Make Our Schools Safer

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In CA:

How can I obtain a Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) license?

Contact your county's Sheriff's Office or, if you are a resident of an incorporated city, your city's Police Department, for information on obtaining a CCW license. They can answer your questions and provide you with copies of their CCW policy statement and the State's Standardized CCW Application. If you live within a jurisdiction of a city Police Department, you may apply to the county Sheriff's Office for a CCW license. However, only residents of a city may apply to a city's Police Department for a CCW license.

California law does not recognize CCW licenses issued in other states.

(PC Section 12050)

Here is more info: http://californiaccw.org/files/one-page-ccw-flyer.pdf

It is different between states. Arizona for example has this: http://phoenix.about.com/cs/crime/ht/concealed.htm

As I mentioned before, my husband just completed the training class that is required in order to receive his permit in our state.

In order to be approved for a concealed carrying permit in NC, applicant must:

Be a US citizen.

Be a resident of NC for at least 30 days.

Be at least 21 years old.

Not suffer from physical or mental infirmity that prevents safe handling of handgun.

Have successfully completed an approved firearms training course.

Applicant will be denied if applicant:

Is ineligible to possess firearm under federal or state law.

Is under indictment or against whom a finding of probably cause exists for a felony, or has ever been guilty of felony.

Is a fugitive from justice.

Is an unlawful user or addicted to marijuana, alcohol, depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance.

Is lacking mental capacity or mentally ill.

Has been dishonorably discharged from the military.

Has been convicted of impaired driving offense in the last 3 years.

Look at how the BBC compared UK gun laws to American: BBC Article.

Approximately .00012623% of the UK population was murdered in 2005/6.

Approximately .00055930% of the US population was murdered in 2005.

So, you are 4.4 times more likely to get murdered in the US. However, is this simply because American's have guns? I think we are just a much more rowdy bunch of heathens over here in the land of the free.

I carry my gun in an Inside the Waistband holster in the small of the back. Nobody has ever noticed it. They simply don't know I have it.

I would advise anyone who is contemplating a CCW endorsement to get more training with a pistol than the minimum weekend course for the permit. It is simply not enough.

-a-train

I would advise anyone who is contemplating a CCW endorsement to get more training with a pistol than the minimum weekend course for the permit. It is simply not enough.

I totally agree with this. I can't remember the name of it, but one of the courses my husband does is where they go into an abandoned house and do a timed exercise where different 'people' are represented and you have to make quick decisions about who you're shooting. Basically, you learn to not shoot anyone who pops up. You may be encountered with family members and can't shoot them... only the intruder. It's also important to target shoot frequently to stay brushed up on your skills.

This weekend class that's required should be only a formality, as you should have lots of experience with shooting before you even get to that point.

It seems that laws could very well vary from State to State.

Mental issues are mentioned. Is it required that the applicant get a psychological evaluation?

From the looks of it driving records can also be checked.

Now what about having the ability to purchase a gun. I would assume that the laws might also vary. I can't imagine that you are kept from taking it over state lines.

Thos who carry guns and have them with them most of the time, are they ever locked up?

Buying a gun is a lot easier than a CCW. All you got to do to purchase a gun is walk in and do a quick background check. Nothing as intensive as the CCW permits.

Laws to change from state to state, but that is a good thing. The reason is, you can experiment with certain ideas in one state and then what works can be adopted by other states.

I would be for some sort of written test for anyone looking to get a firearm. A 1 page small test asking (also reminding) of basic safty questions such as "Always treat your gun as loaded", "never point your firearm at anybody", etc.

Quick story on the rule to "Always treat your gun as loaded". A buddy of mine got a Tarus a while back. We went out to the range as he wanted to see how it fired compared to my Beretta 92F (They are supposed to be almost the same gun). Anyway I was letting off a couple rounds when the gun seemed to be empty. I thought ok, out of ammo, and started to walk back to the table while treating the gun as if it were still loaded.

I then noticed that it WAS still loaded and somehow the gun had jammed and so the slide on the top was still slightly open. Turns out the issue with that gun was due to a bad factory magazine which has sense been replaced. It certainly was scary though and if I had not been treating the firearm as if it were loaded at all times, a major accident could have happened.

