Feeling Agitated.

Belmar75

Hello everyone. I am new to this site. I am so excited to have found such a site for advice and new friends. My husband and I are converts, 8 years now. We have been in our ward for the past 5 years and about 3 years ago we had a difficult turn in our life. I had given birth to a premature baby weighing 1 pound and 15 ounces. The past 3 years have been the hardest for us, which included the inability to attend church due to her many medical conditions.

Recently, we had a new bishop called in the ward. My husband and I have spoken to him several times regarding our daughter and other matters.

Here is my problem... Since the moment I met the bishop, I felt agitated. I am a strong willed individual but I get the feeling he is one as well. You know when you are just not going to get along with another. You feel that tension. I feel this when I talk to him. Like a child being talked down to. I know this is probably all me and I need to just get over it but I am having the most difficult time with it. It's even at the point where I wonder if this is the right path for me. Even reading the scriptures have lost their influence.

How does one cope?

I don't have any advice, but just to share that I feel similarly with my bishop. He scares me, on a personal basis. But I can report that I do believe the mantle is doing the trick -- that he has been helpful to me in my widowhood, and I have been blessed to continue my belief to honor priesthood leadership. But it does feel odd a lot. I take it as a learning opportunity. I think through his calling he has had the opportunity also to change his opinion of me, for whatever that is worth to he and I.

God bless, Belmar.

Hello everyone. I am new to this site. I am so excited to have found such a site for advice and new friends. My husband and I are converts, 8 years now. We have been in our ward for the past 5 years and about 3 years ago we had a difficult turn in our life. I had given birth to a premature baby weighing 1 pound and 15 ounces. The past 3 years have been the hardest for us, which included the inability to attend church due to her many medical conditions.

Recently, we had a new bishop called in the ward. My husband and I have spoken to him several times regarding our daughter and other matters.

Here is my problem... Since the moment I met the bishop, I felt agitated. I am a strong willed individual but I get the feeling he is one as well. You know when you are just not going to get along with another. You feel that tension. I feel this when I talk to him. Like a child being talked down to. I know this is probably all me and I need to just get over it but I am having the most difficult time with it. It's even at the point where I wonder if this is the right path for me. Even reading the scriptures have lost their influence.

How does one cope?

Fasting, Prayer, and Priesthood blessings

I would be willing to say that is a evil spirit trying to get you to find contention were there is not any.

:hmmm:

How does one cope?

I think you have to remember the most important things ....your salvation and the fact that Christ loves you more than you could ever know. Forgive your Bishop if he rubs you the wrong way and remember he was called of God.

I cope by simply remembering that ALL members of Christs church are not perfect, only working toward perfection with some at higher levels than others. Christ makes up the difference. Can you say you follow the commandments of the Lord better now than say 5 years ago?

Guest Username-Removed

My advice is let nothing stop you from going to church or being active. There is always something that tries to stop people, I have experienced it, and im sure many others do to. Look for the positive in people. Also, I'm not sure that first impressions are the best way to judge someone. I once had a first impression of my stake president while watching him talk at a ward conference. Turns out, he's just no good at public speaking! But you meet with that man one on one... he's unbelieveably spiritual!

How does one cope?

I find learning to respect a person helps - I am lucky right now I adore my branch president and get on very well with him. However the Stake President is a man who I will always have an interesting relationship with - however I do know the Lord called him, he is really good at being Stake President in fact I have to say he is the best I have ever met. And I find except when it comes to me lol I trust his judgement in many things. Same with my Relief Society President she is not the person I would have chose lol but I can see why the Lord did she is a very good Relief Society President.

The inability to pray, read scriptures and attend church through illness can have a devastating affect on your ability to worship and feel the spirit I tend to ask for pretty constant blessing when my illness has me right down

Charley

I think you have to remember the most important things ....your salvation and the fact that Christ loves you more than you could ever know. Forgive your Bishop if he rubs you the wrong way and remember he was called of God.

