Are these prayers OK?

andypg

I love prayer and growing up, there were some prayers that really touched me and helped me draw nearer to my Heavenly Father. I was wondering if it was OK to pray these prayers. Sorry if this is too long.

Divine Mercy Prayers

Eternal Father, I offer you the body and the blood, soul and divinity, of your dearly beloved Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, in atonement for our sins and those of the whole world. Amen.

For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world. Amen.

Prayer of St. Francis of Assissi

Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;

Where there is hatred, let me sow love;

Where there is injury, pardon;

Where there is error, truth;

Where there is doubt, faith;

Where there is despair, hope;

Where there is darkness, light;

And where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, Grant that I may not so much seek

To be consoled as to console;

To be understood as to understand;

To be loved as to love.

For it is in giving that we receive;

It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;

And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

Prayer of Abandonment

Father,

I abandon myself into your hands;

do with me what you will.

Whatever you may do, I thank you:

I am ready for all, I accept all.

Let only your will be done in me,

and in all your creatures -

I wish no more than this, O Lord.

Into your hands I commend my soul:

I offer it to you with all the love of my heart,

for I love you, Lord, and so need to give myself,

to surrender myself into your hands without reserve,

and with boundless confidence,

for you are my Father.

Prayer of St. Ignatius of Loyola

Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty,

my memory, my understanding

and my entire will,

All I have and call my own.

You have given all to me.

To you, Lord, I return it.

Everything is yours; do with it what you will.

Give me only your love and your grace.

That is enough for me.

(this next one, one of my favorites, may be the most problematic, but I love it and will post it anyways)

Anima Cristi

Soul of Christ, sanctify me

Body of Christ, save me

Blood of Christ, inebriate me

Water from the side of Christ, wash me

Passion of Christ, strengthen me

Good Jesus, hear me

Within the wounds, shelter me

from turning away, keep me

From the evil one, protect me

At the hour of my death, call me

Into your presence lead me

to praise you with all your saints

Forever and ever

Amen

When we're cautioned against repetitive prayer, I believe we're being told not to pray without thought or feeling; and not to use another's words to "get out of" thinking of our own prayer. If you feel those prayers and are speaking to your Father with your heart, I don't see a problem with using them to supplement your personal prayers.

When we're cautioned against repetitive prayer, I believe we're being told not to pray without thought or feeling; and not to use another's words to "get out of" thinking of our own prayer. If you feel those prayers and are speaking to your Father with your heart, I don't see a problem with using them to supplement your personal prayers.

These prayers really, deep down, things I want to express to my Heavenly Father. They put into words what I long for. However, is there anything in these prayers that would be theologically questionable or heretical from an LDS perspective?

Just like the post after me, the proper order to pray is to address Heavenly Father at the beginning and close in Jesus' name. I'm sure you could adjust the wording to do that ("Father, please sanctify me in the soul of Christ, please save me in the body of Christ", etc.). Other than that, nothing sticks out to me as false or heretic or anything. ;)

Also remember that your prayers do not have to be elaborate or poetic. Just tell your Father what is in your heart. :)

I believe we dont need set prayers for most things. just like the others said the proper way is to open a prayer in Heavenly Fathers name Close it in the name of Jesus Christ Amen.....the body of the prayer should come from your heart talk to the Lord, pour out your feelings, your grataude, things you want, blessings, things you dont understand,your pain, direction, etc etc, talk toHim like your talking to a dear friend its also good to end thy will be done, in the name of Jesus Christ amen. Prayer is your connection line, like a phone line to the Lord.

These prayers really, deep down, things I want to express to my Heavenly Father. They put into words what I long for. However, is there anything in these prayers that would be theologically questionable or heretical from an LDS perspective?

There might be a couple of things. For one, we can't offer up Christ to Heavenly Father. The Savior offered himself to the Father all on his own.

