Monday Is Special

Annabelli

I thought about Monday Family Home Evening for a long time. It was started a long time ago and maybe the reasoning behind it was not brought forward. Families spend a lot of time together so why devote an hour or so to a formal evening time and on Monday of all days? It must have bothered me a lot. We seem to have a family home evening every night. There is a difference that we should observe on this particular day?

Of course in time, I received my answer through the Holy Ghost. Monday is the day in which we make our decisions. You decided on Monday that you was going to study for a test on Friday even though you may have waited until Thursday night or looked over your study guides before breakfast on Friday morning.

Monday has became so important that I look forward to the day and Family Home Evening. It makes all the difference in the world to me now.

Guest Yediyd

I still have a problem with Family Home evening...My son fights me and the church so hard that FHE is a chore that we skip most mondays...If it were just my daughter and I...there would be no problem...she loves the gosple...but my son refuses to have anything to do with prayer or the church at all...I have to drag him to church every sunday...I guess I have decided to pick my battles where FHE is concerned.

Guest Yediyd

my family's just getting into the habbit of FHE. So far it's trips to walmart and a family movie! :) and the movies have been chick flicks my mom and sis pick out :P i'm more of an action person...

You know...It never occured to me that we could have FHE without doing a "lesson"...you mean...just like a family game night? Think I could manage that...thanks for the idea...we will see how it goes.

<div class='quotemain'>

my family's just getting into the habbit of FHE. So far it's trips to walmart and a family movie! :) and the movies have been chick flicks my mom and sis pick out :P i'm more of an action person...

You know...It never occured to me that we could have FHE without doing a "lesson"...you mean...just like a family game night? Think I could manage that...thanks for the idea...we will see how it goes.

yeah, it was easyer on my family that way. My dad's a new convert and my mom's busy with primary stuff, so it's basicly a get together thing! i enjoy it! but we need to have a lesson too...ah well! this shall do for now! :D

yeah, pirates is awesome! but it scares my sister...so we really don't watch it as a family

Guest Yediyd

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

yeah, it was easyer on my family that way. My dad's a new convert and my mom's busy with primary stuff, so it's basicly a get together thing! i enjoy it! but we need to have a lesson too...ah well! this shall do for now! :D

yeah, pirates is awesome! but it scares my sister...so we really don't watch it as a family

Well, I think I will "sneek" in a prayer over the snacks...and try to engage them in talk about the gosple while we play a game or something...will see how that "flies"...It's worth a try! I've been at the point of giving up on FHE, now at least...I have another stratigy to try. Thanks!

Well, I think I will "sneek" in a prayer over the snacks...and try to engage them in talk about the gosple while we play a game or something...will see how that "flies"...It's worth a try! I've been at the point of giving up on FHE, now at least...I have another stratigy to try. Thanks!

Somehthing you might try instead of a blessing is sit and talk about the snacks what goes into making them, where they come from, how parts of them are made etc

Charley

we our kids were teenagers...Family Home Evening was always better for us on a Sunday evening. We have many sunday evenings where we sit upstairs in our livingroom and just talk....there is no TV in this room. We always taught our kids our Home was like our Temple. This livingroom I am talking about is like our Celestial room. To this day our favorite family game of all time is none other than "Uno". Now that some of my kids are married and gone...when we all get together someone always mentions...."lets play Uno".

<div class='quotemain'>

Somehthing you might try instead of a blessing is sit and talk about the snacks what goes into making them, where they come from, how parts of them are made etc

Charley

that's a good idea too! Are you going to try this? we also make cookies and whatnot for FHE too as a family if we can...

We have a special meal on the Saturday where we do this its great - I bake bread so its in the middle of the table and we have the Jewish Pencillin Chicken Soup, followed by a good desert. We light candles and put flowers on the table - then we talk about the chicken that gave up its lives, how Heavenly Father send the rain for the wheat so we could have flour for the bread - about the people who work at the 'flour factory' and then we say the blessing - its helping our 3.5 year old enrich how she says the blessing and us too we seem to grow closer to Heavenly Father we also hold hands to say our blessings now because my daughter says its a family together meal. She also knows its the start of the Sabbath and she can't go out until after we have Tuna Sandwiches on the Sunday evening - I will extend that but I think at 3 if she can do 24 hours of being great we can let her go out for a bit with her friends for an hour on Sunday evening, I am finding though she is incresingly choosing to stay in of her own accord. We also have a special FHE meal - chilli bean soup (nacho soup with beans), cornbread, strawberry milkshake and icecream, we have that after the lesson but before the actvity, we do discuss the food where it comes from but in less depth but we use the candles, flowers and nice napkins for it. We have the same meal everyweek trouble is our daughter now thinks if we make chilli bean soup its FHE lol(Ellie calls it Holy Ghost soup because it makes her feel warm and cosy like the Holy Ghost) - couple of weeks ago I forgot about FHE lost track of the day she didn't she demanded it, brought a jigsaw in and said OK Mummy just tinned soup will do but I am having FHE (well paraphrasing). I don't make FHE compulsory I just do it - and my daughter chooses to be there or not again she is choosing more often to be there.

