Father's Day

Blessed

I have been racking my brain trying to thnk of something unique and fun for my husband for Father's Day and I finally think I found something. I was thinking of getting us a tour of part of Alaska on an ATV. I thought my husband would really like that since we don't have ATV's and it would give us a chance to see part of Alaska. What do you think and what are you ideas on what you are giving your husband???

I have been racking my brain trying to thnk of something unique and fun for my husband for Father's Day and I finally think I found something. I was thinking of getting us a tour of part of Alaska on an ATV. I thought my husband would really like that since we don't have ATV's and it would give us a chance to see part of Alaska. What do you think and what are you ideas on what you are giving your husband???

Thats sounds fantastic not sure what we are doing yet - I think tommorrow I will bake a cake with the kids and then we can go shopping, thinking maybe a camping trip

Charley

That sounds great blessed :D

I too found myself facing the same dilema... What has made it worse is the fact that this will be my hybby's first Father's Day.

What has been perfect is that we have been on holiday in South Africa for the past month.. So what I have done is get a packet of mini South African chocolates & sweeties to take back to Malaysia for him... It has been easy to hide them from him because he doesn't pack the suitcases when we travel :lol:

My DH is a student, so alas, we have no money for 2 1/2 more years, so I can't get anything cool like the Alaska ATV tour!! That sounds amazing. I will keep that in mind for later.

Hubby will probably get a guinea pig, as our son picked that present out!! LOL :D Although, I think that present is more for our son than for daddy!

Guest Username-Removed

I havent decided what I'm getting myself yet. I've been thinking of a bar-b-que for a while. Im still not sure whether to get a portable or a full size one. Hmmmm.

Guest Yediyd

I havent decided what I'm getting myself yet. I've been thinking of a bar-b-que for a while. Im still not sure whether to get a portable or a full size one. Hmmmm.

My kids always make me "Happy Fathers Day...Mom!, cards"

Go full sized. If you've got kids, you need the space on the grill for your steaks, hamburgers and hotdogs. You won't regret that. And get one with a side burner if you like to make your own sauces, and a side shelf to hold your (root?)beer. B)

That's pretty cute Yediyd. :)

Guest Yediyd

<div class='quotemain'>

Go full sized. If you've got kids, you need the space on the grill for your steaks, hamburgers and hotdogs. You won't regret that. And get one with a side burner if you like to make your own sauces, and a side shelf to hold your (root?)beer. B)

That's pretty cute Yediyd. :)

Thanks...it's kinda sad how it started, though. My son was FORCED to make a father's day card, even though he didn't want to....so, he made one for ME!!! I cried, because the card read: "Happy Father's Day, Mom"...then on the inside it said: "Thanks for taking me fishing."

His father promised to take him fishing and never did. So, I took him...and I HATE to fish!!!!!

They make father's day cards for me every year, now.

Guest mamacat

that's cute yedi. ^_^

my babe's grandparents came here from China a number of years ago. they showed him how to write his name in chinese. so he has decorated a father's day card for 'Ye Ye', the chinese appelation for the child's father's father (there are different names for relatives depending on the paternal/maternal side of the family -- paternal grandmother is NaNa.)

we found the chinese character for YeYe and he decorated his card with this ~

Posted Image

his father is more about assimilating into american culture, so we just decorated a card for him.

we picked out some gourmet chocolate for them....will attach the chocolate bars to the father's day cards. ^_^ -- lindt swiss milk chocolate with orange filling for YeYe, and whole pistachios in almond filling for babe's dad.

also, we ordered 2 books of mormon for the grandparents in mandarin. we will give them to the grandparents this weekend. our father's day will consist of going hiking with grandparents and ex-h in a beautiful nature preserve on a mountain, and eating a watermelon there. i think it will be great fun. the grandparents are fascinating people -- YeYe is a nuclear physicist (who studied in russia and france) and NaNa is a surgeon.....to them, their son, who has 2 master's degrees, is an underachiever. :rolleyes:

they are fine people too....they love us a lot, and i'm grateful to have them in our lives.

Guest mamacat

for the barbecue grill ~

Sesame-Grilled Tofu

2 pounds firm or extra-firm tofu

2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil

2 tablespoons canola oil

2 tablespoons mirin (sweet rice wine)

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1 to 3 teaspoons chili paste with garlic

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger

Wrap the tofu in a clean cotton kitchen towel. Place a heavy weight on top (such as a cutting board weighted with a heavy juice can). Set aside for at least 30 minutes to allow the excess water to drain from the tofu.

Combine the sesame oil, canola oil, mirin, soy sauce, chili paste, garlic and ginger, and mix well.

Slice each block of tofu lengthwise into 4 slices and brush on the marinade. Let marinate for at least 1 hour at room temperature or up to 8 hours in the refrigerator.

Prepare a medium-hot fire in the grill. Lightly oil the grill grate or a vegetable grill rack. Grill the tofu until browned and a slight crust forms, about 5 minutes on each side. Serve hot. Makes 4 servings.

mmmmmmm... ^_^

This recipe is adapted from "The Vegetarian Grill"

Guest Username-Removed

Note to self: Never order the book "The Vegetarian Grill" or bring up subject of Vegitarian cooking while watching UFC, NFL or NBA with guy friends. :wow:

Guest mamacat

veggie football players ~ Joe Namath, LSU running back Keiland Williams

Looks like a nice grill. And who needs a vegetarian diet? :blink:

well, if you're LDS, it's part of the wod of wisdom (except in times of famine).

"I have been a vegetarian for a few years. Fred Dryer of the Rams has been one for ten years. It shows you don't need meat to play football."

-Joe Namath, Legendary NFL Quarterback

I know it's tradition to get or give Father's Days gifts. I find it entertaining that seems to be the only thing people are talking about when it comes to Fathers Day. I myself am going to spend the day with my dad just being in his company and enjoying. With all his health problems I'm not sure how many Father's Days I have left. I am taking a suggestion of Strawberry's and writing a letter to him to let him know how much I respect and honor and love him. I think he would love something like that more than any trip to Alaska, bbq grill or anything. I am not putting down those gifts I'm just using them as an example. Those are wonderful gifts.

Guest Yediyd

<div class='quotemain'>

FWIW I don't like to go to church on father's day...but not for the reasons you have. It's hard on my kids and my heart breaks for them.

It's hard.

I wanna go...I wanna be normal

But I hate crying in front of people

You ARE normal...and crying is ok.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

FWIW I don't like to go to church on father's day...but not for the reasons you have. It's hard on my kids and my heart breaks for them.

It's hard.

I wanna go...I wanna be normal

But I hate crying in front of people

You ARE normal...and crying is ok.

That's just it..I'm not.

I don't have a dad, I don't have someone to hold hands with and brag about...My Best Friend is Missing.

I hate to Cry! It hurts and is draining...

Sometimes I feel like there's a giant hole in my chest that throbs at the mention of Dad.

It feels like I'm suffocating. Crying makes it worse...

Forgetting about the pain is easyer.