More dumb convert questions - the phrases on temples

As far as I understand it, all temples have 'Holiness to the Lord. House of the Lord' on them. Yes?

I understand 'House of the Lord,' but have never understood 'Holiness to the Lord.' The Lord IS holiness; what holiness is going to the Lord? To me, it seems the temple is more a place of the holiness of the Lord - I'm going to partake in some of that holiness, I'm certainly not bringing anything on that level in with me.

And, since LDS refer to both HF and Jesus, who is the 'Lord' written on the temple? Is the temple the house of HF or the house of Jesus? Why not say 'House of God,' which would cover HF and Jesus, I guess.

The phrase "Holiness to the Lord" comes from the Old Testament.

Exodus 39:30

30 ¶And they made the plate of the holy crown of pure gold, and wrote upon it a writing, like to the engravings of a signet, Holiness to the Lord.

Exodus 28:36

36 ¶And thou shalt make a plate of pure gold, and grave upon it, like the engravings of a signet, Holiness to the Lord.

OK. Now we know where it comes from, what does it mean?

Here's the Hebrew version. The phrase in Hebrew consists of two words: "qodesh Yĕhovah." The meaning of the second word is obvious, while Strong translates qodesh as "apartness, holiness, sacredness, separateness." This to me suggests that the phrase is meant as a description of Gods qualities more than a bestowal of those qualities. Perhaps the KJV rendition is a way of speaking that is lost on 21st century English?

EDIT: The 1599 Geneva Bible also renders it the same, and adds this as a footnote:

Holiness appertaineth to the Lord: for he is most holy, and nothing unholy may appear before him.

Perhaps "Holiness to the Lord" can also be taken to mean the kinds of attitudes and behaviors we bring to the temple, and hence, to the Lord.

Edited by LittleWyvern

Good Evening dahlia. I hope you've been well! :)

OK. Now we know where it comes from, what does it mean?

We go to the temple to learn to become holy. A saint is a "holy one" or saints are "holy ones". We could say that we are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Holy Ones (or at least that is what we ought to be or ought to be becoming). We learn how to approach the Lord in the temple. The temple symbolically shows us how we can prepare ourselves to be presented at the veil and return back in to the presence of Jesus Christ through whom we have access to Heavenly Father. In the old testament the priest could not enter the Holy of Holies without first having on the garments of the priesthood. This is significant. Our donning on our temple clothing during the endowment is significant and symbolically represents us being prepared and ready to return back to the presence of the Father. It represents a progression of having more light, life, and truth added to us as we make and keep covenants of the priesthood. The temple endowment symbolically represents an actual, true to life, event where we actually "knock and it [the veil] shall be opened unto you" so that we can return back to the presence of the Father. It is something that we should all be working towards.

President Heber C. Kimball said that "truth is life, and life is light" and as we treasure up truth we will be filled with light and life. And if we are filled with light and life we will be filled with the spirit of God. If we are filled with the spirit of God, we are indeed holy. Holiness to the Lord.

Recommended reading

-Finrock

Edited by Finrock

I think it's a simple but important lesson. We are entering the House of the Lord, and we must be holy to enter into His presence. It simply reminds us that the space is holy, not just because it's dedicated to the Lord, but that those who enter are (or should be) holy.

Holiness appertaineth to the Lord: for he is most holy,

This makes sense to me, that holiness is a characteristic of the Lord, as opposed to we are bringing holiness to the Lord.

OK, but now who is 'the Lord' as LDS see Him. Heavenly Father? Jesus?

Edited by dahlia
added question

I see 'the Lord' as Jesus Christ, as He is the one we make new covenants through, to be made clean to return to the presence of God the Father. No one can return to the Father, but through Christ.

Just one side of what could be a very convoluted conversation. :)