I cope by simply remembering that ALL members of Christs church are not perfect, only working toward perfection with some at higher levels than others. Christ makes up the difference. Can you say you follow the commandments of the Lord better now than say 5 years ago?

I agree. :)

I know this is what I have to work through. I just didn't know how common it was. Maybe the Bishop is just on the surface of my problem. To answer your question above, I have to say no. Since my daughter's birth, things have changed for us, especially me. I have always been the one who was strong in the gospel. I tried my hardest to stay the straight and narrow. My husband was the one who I had to remind and encourage. Now, it is gone.

You would think that since my daughter's birth, I would be full in the faith. She is a miracle child and I know without a doubt that the priesthood is powerful and that God has a plan for her. However, I struggle with everything related to church. We stop attending because I had to quit my job and my husband had to take on 3 jobs. I had to basically sleep at the hospital with my daughter for 3 months and my husband worked and came home to be with our son. When she came home she had to be homebound for 3 years, which brings us to today! I have kept my callings and done VT. I love my Relief Society President but in all honesty, no one from church helped. I take that back, our home teachers did come to give our daughter a blessing in the NICU.

For the past 3 years, our income took a hit but we have managed. Our daughter is still home and doctors feel she is starting to show signs of Cerebral Palsy. I was always the bread winner in our family but I couldn't leave my daughter's side. My husband and I have had to use the storehouse about 6 times in the past 3 years. I went to the bishop about all of this and asked for help using the storehouse, he made it seem that we were irresponsible for having to live paycheck to paycheck for the past 3 years. Which of course, makes me feel guilty for having to stay home with her.

My daughter sees 5 therapists for her developmental delays. She will always have a chronic lung disease but overall is doing quite well. She suffered from a Cardiopuolmonary Hemorrhage (blood fill lungs), Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia (abnormal cell growth in lungs), Bilateral Inraventricular Hemorrhage (2 brain bleeds), Retinopathy of Prematurity (blood vessels in retina ruptured) and Respiratory Distress Syndrome (damaged lung tissue).

Thanks for listening. It's tough talking to the walls and yes, I do pray quite a bit. My husband is always working but that's OK.. I know he is doing his best for us.

:) Belmar

Hi Belmar,

I'm really sorry to hear of the troubles you have had over the last three years, and hope that your daughter will not suffer too much as a result of her prematurity and cerebal palsy.

Have you considered having a pleasant chat with your Bishop, perhaps in your home where he can see the conditions under which you have had to live, and your daughter (unless he has already seen her in the chapel, of course), in which you could spend more time explaining your circumstances and how they have come about, and which might lead him to be more sympathetic to your situation, and a little more understanding of how you've had to live and support yourselves during this time?

Just a suggestion, I really hope that your Bishop does show some more understanding of your family and situation, and alters his apparent attitude to you!

Good Luck. :)

Have you considered having a pleasant chat with your Bishop, perhaps in your home where he can see the conditions under which you have had to live, and your daughter (unless he has already seen her in the chapel, of course), in which you could spend more time explaining your circumstances and how they have come about, and which might lead him to be more sympathetic to your situation, and a little more understanding of how you've had to live and support yourselves during this time?

Hi Belmar

I think this sounds like a great idea...

I personally have also had an issue with a Bishop of mine before.... Fortunitly for me I moved wards around that time too so my problem was solved

I don't think you should feel guilty for staying at home with your daughter... In my eyes that makes you a wonderful mother.. You are doing the best within your abilities & what your situation allows you to..

Hang in there :)

I can't even tell you how closely your story hit home! Before I married my husband we were told that it would be difficult for me to get pregant. Using the miracles of today's medicine we were able to get pregnant, only to lose the baby a few months in. Miraculously we were able to get pregnant again. About 2 1/2 months into my pregnancy I was put on bed rest. My body was fighting the pregancy like it was the plague. It kept on wanting to deliver early.

