Talk about God not giving reasons.

CommanderSouth

I am reminded of this verse:

Wherefore, verily I say unto you that all things unto me are spiritual, and not at any time have I given unto you a law which was temporal; neither any man, nor the children of men; neither Adam, your father, whom I created.

D&C 29.34

I always interpreted that to look for the spiritual reasons for the Word of Wisdom, and not just the temporal (health) reasons.

As cited on FairMormon.org

...It's not the pattern of the Lord to give reasons. We can put reasons to commandments. When we do we're on our own. Some people put reasons to [the ban] and they turned out to be spectacularly wrong. There is a lesson in that.... The lesson I've drawn from that, I decided a long time ago that I had faith in the command and I had no faith in the reasons that had been suggested for it. ...I'm referring to reasons given by general authorities and reasons elaborated upon [those reasons] by others. The whole set of reasons seemed to me to be unnecessary risk taking. ...Let's [not] make the mistake that's been made in the past, here and in other areas, trying to put reasons to revelation. The reasons turn out to be man-made to a great extent. The revelations are what we sustain as the will of the Lord and that's where safety lies. (Dallin H. Oaks, Interview with Associated Press, in Daily Herald, Provo, Utah, 5 June 1988.)

Does anyone remember the talk which I believe was from GC, perhaps a devotional about God not always giving reasons why he commands certain things. I want to use it when discussing the Word of Wisdom with a friend.

I think it was Oaks, but I can't find it.

Thanks for any help!

I don't know the talk, but I'd lay money that God doesn't give all the reasons for something sometimes so we can't rationalize our way out of it.

You are the man mordor.

In my younger days I made a study of that as well. I humbly accept the title and take my place with David, Thomas, and Alma.

2 Samuel 12:7 (And Nathan said to David, Thou art the man)

Doctrine and Covenants 112:16 (my servant Thomas, thou art the man)

Alma 8:20 (And [Amulek] said to [Alma], ... thou art the man)

And we all look up to Mark(?).

Psalms 37:37 (Mark, the perfect man)