Search lds.org on the topic of prayer. You will find some very helpful things. Keep in mind that our Heavenly Father knows our hearts. We do not need to be well versed our know big words to pray. Personal prayer is just that- personal. We can silently pray our feelings to Him if we are at a loss for words. Also, singing a hymn is also a form of prayer. Heavenly Father will not deny us blessings if we don't pray an elaborate prayer to Him.

Andy, these are Trinitarian prayers. So, here's my suggestion. Go through them again with your knowledge of the Godhead and study each line to address the specific person in the Godhead. Christ Himself taught us to pray to our Father in Christ's name.

I'll diverge a bit:

I pray in both Latin & Arabic on a fairly regular basis.

While the words are deeply meaningful to me, they are also set prayers. Sometimes my focus is on the words themselves, sometimes they're merely a focus while the true prayer is in my heart & mind.

I figure that if they irked HF the Spirit might mention it.

So far, radio silence on that score.

While I respect, and agree, with the caution against set prayers... As it's easy to ONLY go through the motions... We DO have hymns / songs in the church. I consider my set prayers as those; spoken music that makes my heart & mind sing. Especially as I'm rubbish at singing / my body cannot.

Q

If they give you comfort then they are fulfilling their purpose. We pray for us, not for God. God does not need our gratitude and praise, but we need to give it to let us know our standing before God, as it humbles us, which makes us better people, then we find more peace.

Edited by Scotch

Also remember that your prayers do not have to be elaborate or poetic. Just tell your Father what is in your heart. :)

These I whole heartedly agree with.

Prayers should be opened by addressing our Heavenly Father and closed in the name of Jesus Christ. Except in very specific ordinances, the content of the prayer should be given as directed by the Spirit.
Just like the post after me, the proper order to pray is to address Heavenly Father at the beginning and close in Jesus' name. ...

These I'm don't agree with so much. I don't know of any doctrinal and binding source that sets such a strict form on the pattern of prayer. I'm sure someone will pull up talk after talk, but the closest thing I can think of as evidence of this approach to prayer is the old missionary flip chart. Forgive my heresy, but I think that falls short of doctrine.

I think it's fair to say that the customary form of prayer (and the form most appropriate when giving a prayer in a public meeting, perhaps) is as described above, but it need not be that way every time. When Alma wrote about crying to the Lord in your closet, in the fields, and over your flocks, I don't think he had in mind starting every conversation with "Dear Heavenly Father."

So I'm with Eowyn when she suggests (and I rephrase a little) that if saying a certain prayer helps you feel closer to God, go for it. And don't worry about any of the other little stuff.

Here is the doctrine of addressing Heavenly Father:

"9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name." Matt 6:9

An example:

"1 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:" John 17:1

Doctrine on praying in the name of Jesus Christ:

"19 Therefore ye must always pray unto the Father in my name;" 3 Nephi 18:19

(3 Nephi 18:19-23,30)

I think we are, for the most part, in agreement. Starting a prayer with, "Dear Heavenly Father..." is just one example of how to address or Heavenly Father. It is by no means the only way. There are many other ways to address our Heavenly Father, and it is clear that when we pray we are to address Him and pray in the name of Jesus Christ.

Here is the doctrine of addressing Heavenly Father:

"9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name." Matt 6:9

An example:

"1 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:" John 17:1

Doctrine on praying in the name of Jesus Christ:

"19 Therefore ye must always pray unto the Father in my name;" 3 Nephi 18:19

(3 Nephi 18:19-23,30)

I think we are, for the most part, in agreement. Starting a prayer with, "Dear Heavenly Father..." is just one example of how to address or Heavenly Father. It is by no means the only way. There are many other ways to address our Heavenly Father, and it is clear that when we pray we are to address Him and pray in the name of Jesus Christ.

This description I can work with. Your earlier description ("should be opened by addressing our Heavenly Father and closed in the name of Jesus Christ") is a bit too rigid and linear for my tastes.

I think as Mormons use a lot of repetitions when we pray. A classic one is "...That it may nourish and strengthen our bodies" (I admit I chuckle a bit in that one when we are blessing doritos and doughnuts). :P

We're thankful for the moisture we've received?