When I was 20 weeks along they finally started me on meds to fight the labor. At 26 weeks I dilated to a 6 and was life flighted to University of Utah Hospital. I stayed there for 2 months while they fighted to keep my son from being born.

I never hesitated to believe that he would be born at full term because a preisthood blessing said that he would be born at full term.

After my 2 months in the hospital I was allowed to return home with a medical transport. Finally at 38 weeks, my son Aaron was born. Because I had already been dilated to a 6 (once it raises it won't lower) my delivery was quite rushed. They gave me a shot for pain and shortly after he was delivered. The shot that they had given me pretty much knocked me out. I tried so hard to stay awake, but couldn't. Approximately an hour later I remember my husband holding my hand and gently telling me that Aaron wasn't completely whole and needed to be transported to Primary Children's Hospital (right next to U of U Hospital) via life flight. So once more we found ourselves in a hospital with more complications.

They have never been able to fully diagnose his problems. Here is where I learned my lesson.

While they were running every test ever known to mankind to try and figure out what was wrong, I was busy telling the Nurse Practitioner (he was in charge of ordering all the tests and whatnot) that one of the problems he was looking for would not exist in my child. How did I know this? His preisthood blessing said it wouldn't be there. I fought tooth and nail for this test not to be performed because it was quite invasive.

I remember sitting on a chair in the x-ray room with my wonderful and angelic Mother on one side and my husband with a reassuring hand on my back on my other side. I remember wearing the heavy apron that helps to eliminate exposure to x-rays and feeling like it was dragging me down as I watched 2 people tie my son to a board and then hold him down while he screamed and fought to be released while the doctor inserted a tube into his stomach to inject a radioactive dye. I remember wanting to just pick him up and run for home. The next few minutes were heartwrenching for me. I heard the doctor say, "Yup, he has it!" Meaning he had the exact problem that his blessing said he wouldn't have. I pounded my fists into my lap, sobbing uncontrolably and saying, "Why!?! WHY!?!!"

I am not proud of my next thought, but it has been where my testimony both floundered and then grew.

The very thought that entered my head was, "I can't believe that everything I've ever believed in my whole life has been a lie!"

I was sure that because this test had revealed a problem that the preisthood blessing was false and then so would be the power that it came from.

Within seconds, the doctor retracted her statement and said, "Nevermind, he doesn't have it. I misread it. He doesn't have an H-fistula!"

That very moment I knew I had sinned greatly in doubting my Heavenly Father. I knew there would need to be repentance.

Aaron has been given many blessings from the time of conception to his wonderfully rowdy and adorable days of now. One that was given when he was an infant was that some day he would be whole. I thought that day would take 15 or 20 years. He is 5 1/2 and will be whole within a few months when his feeding tube is removed.

I remember all the therapists that he saw. The hard work that he had to put forth to try and give him every opportunity to be healthy. It hurts when you see the struggles that your children have to endure.

I had a hard time with my Bishop when he would ask how Aaron was. I would tell him and then would feel that he didn't understand the gravity of what we were living through.

We too, have used the Bishop's storehouse. I felt quite often that he didn't want to say yes when we would ask for help. I felt withdrawn from him and the church when I was on bedrest for 56 weeks in less than 2 years for my son's pregnancy and my daughter's pregnancy (she was a gift from God! Even though the doctor's said no more babies for at least 3 years!) Heavenly Father knew she was needed earlier than that! LOL

I remember being on bed rest for about 3 months (with my daughter)before our Relief Society President inquired as to why we hadn't been to church? Were we choosing to be inactive? NO!

I remember my blessing with my daughter's pregnancy. It specifically stated that I was to obey my doctors and my blessings. The moment I chose to ignore or stretch the boundary, she would be born. At 35 weeks I was given permission for low mobility. That night my husband's family invited us to dinner. I went knowing I might be stretching the privlege. She was born the next morning.

