Being a Mormon Vegetarian

batman16

Hmm....let's see, at the local HEB, that would mean more salad, potatoes, bananas, cakes, pies, donuts, meat, meat, meat, bacon, meat, ice cream, and beer. Less bread and beans.

Yup, sounds legit.

Yep. That's the idea. Except I've never seen the Bakery not sell any bread, so you would have lots and lots of bread with your cake and donuts. Freshly baked.

Fresh produce, Fresh Deli, Fresh Meat, Fresh Dairy, Fresh Bakery... the perishable stuff. That's the ticket. Instead of Hamburger helpers, Chef Boyardee, or any of the processed foods that are in the aisles.

Yep. That's the idea. Except I've never seen the Bakery not sell any bread, so you would have lots and lots of bread with your cake and donuts. Freshly baked.

Bakery pushes all their bread except a couple of high-visual-appeal items over to aisle 2 with the Mrs Baird's.

And the Guinness is in a rack along the outside wall, so I can tell the bishop that anatess and Bacdoc said it was better for me than the bottled water on aisle 4 or juice on 5. :itwasntme:

Bakery pushes all their bread except a couple of high-visual-appeal items over to aisle 2 with the Mrs Baird's.

And the Guinness is in a rack along the outside wall, so I can tell the bishop that anatess and Bacdoc said it was better for me than the bottled water on aisle 4 or juice on 5. :itwasntme:

No, you can tell your bishop that NightSG refused to use his brain while receiving nutritional advice from Anatess and Bacdoc.

I mean, one can only pass for idiot for so long.

A friend once told me, "When personal pleasure is involved; intelligence is thrown out the window." Without question what we eat in an affluent society like ours is a matter of personal pleasure. Most items - especially processed items - are loaded with stuff that tastes good but is not really healthy. Grief, even lean meats and fresh produce often are genetically altered or in some other way - "artistically enhanced". A quart or leader of fruit juice usually contain a cup of sugar or more. It is not easy to be healthy - and it requires vigilance and a discipline that is more likely to be ridiculed than praised.

We all laugh at Bill Cosby's justification of cake for breakfast because it contains milk and eggs which are healthy. The point that so many miss is that in order to eat healthy in this society you are going to have to be somewhat extreme - and heaven help you if you ever try to take a healthy stand in public or offer any truthful advice - especially to anyone overweight.

If anyone ever asks - how do you stay fit at your age -- it is best to lie.

The Traveler

A friend once told me, "When personal pleasure is involved; intelligence is thrown out the window." Without question what we eat in an affluent society like ours is a matter of personal pleasure. Most items - especially processed items - are loaded with stuff that tastes good but is not really healthy. Grief, even lean meats and fresh produce often are genetically altered or in some other way - "artistically enhanced". A quart or leader of fruit juice usually contain a cup of sugar or more. It is not easy to be healthy - and it requires vigilance and a discipline that is more likely to be ridiculed than praised.

We all laugh at Bill Cosby's justification of cake for breakfast because it contains milk and eggs which are healthy. The point that so many miss is that in order to eat healthy in this society you are going to have to be somewhat extreme - and heaven help you if you ever try to take a healthy stand in public or offer any truthful advice - especially to anyone overweight.

If anyone ever asks - how do you stay fit at your age -- it is best to lie.

The Traveler

Are you ever able to post anything regarding health without taking a jab at overweight people? The (inaccurate) generalization is bad enough - and your assumption that anyone who disagress with your stance must be overweight - but the disdain and moral judgement-making....wow. You have a clear bias.

Why is it acceptable to have THIS prejudice? I am assuming you wouldn't have such an attitude against a race (I could be wrong), why is size bias okay? There is a serious issue here.

Are you ever able to post anything regarding health without taking a jab at overweight people? The (inaccurate) generalization is bad enough - and your assumption that anyone who disagress with your stance must be overweight - but the disdain and moral judgement-making....wow. You have a clear bias.

Why is it acceptable to have THIS prejudice? I am assuming you wouldn't have such an attitude against a race (I could be wrong), why is size bias okay? There is a serious issue here.

Leah, perhaps The Traveler does have a bias against overweight people, I don't know. What I do know is that when I read the post you quoted and attacked I didn't see his intentions that way. I really should know better than to even get involved, but I feel it is only fair to share what I see in the hope it's helpful to any party involved. What I see is that TT basically pointed out that our society is so far off in our daily dietary practice compared to what is truly healthy that even the act of sharing what one does to stay healthy can be perceived as extreme and does indeed require effort. A lot of people get upset at the notion that what they are doing isn't ideal and to make themselves feel better they attack those making efforts to be healthy whether by making snide remarks about how people eat or labeling them as "health nuts," or "fitness freaks." Since people are so sensitive about it, it is often best to remain silent and keep to yourself to avoid conflict that is not intended. Usually comments about healthy lifestyle are really meant to be useful not to make people feel bad.

So sadly, in my observation your comment attacking TT as having size bias issues only proves his point that some people are really sensitive and it is better to not to engage in honest conversation with them because they will take offense.

I want to finish by saying I respect both of you. I don't know what other history may be between you in these forums to lead to the conclusions Leah has drawn. I simply wanted to offer food for thought that I didn't see it that way. Perhaps an outside perspective will help.

Perhaps I too should just be silent.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey everyone, I don't know if this is the right forum to post this in but, I'm just wondering if anyone is a mormon and a vegetarian? Or even if you're not what your views on it are? Lately my feelings have been growing to become a vegetarian. Currently the people I live with are big meat eaters and when they found out I want to stop eating meat It was like I came out of the closet or something. They were kind of shocked and even referenced that the scriptures say we are suppose to eat meat. Does anyone know where in the scriptures it would say that? Or would it just be the way they interpreted it?

I've been a vegetarian for 12 years come March, including on my mission. I still eat eggs and dairy products with no plans on going vegan ever. But Next to that I don't have any sort of meat including fish and chicken.

My views one being a vegetarian: there's nothing completely incompatible with being a vegetarian. There's nothing, scriptural, forcing me to eat meat either. Likewise there's nothing, scriptural, to impose my eating habits on another. And on my mission with self-assured elders around, a few would try to convince me otherwise. It never went very far, their arguments were holey, and they usually left frustrated.

My perspective is that vegetarianism works for me. I eat a well rounded diet. I feel healthy. I rarely get sick and when I do get sick with a cold or something, it usually lasts 3-4 days tops. My meals are hardy, healthful, and nourishing. I'm am always grateful for them. I feel that it's my own way to have better stewardship and be comfortable with how my food was raised. In short I feel the blessings of the WoW and I'm grateful for it. But someone who eats meat isn't negated these blessings as well. There are ways to be conscientious, healthful eaters with or without meat. It's about balance and informed decisions.

With luv,

BD

We don't use a microwave either.

We also don't eat meat. When we used to eat it, it was really, really limited (and we/I weren't even Mormon yet). We did it because we knew it was better for our health.

Now, occasionally we will eat fish or other seafood (salmon). But anything that walks on land is off limits, including dairy and egg products.

As I've read the WoW I do believe that it says "sparingly" in regards to meat. I don't know if this is because it's bad to eat too much or if it's simply so that you're not being glutenous over meat. Maybe both. In any case, we know that meat is hard to digest, doesn't really contain as much nutrients as main stream information would like for us to believe (hello pediatrician who pushes chicken!) and some meat contains fat that is not good for the heart. Over all, too much of it is bad.

What made us switch was a few reasons, but the biggest one was that it's expensive and unnecessary to nourish your body.