What is the toughest change of behaviour that you have made for the gospel?

Sunday21

For me the toughest change that I have made in an effort to obey the gospel is not working Sundays. I thought this would kill me. I obey but almost every week for many years I am tempted to break the sabbath and work. Now I am trying to be cheerful and positive. Very hard. I am practicing smiling. Boy this is tough!

Toughest change I've made to live the gospel... Good question, I can think of a lot, but I'll narrow it down to one. I would say following the Word of Wisdom has probably been the most challenging, and perhaps combined with modesty, as well. I've always loved coffee, having a few drinks with friends, and before becoming active again, most of my clothing was not considered modest by LDS standards.

Could you be more specific? Like, do you mean more gentle in demeanor or less blunt or... ?

I'm gruff, blunt, forward and lack tact.  I have a serious dislike for disingenuousness and I don't suffer fools.  Think House, MD, but not so much to his extreme.  But I am getting better at tempering myself and being more tactfull but I still have a long, long way to go.  But hey, at least I no longer curse at people in church, that's progress :thumbsup:

Guest LiterateParakeet

Oh that's easy--PRIDE

I've been working on it for years, and I imagine I will be working on it for: a life time.  

But I'm not alone, I suspect it is the same for all of you.  :)

I believe PRIDE is the last sin any of us will overcome, because pride or putting our will before God's is the root of all any sins.  If it were not for pride, we would all be perfect.

Slamjet:  I'm gruff, blunt, forward and lack tact.  I have a serious dislike for disingenuousness and I don't suffer fools.

Me too - only I am not gruff. Husband is helping me to temper, tone-down my bluntness. And the Lord has been instrumental in keeping His hand firmly over my mouth while I am under His roof.

Keeping the Sabbath holy.

There are so many things that I believe is keeping the Sabbath holy that LDS don't think it is... for example, Sunday is our weekly family gathering.  The entire clan meet every single Sunday to be a family.  When I was in the Philippines, that is usually out to some resort island swimming, boating, hanging out, singing karaoke... which does not fly as proper holy Sabbath activity.

So yeah, like Quinn said - I haven't managed to change that yet.... probably because I still haven't gotten a testimony that it is not proper holy Sabbath activity...

But hey, at least I no longer curse at people in church, that's progress :thumbsup:

Hee Hee. I haven't said anything out loud, but I've had a few uncharitable thoughts. I find I have to play heavy rock and roll on the way to the chapel to get the 'devil' out of me before service. I don't think I will ever be a sweet spirit. 

The hardest thing for me has been tea. I was never much of a coffee  or liquor drinker, and didn't smoke, so giving those up wasn't a problem. Tea was a constant companion for me since childhoo. I don't care for most of the herbal teas; they don't give me the same comfort and pleasure that black tea does. I made a comment in Sunday School about the Snapple aisle calling my name. Born Mormons who've never had tea or liquor or smoked don't know what a sacarifice, what a change iin daily life, converting can be.