Throughout the time that I was on bed rest for both pregnancies, the time that I had to spend at home with a child that wasn't ready to be around so many people and diseases and even regular illnesses, and then through another full pregnancy we were considered to be "inactive". I had butted heads with the Bishop before. It wasn't fun, I didn't relish knowing that I would be seeing him every time I went to church.

(Sorry about being so long winded.) Here's where I can say that I relate to you. If you for one moment let the feelings of frustration come between you and the leadership in your ward, you are handing the reins over to Satan. He will have control over your frustration and discouragement. PLEASE!!! DO NOT GIVE HIM YOUR POWER!

I know that humility is the answer here. You can wish all you want that your Bishop will understand. That is what feels like the ultimate solution here. (I know I'm being blunt, but I don't mean to hurt you.) The lesson that might need to be learned is to humble yourself. No matter how much we feel wronged, if we want to be able to forgive we need to have humility.

I know I don't have much myself. I'll always be under construction!

Just know that you are loved, even by people who only know you from a message board. Know that God trusted you so much He gave you a life that needed a strong, and willing mother to watch after her. She will need to see you with a testimony before she can have one herself.

I have a picture of my son in the NICU that looks much like yours. There is a great saying.... "I didn't say it would be easy. I only said it would be worth it!"

Don't give up on yourself, her, your family, and even on us. We need you!

Thnaks everyone for such great advice. I have been pondering and praying for an answer. I knew deep down that this was my problem that stemmed from me not anyone else. I have been feeling better about the situation but again..... I need to keep faith and hope alive.

Hikchick,

I am always amazed when I hear miracle stories of babies. I have such a hard time talking to people about my daughter because it really hit me hard. I have a 10 yr. old son and he was absolutely normal for the word go. Then, I have this little girl who beat the odds by living. I agree that I need to be more humble and not demand understanding, especially if they have never gone through this before. Do you still cry about what happened to your son? My daughter will be 3 yrs. old soon and I still cry about the whole situation. I remember it as if it was yesterday.

For those who are interested...let me share..

Katelyn was born 14 weeks early. I went into pre-term labor at 5.5 months due to extensive number of fibroids on my uterus. She was born weighing one pound, fifteen ounces and fourteen inches long. She was placed in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) on a mechanical respirator (ventilator), heart monitor and nasogastric tube. We were told that the survival rate was good but she would have a 90% chance of having Cerebral Palsy later in life.

The night of her birth, we were told that she wasn't going to make it because she had suffered a severe Cardiopulmonary Hemorrhage and a Bilateral Intraventricular Hemorrhage (stage 2), thus becoming Hypoxic (loss of oxygen to the brain and tissues). A Cardiopulmonary Hemorrhage is where your lungs fill with blood (thus interfering with gas exchange) and a Bilateral Intraventricular Hemorrhage is bleeding in the brain (in her case it was in both hemispheres). Michael and I immediately called our home teachers to give Katelyn a blessing. Both Brother Dowdy and Brother Stimpson came and stayed with Katelyn almost the entire night. By the next morning, she had miraculously recovered. She had four Neonatologists who were baffled by her recovery. Brother Dowdy became a regular at the NICU. They would let him back there to see her even when we weren't there, normally a no no but somehow the doctors knew he was a blessing to her.

As the weeks passed on Katelyn developed several conditions, Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia (BPD), Respiratory Distress Syndrome (RDS), and Retinopathy of Preaturity (ROP - stage 2). Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia (BPD) is barotrauma (chronic lung disease) from pressure ventilation. It involves abnormal development of lung tissue causing inflammation and scarring of the lungs. She will always have lung issues and BPD will eventually lead to Asthma and possibly Emphysema. Respiratory Distress Syndrome (RDS) is tissue damage to the lungs. Retinopathy of Maturity (ROP) is an abnormal growth of blood vessels within the retina (eyes). It results from high oxygen tension thus causing blood vessels to rupture. If not treated, usually by surgery, blindness occurs. RDS, ROP and BPD are from being on a mechanical ventilator/respirator for four months. Adding more frustration, On Aug 4, 2004 (3 weeks after her birth), Katelyn received someone else's breast milk while in the NICU. Since then she has had HIV and Hep testing every six months up until she was 2 years old. Now, the ROP resolved on it's own over the span of 6 months. She remains to have BPD, RDS and possible gray matter damage in the brain from the Bilateral Intraventricular Hemorrhage.

