Question about inactivity and garments

I hope no one finds this post arrogant or condescending.  I have not had a time in my life that we sometimes call a time of inactivity.  I have had my times of doubt.  I have always been curious and I have on a number of occasions considered the possibility that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is not divinely led and uniquely separated from all other institutions – both religious and intellectual.   Even as I create this post there are many things the concern me but by in large I am amazed at the wonder of things and what the church offers.

I also have come to understand that there is a fascinating and wonderful symmetry between things physical and things spiritual.  Perhaps you have seen in many threads that I believe the spiritual and physical to be complementary rather than opposing or opposite.  The temple garment – to me is a wonderful example of spiritual and physical symmetry.   No doubt the garment is a physical object that has spiritual connections.  According to our covenants the garment is a shield and a protection.  Some wonder if the fabric is that much of a physical protection.  Obviously the fabric is not much protection of itself.  But when spiritually empowered – like the liahona - when the physical commitment is complemented with spiritual righteousness there exist (as I have experienced) a profound and realizable integration of both physical and spiritual protection.

I was taught and believe that the garment is both spiritually sacred and physically precious and should be treated and cared for – both while being worn and when removed for cleaning or being stored to be worn later.  And that we ought to often put on and renew ourselves with a fresh clean change in our garment as well with our personal hygiene.  We should clean ourselves up often and keep ourselves presentable – avoiding sloppiness – both physically and spiritually.  Such efforts, I believe make a difference both physically and spiritually.

I hope no one finds this post arrogant or condescending.  I have not had a time in my life that we sometimes call a time of inactivity.  I have had my times of doubt.  I have always been curious and I have on a number of occasions considered the possibility that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is not divinely led and uniquely separated from all other institutions – both religious and intellectual.   Even as I create this post there are many things the concern me but by in large I am amazed at the wonder of things and what the church offers.

I also have come to understand that there is a fascinating and wonderful symmetry between things physical and things spiritual.  Perhaps you have seen in many threads that I believe the spiritual and physical to be complementary rather than opposing or opposite.  The temple garment – to me is a wonderful example of spiritual and physical symmetry.   No doubt the garment is a physical object that has spiritual connections.  According to our covenants the garment is a shield and a protection.  Some wonder if the fabric is that much of a physical protection.  Obviously the fabric is not much protection of itself.  But when spiritually empowered – like the liahona - when the physical commitment is complemented with spiritual righteousness there exist (as I have experienced) a profound and realizable integration of both physical and spiritual protection.

I was taught and believe that the garment is both spiritually sacred and physically precious and should be treated and cared for – both while being worn and when removed for cleaning or being stored to be worn later.  And that we ought to often put on and renew ourselves with a fresh clean change in our garment as well with our personal hygiene.  We should clean ourselves up often and keep ourselves presentable – avoiding sloppiness – both physically and spiritually.  Such efforts, I believe make a difference both physically and spiritually.

Thanks for putting in words what I could not.

Off topic question: What classifies a person as inactive?

I think the classification for this varies and is somewhat subjective. A person who has to work every Sunday but is heavily involved in service, paying full tithing, etc., may not be considered truly inactive by their bishop (though they would be officially inactive per the system). Technically, however, inactive means they never come. If they show up at all they are partially active...even if it's only once a year or so. But if someone only showed up once a year, they'd pretty much be viewed as inactive, even though they were technically partially active.

I think it really is more of a degree of concern. Someone who misses once every three months or so because they take the day off of church to go golfing is a concern -- but perhaps less of a concern than someone who quit coming to church altogether.

A consideration of whether someone is active or not has to do with how we help them grow and achieve. It is not an overall judgment of value or spiritual quality -- expect perhaps in the case of a bishop or stake president's consideration of worthiness for callings or the like.

As for our own perception of our activity -- we should look at how involved we are at all levels (church attendance, callings, extra activities, service, etc.) and make our best effort to be fully active. This must be balanced against our lives and our families and our jobs, and we are to exercise wisdom therein, not walking faster than able, etc. But if we are fully capable of attending something that we simply do not because we just don't feel like it, we may well take stock of our activity level and work to lengthen our stride.