I got a super book called Learn to Pray by Marcus Braybrooke and its fantastic with ideas like this its not LDS but gave me ideas about how to teach my daughter to meditate and pray - like going for a picnic, collecting leaves, sticks, acorns etc then talking about them and the creation story as a result. I am using this as the basis of our FHE right now I know I should use the church manual but we started doing FHE with the same format when Ellie was 10 months old and she was still a little young for the ideas in it so we made our own way and I find inspiration appears from lots of places.

Charley

I thought about Monday Family Home Evening for a long time. It was started a long time ago and maybe the reasoning behind it was not brought forward. Families spend a lot of time together so why devote an hour or so to a formal evening time and on Monday of all days? It must have bothered me a lot. We seem to have a family home evening every night. There is a difference that we should observe on this particular day?

Of course in time, I received my answer through the Holy Ghost. Monday is the day in which we make our decisions. You decided on Monday that you was going to study for a test on Friday even though you may have waited until Thursday night or looked over your study guides before breakfast on Friday morning.

Monday has became so important that I look forward to the day and Family Home Evening. It makes all the difference in the world to me now.

Just a side note. Years ago in the church FHE used to be Wednesday nights.

There are some great resources online for FHE. If you look there is a ton of free stuff. There is a great Heleman lesson, with pictures and a game that you can download for free. It is on Hatchpatchcreations.com. Also Jennysmith.net also had lots of free stuff you can make things much easier.

There are some great resources online for FHE. If you look there is a ton of free stuff. There is a great Heleman lesson, with pictures and a game that you can download for free. It is on Hatchpatchcreations.com. Also Jennysmith.net also had lots of free stuff you can make things much easier.

Oh I agree about Jennysmith.net I got a wonderful reverence book off there for sacrament

Charley

• 2 months later...

one of the few things i remember as a young tot living in the California Bay Area, in a discussion on FHE, and the time coincdence of MNF, he advised that it was perfectly ok for the FHE activity to watch the first half of the game have a lesson at halftime, and then put the lil' ones to bed.

this however does not work on the east coast....kickoff is at 9 it has now been adjusted as to teh activity for the lil ones is the first quater, or 930 which ever comes first......

:lol:

I've never really thought that FHE had to be all about lessons. To me it is a time that we put away the cell phones and do something just as a family. We are a family that loves movies. Unfortunately trying to find a time that we are all home is rather difficult. I have found Sundays seem to be the best days. We have many movie nights on Sundays. When one of my teenagers goes to respond to a text message they get "THE LOOK" from me.

I've never really thought that FHE had to be all about lessons. To me it is a time that we put away the cell phones and do something just as a family. We are a family that loves movies. Unfortunately trying to find a time that we are all home is rather difficult. I have found Sundays seem to be the best days. We have many movie nights on Sundays. When one of my teenagers goes to respond to a text message they get "THE LOOK" from me.

I agree some nights we do lessons others we just have fun. With los the lesson lasts about 10 minutes and then we play.

-Charley

• 1 month later...

My husband works on Monday evenings so we hold FHE on Sunday night.

Last night things were running really late and hubby recommended that we skip FHE.

My 4 year old daughter dissolved into a sobbing heap because she didn't want to skip it.

I was very, very touched at how much it really means to her.

Needless to say we proceeded with a short and simple program before bedtime.

We have a tricky situation with a very big age gap between our kids.

Big brother is 13 and in high school, little sister is 4 and in preschool.

So, pitching a lesson that is suitable for both can be difficult.

We usually begin with a simplified lesson concept that suits the little one.

Then one of us takes her for a craft activity that relates to the lesson whilst the 'teacher' expands the concept to the level of the 13 year old....it works for us.

Right now we are doing one article of faith each week.

For big brother - he is revising and rememorising them.

For little sister - she is learning them for the first time.

We are using the musical version to help with the memorising.

For our older boy we expand the concept and explain them in greater depth.

For our young daughter, I reinforce the songs by singing them before daytime nap and before bed at night.

We are up to AoF #3 this week.

The good thing is that the lesson is taken care of for the next 10 weeks...whoo hoo!!!!

Onyx