During her first two years of life, she was home bound. She couldn't have any contact with other children. Our son, Taylor, had to change his clothes and take a shower before he could hold or play with her. This is when I had to quit my job to be with her continuously. Michael had to take up 3 jobs. She was assigned an Early Intervention Therapist, Physical Therapist, Occupational Therapist and a Speech Therapist. She came home on oxygen and a heart monitor. She received Synagis injections each month to prevent Respiratory Syncytical Virus (RSV). Respiratory Syncytical Virus (RSV) is an infection that causes infection of the lungs and breathing passages. Premature babies are at risk in contracting this virus and unfortunately fatality soon follows. Her doctor and hospital appointments were made around office hours to avoid contact with others.

Each therapist focused on a certain part of Katelyn. When she came home, she had very high tone muscles (tight, frigid) in her cheeks, arms, hands and legs. At that moment, CP was quite evident but she was too young to be diagnosed. Each therapist worked with her every week. Today, 2.5 years later, she continues to see each one every week and has added a Swim Coach in conjunction with her Physical Therapy.. CP is not a progressive disease. It will never get worse but can get better. There is no cure for it. Today, Katelyn has surpassed everyone's expectations, even though she remains delayed. We were told that when she hit 3 years old, she would be on the same scale as every three year old child out there. In growth, she has done pretty good. She is at 60% in height but is 15% in weight for her age. She is considered underweight for her age but we know she eats as much as she can.

Here is where she has problems, gait (walking) and speech (language). Her gait is ok when she is walking slow. Her knees and ankles are bending and she can balance herself pretty good. When you walk or run, your hips are rotating in the opposite direction of the trunk of your body, meaning your left leg and right arm goes forward in sync and so forth. Your head remains still and you are balanced. When Katelyn walks fast or runs, her hips and trunk are stiff. She wobbles a little from side to side making her loose her balance. She falls down quite a bit. Also, she is walking on her tiptoes a lot. Most kids do this around 18 months of age....pretty much a phase. Katelyn, however, already went through this phase and now has reverted back. This all makes sense since she had severe high tone muscles when she was younger.

Speech has always been an issue because of the high tone muscles in her cheeks and arms. We had to massage her cheeks, shape her tongue and provide oral stimulation with a toy daily for several months. This has affected her ability to use utensils, which she continues to struggle with. She loves to eat but get frustrated that she can't feed herself with a fork or spoon. She uses her fingers quite a bit. This also has affected her speech. She can speak with perfect articulation, however she lacks the language and understanding directions. At 3 years old, she should have a vocabulary of 250 - 500 words, speaking 4-5 word sentences and understanding two to three step directions. Katelyn has a vocabulary of aprox. 50 words and speaks 2 word sentences (not consistently) and understands a few one step directions. She speaks a lot of jargon. She likes to talk but doesn't utilize words often. Her speech is that of an 18 - 24 month old. She has had several speech pathologist consults and they all say this is a clear sign of CP.

Hi Belmar

I'd like to relate something that happened to me while I served as a missionary. It's less personal than the good advice and input that others have already given -- but may be relevant in terms of the spiritual side of your relationship with your bishop.

During the first few months of my mission, two other missionaries in my district had bought into a stupid rumor that the mission president was skimming money out of the missionaries' support funds that were wired each month from SLC. We were in a foreign country where the monetary exchange rates fluctuated drastically from month to month and hyper inflation really hurt the local people financially.

Anyway, I had little respect for these two missionaries, not just because of their rumors, but also because of other ways in which they refused to keep the mission rules, etc. Nevertheless, their words began to weigh on me and I started to harbor doubts about my new mission president.