I wanted to reply to Lakumi's discussion regarding the spiritual versus the physical protection of the holy garment. The spiritual side is quite easy for many to see weather member or non-member. There are many religions that have a holy or sacred piece of clothing or cloth that they wear at times. Some will wear for particular prayers or ceremony or as we do in the LDS religion we wear them always with rare exceptions that are between the member and The Lord and this represents their personal commitment to follow the Savior Jesus Christ. The Physical seems to be a bit vague and there are many stories or reports of those who state that due to the wearing of the garment they were protected from physical harm, that is not church doctrine but I do not dispute anyone's claim to a happening of such. However the physical that this garment has as a protection becomes one of a physical reminder to the member of the covenants made. For example, it can become difficult to break one of the covenants we make in the temple if it requires us to remove that garment to do so. So this is one way in which a physical piece of clothing becomes an actual physical protection to our bodies and our spirits. I hope tis helps you understand a bit more and I would recommend that yo meet with current full time missionaries to discuss some of your other questions and then follow their council to pray to God the eternal father to know if the things they teach you are true.

No matter the period of inactivity or the reason for said inactivity a person should never remove the garment unless instructed to do so by a priesthood leader. The priesthood leader may after an appropriate council require the member to remove the garment until such a period of time passes and the member can be reinstated into full activity but again beating the dead horse here, if the garment has been removed it should be returned and ANY member of the church who has been endowed may go to a distribution center and purchase a new pair of garments.

No matter the period of inactivity or the reason for said inactivity a person should never remove the garment unless instructed to do so by a priesthood leader. 

I agree with everything that Paabes has said. Just want to clarify the above quote. 

The Priesthood Leader who instructs you to remove the garment, must have the authority bestowed upon him through the Keys of the Priesthood, and the stewardship over you. 

Example: Your Bishop/Branch President, Stake President, GA, Apostles, First Presidency, ONLY. 

I hope tis helps you understand a bit more and I would recommend that yo meet with current full time missionaries to discuss some of your other questions and then follow their council to pray to God the eternal father to know if the things they teach you are true.

Oh I've met with them plenty, I go to church when my mind feels up to it (as I said elsewhere, I can become extremely irrational and just simply get angry at nothing and will refuse to go somewhere, converting would ultimately in this point in life be a bad idea due to the very real chance I could get mad at something most people wouldn't even think of and just vanish)

I spared the missionaries all of my odd questions (like the tithing one), but dropping an irrational introvert, alone, into a social church, that's real hard.

So I sit at home and do my own reading and learning.

Oh I've met with them plenty, I go to church when my mind feels up to it (as I said elsewhere, I can become extremely irrational and just simply get angry at nothing and will refuse to go somewhere, converting would ultimately in this point in life be a bad idea due to the very real chance I could get mad at something most people wouldn't even think of and just vanish)

Lakumi, we just had this same exact thing happen to us last January.  We had an autistic young lady who had her baptism date set, complete with interview and everything.  We had her white jumpsuit all ready, the announcements made... and then 2 days before the baptism she got mad at something one of the missionaries said and she disappeared!  We have no clue what the missionary said, they were just talking about the baptism, and her face got red and she kicked them out.  We couldn't pinpoint anything because there was nothing controversial or "new" that they talked about..

Lakumi, we just had this same exact thing happen to us last January.  We had an autistic young lady who had her baptism date set, complete with interview and everything.  We had her white jumpsuit all ready, the announcements made... and then 2 days before the baptism she got mad at something one of the missionaries said and she disappeared!  We have no clue what the missionary said, they were just talking about the baptism, and her face got red and she kicked them out.  We couldn't pinpoint anything because there was nothing controversial or "new" that they talked about..

We're an irrational bunch, sometimes I don't even understand it myself.

But one must know ones self, and whatever she thought, be it real or embellished, she must have thought the church wasn't right for her.

Sure she could have told them a little nicer (I can't judge I said absolutely nothing) but that again, leads into the irrational thoughts people like me can have.

Hopefully the missionaries didn't take it personal.