What do you eat for breakfast?

Sunday21

Confession time: For breakfast my kids usually had cold cereal with milk. They would often have it for lunch, snacks, and dinner too. And, I let them. On days when I did not have the energy to fix anything, I was grateful they could fix themselves a bowl of cereal rather than go without.

Now that I have confessed, I also want to add that I do not feel a lot of guilt over this--some, but not a lot.

That's just perfectly fine!

My kids have been feeding themselves since they were little.  We have make-it-yourself meals a lot and they have free run of the food supply.  Sometimes I work through the night and sleep through their morning prep.  Or work through the day and sleep through dinner... that kind of stuff.

But they don't just eat cereal... they don't like the non-sugary ones and they only like sweet stuff sometimes.  They learned to smash a sandwich in the george foreman when they were about 6 years old... so they usually grab whatever deli meat we have, stack cheese on top, and add baby spinach for green (we always have baby spinach because my husbands eat that stuff like it's candy and my husband always says - you need something green on your sandwich)... and press it all down in the george foreman.  They eat this stuff all day long.  Now that they're 10 and 12, they would eat 3 at a time... for SNACK!  Then we got the Ninja Blender for Christmas and that thing is always whirring for something or other - the kids always have some fruit or other mixed in with whatever juice they decide on these single-serve blender jar... they just throw anything they can think of in there and add half a banana and it becomes a smoothie of some mysterious flavor (dunno why but boys have these wierd fascination for mysterious flavors)... The cool thing about the blender is they don't ever forget to wash the jar because they love putting soap in the thing to whir and make shaving cream suds...

And, you know what else is a constant in my house... FRUIT FLIES.  I can't get rid of them.  They're like our pets now - they're always there.  We always have these fresh fruit lying around and I get a lot of them from the Asian Market and I don't know why but those Asian Market fruit always comes with fruit flies... the boys go through the fruit basket like they're starved children, so we usually get new fruit every couple days or so... and I have a feeling that every couple days, we get new fruit fly tenants...

Do you know that my grocery bill has been going on over $300 a week the past few months???  For 2 boys, a husband, and me.  I don't eat that much!  These kids, I tell ya - I go through laundry soap like it's water - and those are not cheap... and they are bottomless pits... and fruit is not cheap either... well, the banana is, but everything else isn't.  And sliced bread is $2.79 if it's on sale, and they go through a bunch of that in a day... cheese is not cheap, and yogurt isn't either...  Even cereal is not cheap!  And have you seen the price of good deli meat?  My favorite London Broil is $13 a pound... I'm seriously thinking I need to ration these boys.

I want to know how much the Duggars spend on grocery...

That's just perfectly fine!

My kids have been feeding themselves since they were little.  We have make-it-yourself meals a lot and they have free run of the food supply.  Sometimes I work through the night and sleep through their morning prep.  Or work through the day and sleep through dinner... that kind of stuff.

But they don't just eat cereal... they don't like the non-sugary ones and they only like sweet stuff sometimes.  They learned to smash a sandwich in the george foreman when they were about 6 years old... so they usually grab whatever deli meat we have, stack cheese on top, and add baby spinach for green (we always have baby spinach because my husbands eat that stuff like it's candy and my husband always says - you need something green on your sandwich)... and press it all down in the george foreman.  They eat this stuff all day long.  Now that they're 10 and 12, they would eat 3 at a time... for SNACK!  Then we got the Ninja Blender for Christmas and that thing is always whirring for something or other - the kids always have some fruit or other mixed in with whatever juice they decide on these single-serve blender jar... they just throw anything they can think of in there and add half a banana and it becomes a smoothie of some mysterious flavor (dunno why but boys have these wierd fascination for mysterious flavors)... The cool thing about the blender is they don't ever forget to wash the jar because they love putting soap in the thing to whir and make shaving cream suds...

And, you know what else is a constant in my house... FRUIT FLIES.  I can't get rid of them.  They're like our pets now - they're always there.  We always have these fresh fruit lying around and I get a lot of them from the Asian Market and I don't know why but those Asian Market fruit always comes with fruit flies... the boys go through the fruit basket like they're starved children, so we usually get new fruit every couple days or so... and I have a feeling that every couple days, we get new fruit fly tenants...

Do you know that my grocery bill has been going on over $300 a week the past few months???  For 2 boys, a husband, and me.  I don't eat that much!  These kids, I tell ya - I go through laundry soap like it's water - and those are not cheap... and they are bottomless pits... and fruit is not cheap either... well, the banana is, but everything else isn't.  And sliced bread is $2.79 if it's on sale, and they go through a bunch of that in a day... cheese is not cheap, and yogurt isn't either...  Even cereal is not cheap!  And have you seen the price of good deli meat?  My favorite London Broil is $13 a pound... I'm seriously thinking I need to ration these boys.

I want to know how much the Duggars spend on grocery...

When my three older boys reached their teenage years it was as if they were bottomless pits.  We went through a lot of food!  Now, my youngest son, who just turned 20, isn't like that.  He eats, but he seems to graze rather than snarf down everything in sight.  My youngest also didn't have the same mom as the older kids.  I was in school full time when he was born, and then I went to work full time after I graduated.  I usually had night shifts, and he would have to get himself up, fix his own breakfast, and then get himself off to school on his own.  He did that from kindergarten onward.

We had banana pancakes for breakfast today.  Mashed overripe bananas, eggs, coconut flour, and almond milk with dark chocolate chips for pizzaz.  Low-carb breakfast.  But yes, you need your eyes wide open for this one, not only because of the griddle, but also because coconut flour is tricky... I have to add just a little bit at a time balanced with the milk to get it just right (otherwise it will be too thick and it is very difficult to thin it out).

Classylady! Boy, do I have a great share for you...

I got this thingamajig called Spiralizer yesterday and my kids love it! It has sharp blades but it is well protected that unless your kid likes poking his fingers into electric outlets even after being told not to, it can be quite safe for little hands...

I made zoodles with it (I have a veggetti so zoodles are common on our table) and it's pretty good with that, but the kids took over and tried out all the other blade attachments and now they're making all kinds of veggie stuff.... with whatever stuff I got on hand...

They made "fruit roll ups" out of beets... Made little petal-like shape out of butter squash and cucumbers and sweet potatoes, made noodles out of yellow squash, carrots, zucchini, and even apples!

And... Ate them all.... Most of them went out of the spiralizer and ended up in their stomachs before I can put it in a plate... Others like the squash and potatoes I stir fried with a bit of coconut oil.

So yea, kids are making their own stuff using this gadget... Even made their own breakfast with it...