Not long after this, we were called to attend a multi-zone conference with probably 100 other missionaries. We traveled by bus for hours, then spent the entire day in training or working with the local missionaries. And here's the part that I really wanted to share.

I went into the conference with concerns about the mission president -- ideas in my head that true or not, would have definitely affected my relationship with him and my ability to accept his counsel. During part of our training, we all met in the chapel where the mission president's assistants were teaching from the front, using a large blackboard. The mission president sat in the front row observing and listening to our comments as the class went on.

As one of the assistants made some point, which I can not now recall, the mission president took the opportunity to stand from his seat and emphasize the point, adding his own perspective. As soon as he stood and began to speak, I felt the Holy Spirit in such power that I felt I might loose my strength like Lehi, and just be carried off into some vision or dream. It overwhelmed me somehow, and I had to concentrate to remain still and keep my breathing steady.

As soon as the mission president ceased speaking and sat down, the power subsided and I more or less returned to feeling normal. A little bit later, the mission president stood to speak again in the same way he had before. Immediately, the same power overcame me and I knew that he had been called of God and that my previous concerns or doubts were not relevant in any way to my relationship with him.

As I write about this experience, I feel in a small measure a similar feeling and am reminded that he was called of God. I believe the same principle applies to our Bishops and any leader called by revelation and the laying on of hands. It's been over 16 years now since I had that experience, and I can still feel it inside when I recall it.

Final comment. Our leaders our imperfect men and women. I have been a leader more than once in various callings and I know only too well how imperfect I am. We shouldn't let this stand in our way of respecting the priesthood through which our callings come. And this knowledge should inspire us to patience and mercy as we deal with others who are responsible in many ways for OUR spiritual nurture and wellbeing.

That's all. :)

Thank you for sharing your experience with your daughter. I can relate to the pain this has brought to you, although my experience is fairly said to be on a very different scale. My elementary-school-aged son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and hypothyroidism last year and is currently undergoing test because of probable celiac disease. These are all auto immune disorders and the first and last profoundly affect one's life. Without proper and constant medical care and life-long self discipline, they lead to blindness, heart disease, liver and kidney failure, loss of limbs, high rates of lymphoma (cancer) and lots of other problems that will significantly shorten one's life.

When I called my wife from the doctors office with the news, she started crying on the phone. You have to be strong, keep smiling, brave, hopeful, grateful. Every moment together is a blessing. And the little ones need to see strength and hope in your face so that they can feel safe and know that everything will be okay.

All these experiences are for his good, your daughter's good, our good, and will bring added glory in the end to all of us. I am sure you know how this has made you grow, perhaps more humble, more grateful for the little moments, more reliant upon the Lord.

And the big picture shows us that it's all a blessing, its okay both now and in the end. Christ has overcome all of this and so we are blessed to struggle for our sakes and we can't deny another their struggle and the blessings and glory it means to them and their Heavenly Father (even if it breaks our hearts).

Guest Yediyd

Autism is draining and difficult.

This is true...my son still "poops" his pants every day (encomprecess) Refuses to wear a diaper..and won't admit he has had another "accident" I have to fight him into the tub sometimes up to four times a day. Just did three loads of laundry...ALL his, because I have to wash his bedding every day, too. He's incontinate at night...My daughter too, is a bed wetter. I live in an apartment, so I go threw ALOT of quarters doing laundry EVERY DAY!!!!! :wacko:

The hardest thing for me right now is the inability to reason with him, and his violent temper. He is 13 and already 3 inches taller than me....it scares me. :(

Thanks for ackowledging that, Dr. T :)

Guest Yediyd

It is scary Yed. Prayers for your fortitude and grace (for both you and him).

Thank you, much appreciated, The Lord keeps me strong...This site has helped, believe it or not...I don't feel so alone and picking on you keeps my spirits up..... :P