenly Father hasn't revealed it yet) and Joseph Smith made it all up. They have no proof, and we Latter-day Saints do. I respect their opinions, but they have no basis, imo. I truly believe that God directed Joseph Smith to restore His church. No one can deny that this church has done a lot for the world and is doing more and more each and everyday.

Also, God has given us a great gift: living prophets. I think Thomas S. Monson is a prophet, and he is a huge inspiration in my life. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be where I am today.

Edited by JodyTJ

Jody, you feel this way because the Holy Spirit is testifying it to you as a Investigator. It did the same for me. :) Hold on to that feeling and remember it always. It is a source of strength when Satan tries to whisper to you otherwise. He will, and that's why I say to hold on to the Spirit and stay close....always. It's so lovely to hear of you being so filled with the Spirit. Isn't it a wonderful feeling? I remember first experiencing it and just wanting to burst with knowledge, truth, peace, joy and so forth. It truly changed who I was as a person.

Jody, you feel this way because the Holy Spirit is testifying it to you as a Investigator. It did the same for me. :) Hold on to that feeling and remember it always. It is a source of strength when Satan tries to whisper to you otherwise. He will, and that's why I say to hold on to the Spirit and stay close....always. It's so lovely to hear of you being so filled with the Spirit. Isn't it a wonderful feeling? I remember first experiencing it and just wanting to burst with knowledge, truth, peace, joy and so forth. It truly changed who I was as a person.

I can't explain the feeling, and the only physical reaction I get is goosebumps. I only get goosebumps when it's cold, or someone singing is really good. But for some reason I get goosebumps when thinking of how this church is true. I just got some goosebumps writing that.. :eek: I can't deny that this church is true, there's no proof that proves it's not true.

I love the feeling that I get... I feel happy and at peace with Christ.

Jody, as a non-member, I find it interesting that you gained great inspiration from President Monson. Do you mind sharing what he said or did, and how it helped you? The closest I could imagine in someone being inspired by Billy Graham or Mother Theresa.

It's hard to say. Whenever I watch President Monson speak at General Conference, dedicate a temple, or deliver a special message, I just get this feeling of peace. I find his words to be inspired, and always enjoy listening to him speak. His dedication to building up the church in Canada has also contributed to me finding him an inspirational figure. He has done a lot for the church and I can't wait for what else he does in the future.

I was bummed when I heard that baptisms aren't all that different from one another

I think most people feel at peace, and feel the the Holy Ghost. When I watched The District (still got one episode left), a lot of the converts felt like they were clean. I expect I'll feel the same way. Though, I was baptized as an infant, so this'll be something I've never done before.

I would like to share an interesting story of a friend. Many years ago when I first met this friend he was LDS, attended church and said that he knew the Church was the true and living church. I believe him and did not think much of it at the time. But after I had known him for a while he became involved with some very anti-LDS stuff and people. We would talk during this time and I could tell he was drifting in his feelings and beliefs. He began to question and tells me he just was not sure what he believed.

At one point he told me he was no longer going to associate with the Church. He told me that in his heart he never really believed the doctrine even though he has served a mission and been married in the temple - that he never believed any of it.

Since we worked for the same company we would often see each other but he asked me to no longer talk to him concerning religion. I found this quite impossible but I did respect his wishes to some degree not trying to force my religious opinions but at the same time not really hiding things I know and believe to be true.

After several more years my old friend would request to work with me on projects and once again we began to grow closer. He seem to have changed and loved asking me religious questions - at first it seemed that he was trying to trick me but over time his questions became more and more involved.

Finely my friend came to me and pronounced that he was coming back to the church and had is rebaptism cleared and asked me to attend. Of course I would come but what was of most interest was that he told me that he never really believed anything else that deep in his heart he always knew the church was true. This puzzled me greatly and I pursued better understanding of why what he had told me at different times was so contradictory.

I have come to believe that “The Spirit” has a very interesting influence on those that are influenced -- and this influence is the same if “The Spirit” is the Holy Spirit from G-d are a unclean spirit from Satan. That is that the influence of the spirit so affects a person that they will believe that they have always believed as the spirit is influencing them. So when the Holy Spirit is influencing them they will think that they have always believed such Holy things and when an evil spirit is influencing them they will think that they never did believe the Holy things.

This has been of much concern to me personally. Every night and morning when I say my personal prayers I am careful to ask that I be influenced by a Holy Spirit and be led to believe true things. I have also resolved to personally seek truth and things that are good - even though I may not feel the truth of it at first. But in the end knowing that it is only my personal righteousness that allows the Holy Spirit to be with me and influence me.

Therefore, it is my personal belief that it is more important to live righteously by covenant inviting the Holy Spirit (as PC on this forum is an example) -- than it is to belong to the True Church. And when the Spirit says to join with a new faith - you better do just as you are directed. I like to believe that should the spirit so direct me - I would join as directed in a heartbeat. I have great respect for those that are so lead by the spirit to change their life and covenants from something they dearly respect and love for the better as directed by The Spirit.

The Traveler

I think most people feel at peace, and feel the the Holy Ghost. When I watched The District (still got one episode left), a lot of the converts felt like they were clean. I expect I'll feel the same way. Though, I was baptized as an infant, so this'll be something I've never done before.

no I mean I can't do any of the insane things I normally do at my big life events

The critics can keep on saying there's no proof for the Book of Mormon (there is, but our Heavenly Father hasn't revealed it yet) and Joseph Smith made it all up.

The missionaries used to tell me (this was >20 years ago) that they could prove the BoM was true, but that they wouldn't because of the proverbial "proof denies faith" thing. This gave me the naive idea there must be some arcane proof which only existing believers were allowed to see. And this did not impress me since this "proof" (whatever it was) could never have been critically tested. My response was something like: "Yeah, you could present an argument that the BoM is true, but whether or not this constitutes "proof" would be a subjective decision."

In those days it was difficult to get information about the LDS. The best you could reasonably do (without going to undue trouble) was to ask the missionaries, who despite any amount of cajoling were unwilling to impart anything beyond the bare essentials for accepting their point of view (which was only natural given their agenda) or else scour the university library for slim pickings. (The best neutral source of information I could find was a book called The Lion of the Lord - a biography of Brigham Young written pre-1978.)

The Internet has changed the landscape totally. If there's one thing I've learned, its that the LDS are not the monolithic group I once imagined them to be, and the range of attitudes and opinions is enormous. Nevertheless I think the stereotype still persists. I once went to a church (not my own denomination) where the minister, talking about the value of being individuals said "thank God we're not Mormons!"

Edited by Jamie123