Feeling Agitated.

Belmar75

Hello everyone. I am new to this site. I am so excited to have found such a site for advice and new friends. My husband and I are converts, 8 years now. We have been in our ward for the past 5 years and about 3 years ago we had a difficult turn in our life. I had given birth to a premature baby weighing 1 pound and 15 ounces. The past 3 years have been the hardest for us, which included the inability to attend church due to her many medical conditions.

Recently, we had a new bishop called in the ward. My husband and I have spoken to him several times regarding our daughter and other matters.

Here is my problem... Since the moment I met the bishop, I felt agitated. I am a strong willed individual but I get the feeling he is one as well. You know when you are just not going to get along with another. You feel that tension. I feel this when I talk to him. Like a child being talked down to. I know this is probably all me and I need to just get over it but I am having the most difficult time with it. It's even at the point where I wonder if this is the right path for me. Even reading the scriptures have lost their influence.

How does one cope?

when I moved to my new home my bishop and I had the same type of feelings towards eachother. He got the impression that I was strong willed and hard headed and I got the impression that he didn't like me nor did he approve of me. As time went on it became a severe problem that was leading to me stay away from ward activities and interview with him. Finally, I decided to talk to him about it and we had an interview where I expressed my feelings and he helped comfort me from my feelings. It was a really great interview, and we shared a prayer of hope and understanding for eachother and things have been great since. He even told me that he was able to improve with his ability as a bishop from the discussion. It was great for us, maybe you could try something similar.

Belmar75

Do I hear you!

My family has had a run in with a bishop who like you we know right away there were going to be conflicts.

We felt just like you and if not for a good friend who constantly reminded us it was our ward as well, when we felt like we were hanging on by our fingernails we might have left the church.

There became a real click in the ward (small ward) he was the head of. Those who did not fit (welt ado’s) and so on felt some how like the square peg in the round hole.

We felt scared as to our activity and constantly feeling angry. We felt spiritually ill.

We sold our house and moved to another ward 45 min away.

We meet with our new bishop and told him how ill we felt, it was the best move spiritually we made next to our endowments.

If you feel spiritually ill make changes that will heal you.

Remember the gospel is true but some of the people in it are still struggling with their own spirituality.

Hang in there,

ARK :dude:

Hi Belmar,

I've had similar problems. My youngest son was born two month premature at 23oz. The doctors at UVRMC are amazing in that he lives (he's 16 now). The problems he has had to deal with are huge. In 2002, my ex decided she needed a change and left. We haven't heard from her. So he has layered health and emotional issues because he thinks its his health/developemental problems that scared her away.

He is not very ill right now, but has been going to a speach therapist for years. Becuase we lived in South Korea for a number of years, the local High School keeps pressuring him to go to ESL classes even though he is a fluent English speaker and so all the kids treat him like he's some type of foreigner.

My ward has never been very open to us particullarly after I decided to quit my job at AMEX and returned to school even though I've never relied on church for assistance (the year supply has run very low however). I am active however (Robby doesn't have lung desease, but there was a period when the DRs wouldn't let him leave the house as a precaution so we couldn't always be active meeting goers) and love church even if I only have a few friends there and no calling.

I guess all I can say is hang in there. My bishop is nice, but a lot of the women in the RS have been a hassle (DCFS is so familiar with me and my family that they never come out to my house any more when one of my neighbors call, they just call or interview the kids in school to make sure I'm not beating them or starving them) and constantly complain that my kids need a real mother at home (I don't date--no time: school, work, kids, homework, wasted-time on the internet) to the bishop and stake president (I'm supposed to go to an over-30s single ward, but I refuse to until after Robby [the kid in question] goes on a mission). I don't fit in and so I get a lot of odd pressure from people who need to butt out or just grow up or find other hobbies (their own rotten kids).

Rob is a great kid just as your daughter is. Church is hard on people who have circumstances that turn them into the nail begging to be hammered into place. It is not The Church, but the people in it. I do not have a testimony based on the insulting, nosy, small-minded people in my ward, I have a testimony based on the witnesses I have received, the miricle of the goodness native to my children (even if they can be annoying--all teenagers [16, 17, 18]--they are exiciting, interesting, and fun--and all at a Ward Youth Conference), and the love I have felt from G-d and his S-n.

You'll make it! You have no choice. The problem with the Bishop is temporary, but the gospel will always be there.

Aaron the Ogre

Guest Yediyd

Aaron,

I hear you! I have a special needs son...I too, am single and don't date for the same reasons...I am too busy raising my kids to be bothered to look for a mate, and then I feel that my sons special needs would make it hard for a man to want to take on.

I figure that i will concentrate on getting my kids raised and if heavenly father has someone out there for me that he will see to it that we meet.

I too, feel like I don't fit in at my ward....There are few single mothers...in fact...I think I am the only one. Most are lifetime members and collage educated professionals, married with 5-7 kids, I am a low income, single mother of two who only went to one year of collage. As I stated in another thread...I have a very "red neck" background....that automatically deducts 100 IQ points when people hear about my history.

I love this gosple because it is true, not because I can be a part of some holier than thou club.

Unfortunatly...some people can be so heavenly minded that they are no Earthly good!!!!!!

Belmar,

Just a thought. Maybe the new bishop is going through a period of adjustment in his new calling. Maybe he is unsure of himself in personal meetings with the members. Maybe he doesn't think of himself as a good communicator. He doesn't seem to be someone you and your husband were friends with prior to your daughter's birth. Has he moved into the ward since then? He might have been struggling with trying to make a connection with you, trying to find out what your needs are. Give the guy a break. Make another appointment with him - the suggestion of having him over to your house was nice, I thought. Be honest with him and tell him you feel he doesn't appreciate or understand your circumstance, and ask what you can do to have him know your family better.

And I have a feeling it is a very good thing that you are a strong willed individual, because this little girl that Heavenly Father has blessed you with needs that strength in you, her best advocate.

• 2 weeks later...

his calling is of the inspiration of God. It was given by Christ to the Athoritys of the church in the temple and then he was offered the calling. He holds the mantle of bishop. you must put aside any personality problems and support him in his calling knowing that he is moved on by the Lord on your behalf and his advice should always be followed as if it came from the Lord. the end of subject. The one who has to bend is you.