I do think more people should get some formal training, especially in safty. I was at a local range a couple weeks ago and this guy was there who had no idea about firearm safty. He struck me as a person who might have only gone shooting a couple times his entire life and really could benifit from a training class.

Thos who carry guns and have them with them most of the time, are they ever locked up?

Most of these people have clean and perfect records. If they do something to tarnish that record they will lose their right to carry, and possibly own the firearm. I do not know the exact number but I would give an honest guess at 99.99999999999% of people who have a CCW have not commited any crimes with them. The media is so biased and anti gun that the very second one person with a CCW steps out of line, it will be headline news for the next year.

Maybe now that my kids are grown I will consider getting a permit. :sparklygrin:

Oh AND a gun. :P

Do yourself a favor and take a safty and training class. I know here you can take all sorts of different classes, even one at the University. They will teach you how to handle the firearm as well of what to do if it jams, how to store it, how to maintain it, etc.

A lot of our gun deaths are from suicides. If not a gun, they would jump off something, hang, OD, or find another way to die.

I also do not buy into your "50" number at all.

here has been a spate of shootings recently involving teenage victims in London but gun crime in the UK is still rare with 50 deaths in 2005/2006 compared with 78 the year before.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6574617.stm

If you're happy being disarmed that's great, but it won't happen here. Too many people appreciate their freedom.

I don't consider it a loss of freedom to not have a gun. And its not disarmed but unarmed, I would need to be carrying a weapon to be disarmed.

This is the article that I found at BBC News and results were for 4th quarter 2006 and not for the whole year.

Shooting deaths rose from 53 to 57, but police recorded an overall drop in firearms offences of 16%.

Population in UK in 2006 approx. 60 million.

I would agree that there are many who misuse firearms. At the same time I think that there are many more who are responsible firearms owners and since the genie is out of the bottle I don't plan on giving mine up so that only the bad guys have firearms. When they give all theirs up I still won't.

Ben Raines

First.... I am NOT a gun control person. This country has 300 years of a gun culture, with the VAST majority of gun owners being, well your law abiding next door neighbor. I also know how to maintain and safley shoot any number of weapons. My dad and late step-Father were both sharp shooters in the Marine Corps with my late step being one of the Chosin few. I don't own a gun, but I shoot them fairly often and enjoy it.

Having said that.... those of you who seem to want everybody packing.... are you nuts? Man, I know people... who could easily pass concealed weapons tests.... that I would not want to have one. Lots of them. Crap, even the police in adrenilin charged situations (something they are used to) miss more than they hit. A person, who doesn't get in these situations everyday (even with gun training) is going to do better? LOL to that.

I have to laugh.... I have gotten on this board and told of these situatios I have been in, and extreme sports I have done.... and many of you say, "I'd never do that". They call me crazy and so on. Well one thing is for sure.... I know how I handle exciting and charged situations - I live for them. Yet you'all think you are going to handle a gun in your face, know exactly what to do, win a firefight, against somebody who has a LOT less respect for life than you do..... by some sort of miracle. Most of you..... even with a gun.... would probably just freeze. It's all tough talk until you've been there. Ben - you of all people should know these things.

I'll give Ben the benefit of the doubt. The rest of you "I'm a packing" types, do nothing but make life exciting. Especially the guy who is an uncaught felon carrying a concealed weapon. That makes me feel SOOOO much better. Of course that sort of works for me. I've been faced down by a gun three times. Once it was a cops. Twice in Mexico (all interesting stories). In every situation had I been carrying..... and pulled it..... I would have been killed. In all three cases I just thought it was an interesting experience.

As far as in my house..... yeah that is all I want to do is get into a firefight with somebody as crazy as I am, with my kid in the house, and bullets and/or shot flying everywhere. That sound REAL practical. While Miss America in a walker in the boondocks packing is a good thing, it's not real functional here. I got two dogs.... one will take the shot (and probably inflict some damage) and the guy had better be quick on the shot with good aim.... me and the other dog will then kill the perp. Yes kill.... I am not remotely interested in a "his word against my word" situation after it is all done. He won't have a word... he'll be dead.

Scott - Lovin' these tough keyboard warriors.

This thread has helped me to have a greater understanding of the gun control law. I have been very anti gun except for the ones who really need them ie the law and military etc. Now I am considering owning my own gun and getting training. I think this is a very good thing. :D