Big Love

Dorian

The problem with that is polygamy is part of the FLDS religion which is what the show showed.

Personally I loved the show. I still watch it every once in awhile even.

yeah I know, I know the difference, and its not just the polygamy thing (I think they also have a temple shaped like a pyramid too)

but your average person doesn't know the difference between the two

yeah I know, I know the difference, and its not just the polygamy thing (I think they also have a temple shaped like a pyramid too)

The Community of Christ (formerly RLDS) have this temple (along with the Kirtland temple).

http://cdn.blog.mrm.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/CoC-Temple.jpg

And the FLDS temple is in Texas

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1f/FLDS_Eldorado_hi.jpg

Big Love was a fictional FLDS type church which was really more of a clan than a church.

I think FLDS and other fundamentalist groups also believe in Adam-God doctrine and the United Order.

I think most people (probably all) who watched understood that polygamy isn't part of the LDS Church, I mean a large part of the narrative was Bill being at log aheads with the Church (and Barb with her sister) because they weren't in the same religion.

I think FLDS and other fundamentalist groups also believe in Adam-God doctrine and the United Order.

I think most people (probably all) who watched understood that polygamy isn't part of the LDS Church, I mean a large part of the narrative was Bill being at log aheads with the Church (and Barb with her sister) because they weren't in the same religion.

yeah generally if they believe in polygamy, according to wikipedia, they believe in the Adam-God doctrine and what not, mind you I don't know much about them, nor do I pretend to, they don't exactly have a helpful missionary chat to answer my questions:lol:

I was a faithful fan. Like the OP, I knew it didn't depict the LDS accurately, but it did provide a look into the LDS (since Bill was always fighting against it and trying to get polygamy accepted). I frequented a TV board and there was a lot of discussion about LDS behavior. Most people don't know anything about it (including myself at the time), so it was interesting to have LDS on the board who were willing to explain what was 'real' LDS behavior and what was not.

I'm sure a lot of LDS were upset that parts of a temple session (they used the old one, I'm sure to make LDS look bad) was shown, but it was fascinating.

...I'm sure a lot of LDS were upset that parts of a temple session (they used the old one, I'm sure to make LDS look bad) was shown, but it was fascinating.

I don't think the temple session scene was used to make the LDS to look bad. The scene was great, I personally thought it was beautiful and touching.

M.

Other than the disrespect of the temple scene, what bothered me was that they went down a few steps into the Celestial room. Hello, the temple experience elevates you and each room represents a lifting both in height and lightness, and to have them have the Celestial room be downstairs was really annoying.

Other than the disrespect of the temple scene, what bothered me was that they went down a few steps into the Celestial room. Hello, the temple experience elevates you and each room represents a lifting both in height and lightness, and to have them have the Celestial room be downstairs was really annoying.

you know I am sure something like that was deliberate, I mean no non Mormon would ever know that (I didn't know that)

Interesting point. I'm sure they probably inserted the stairs so it would look special to have her descending into the Celestial Room, but I see what you mean. I never thought of it that way before.

The executive producers of Big Love hired ex-Mormon consultants to help with the Temple scenes, etc. I'm not sure if going down into the Celestial Room was intended to be negative. IMO, the touching part was when Barb entered the Celestial Room and her Mother and Sister were waiting for her and they were all happy and smiling.

M.