Question to returned missionaries (of any age)

TalkativeIntrovert

When you went to members houses for a meal, what type of meals did you appreciate most?

I keep asking the missionaries what they would like and they always respond that they are happy for anything.

There has only been 1 missionary brave enough to say that he loved simple home cooked food rather than pasta and take away pizza. Apparently a lot of families have 2 working parents so pizza is easy, I can relate to that, but I have the time and the inclination to cook whatever they want, I just don't know what they want and they aren't telling me!

I often make homemade pizzas (and fruit pizza for dessert) because the missionaries in my area get "traditional home-cooked meals" so often that every time I've done a pizza night, they always say, "Oh my gosh, I haven't had pizza in FOREVER! That was soooo good!" Another good idea is a burger cookout in the summer (or later, depending on where you live).

Something that's nice to do is anything traditional to your area or your family. Tried and true is often best. Oh, and I'd push them to answer you. Tell them you're not asking to be polite...you really want to know what they'd like. Or at least, ask them to pick a genre of food: Mexican, Italian, Chinese, traditional American, etc.

If you're cooking for them just cook food you're good at. Everyone's got individual taste, but no missionary is going to want to dictate a family's menu. Also, if you create an atmosphere that is relaxed, fun-loving, jovial, that's huge. Also, be sure to invite them to share some positive missionary stories.

I was a missionary in Korea, and would have been mortified to think that I had established the menu, when invited into a family's home. Any good food from a kind, fun family was welcome. If they shared my faith and asked about my escapades in their country, I was always happy to share--and felt good about the experience.

It's been so many years, that I'm having a hard time remembering. I know that I didn't care for anything that was too exotic. Just simple home cooked meals. I served in Germany, and I'm not someone that likes anything too spicy or strong tasting, so Sauerkraut or Blut (blood) Wurst was not one of my favorites. Serving tap water over there was almost unheard of, and whenever we asked for water we'd get a big glass of mineral water. I got used to it.

I usually cook just what I normally cook for my family and just make extra servings. Then I take note with what they take heaping servings of and what they don't touch for the next time they come over.

I do ask about food allergies or major dislikes before figuring out the menu (I'd rather not have to explain to the mission president about putting one of his guys in the ER, and don't want one of them to have to be polite about choking down a food he really hates). Once that's sorted out, I'll pick something DH and I will like that fits with their stated needs. I always make BIG batches, since guys in that age range are basically stomachs with feet :D.

I do ask about food allergies or major dislikes before figuring out the menu (I'd rather not have to explain to the mission president about putting one of his guys in the ER, and don't want one of them to have to be polite about choking down a food he really hates). Once that's sorted out, I'll pick something DH and I will like that fits with their stated needs. I always make BIG batches, since guys in that age range are basically stomachs with feet :D.

In our ward - allergies, special requirements (have scoliosis), etc., for missionaries are announced in Relief Society everytime we get a new missionary. I'm in charge of the missionary dinner calendar, so I write the dietary requirements on the sign up sheet that gets passed around.

I always make BIG batches, since guys in that age range are basically stomachs with feet :D.

We often get Polynesian missionaries and I can totally agree with this comment, though the tiny Japanese missionary that ate 6 chicken schnitzels will go down in our history books!

Thanks for the suggestions, I am keeping a list of these great ideas for feeding a larger group as we normally have them all over at once (there are currently 8), so my kitchen wouldn't cope with just adding extra to our normal meals.

So far:

- Baked Potato Bar

- breakfast for dinner

- Burger Cookout (I assume this is the Aussie BBQ)

I have done Mexican help yourself nights where I make a big batch of meat and have all the salad and accompaniments on a table with Taco shells and wraps. Also Curry nights (not too hot) and serve rice, wraps and salads.

I am terrible at making pizza dough and our oven is small, so will skip that one :)

I prefer to offer them a help yourself style of meal so they can avoid things they don't like.

In our ward - allergies, special requirements (have scoliosis), etc., for missionaries are announced in Relief Society everytime we get a new missionary. I'm in charge of the missionary dinner calendar, so I write the dietary requirements on the sign up sheet that gets passed around.

I'll have to find out who handles that in my ward and gently suggest this. Should also ask to have included whether a missionary has cat or bird allergies, since I do have such pets.

When I was having the missionaries over a lot, I mostly made what they wanted, even if I didn't eat it (like meat when I would have a veggie version). I cooked what I was comfortable with, so no fish, since I don't care for it and don't really know how to cook it. I also did things like Christmas in July. I also have a pizza delivered to the elders at their place. They like that a lot.

Just a hint for those looking for something else to do besides a meal - I make Easter baskets/bags with little travel size toiletries and traditional Easter goodies. I thought I was going to cry on year when an Elder told me that was the only thing he'd gotten for Easter; not even a card from his parents. Also, you can always get groceries for them - especially if they don't have cars, it is nice to get the heavy stuff and bring it to them.

These days I like to take them to a restaurant. My son is busy with his girlfriend and taking the elders out means I don't have to cook and they get a nice restaurant meal.

Maybe because I'm a convert and haven't grown up with elders around all the time, but I try to make their meals special as opposed to stuff they can get all the time.

Seanette - even if the woman is older? I've always been able to take the elders to dinner or lunch at a restaurant, and usually I did it without my son. Now that I am older, I am able to have them at home or in my car (thank goodness, 'cause not being able to pick them up or drop them off was a hassle), by myself.