Jesus Was Called Trailer Trash

Traveler

Guest Yediyd
<div class='quotemain'>

...who condemned my use of "trailer trash"...

Sorry dude,

I'm pretty TT myself, I didn't mean it as an attack.

Aaron the Ogre :blush:

you're tt and you're single? Yediyd flashes Ogre a toothless grin!!!! :sparklygrin:

Oops!! sorry, I know...I promised...no more taxes!!....er..um...I mean tt, "Billery" quips!!!!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda hard to picture Jesus in a NASCAR hat and tank top being put into the back of a police car while saying, "Can I at least finish my beer?", while a woman in a tube top leans out the trailer door with a cigarette in her mouth yelling "Throw his butt in JAIL!!"

:lol::lol:

:roflmbo:

I just about fell over. I can just see Foxworthy and crew doing that!

And "Cops" like someone already pointed out.

And on "Cops" why is it that 90% of the people they arrest have no shirts on! :dontknow:

BTW, CK, I too was confused by Emma's apparent glee at the joke. I loved it, because a lot of Southerners are the first to make fun of that behavior as well, even though they know they are being stereotyped that way (because there are a lot of them like that!). But I thought that we weren't allowed to acknowledge that "Billaries" and "people that ###### at the gov't's teat living off of the efforts of others when they could easily work somewhere but feel they are too good to work at McD's" exist.

Also, I'll have to disagree on the rib cutters though. They were actually "pointless"...

Guest Emma Hale Smith

Emma went to work on sixpack and me with those rib-cutters that coroners use to perform autopsies. :ph34r:

You're big guys, you can handle it.

Emma

:deadhorse:Die you stupid dead horse,,,Die!!!!!!

hahahahaha

Good one Yed.

<div class='quotemain'>Emma went to work on sixpack and me with those rib-cutters that coroners use to perform autopsies. :ph34r:

You're big guys, you can handle it.

Emma

Emma,

You callin' me fat? :blink: You know, "big" is code for "fat".

(yed: there's a bearded ogre somewhere in orem ut enjoying a chuckle while eating wal-mart raviolli straight from the can--kids're camping up to farfield canyon teachin' the city kids the finer arts of snipe huntin', craw-fish catchin', and cow-tippin')

One of things I'm studying right now in school and might pursue further in grad school (if I go) is identity politics. In the academy, the scholarship focuses mostly on gender-studies, but many people are looking at the labels that are pasted on others involuntarily. An example is the term, "Mormon." I hate the word and cringe when some professor rants on about Mormons this and Mormons that. I consider it a form of hate speech.

Now this is when being pc is annoying but often critically important. Naming or labeling is dangerous unless one agrees with the label. I enjoy the labels "Latter-day Saint", "Utah Jazz Fan", and "English Major" ("Ogre", "Werd-nerd" and "Dip-stick" are terms I have never minded in the past) even though these terms often carry a lot of negative weight.

This is when CK is wrong in denying the power of comparing the N-word and being TT. It is an amazingly negative term. When my dad retired from the military (his last duty station was Ft. Sill/Lawton, OK where there are thousands of trailer parks—interestingly enough, lots of tornados too) and returned to Provo. The ward we moved into was 50% in a trailer-park (the bishop, the high-priest group leader, and the elder’s quorum president and most of the other ward leaders lived in the Imperial Trailer Park on 500n in Provo). We lived in a house and many of the members thought we were snobs (even though many of their trailers--particularly the double-wides--were in better repair and of more value). Many of the members of this ward were the type portrayed on COPS, but most of them had gone through the repentance process and left their pasts behind them even if they still sat on lawn-chairs in the middle of the road drinking Sprite or Lemon-aid, wore trucker-hats and flannel shirts with the sleeves cut-off exposing their garments while watching the bug-zapper kill off the invaders from the Provo River.

This ward was a challenge and some of the people who still live there are feeling even more encroached upon as there are a few modern developments near by and the many BYU newly-weds with rich parents who often feel it was their jobs to teach this obviously backwards ward to operate further exposing the cultural gap between their blue-collar and the more affluent people who now live in their ward boundaries.

Labeling is often done without thought or insult (this is where CK, 6pack and others are), but those who do not like to be defined by those labels will be hurt.

Regarding the political conversation, I agree regarding the entitlement attitude some people have (whether they siphon off the government, charity, or the church), but these folks cannot be defined by labels or socio-economic status rather the avenues they have for acquiring money without work or merit need to be identified. Tightening up these avenues should be the topic of conversation rather then the personal-identity or cultural-identity of the people who seem to abusing the system the most.

Now, I'm not innocent. Everyone has this problem, but not labeling or casting one into a preconceived notion of social status needs to be done away within the church and it would be nice if the rest of the world did the same as well (though this wish is more like "whistling past the graveyard").

I think Foxworthy says something like: "You can't make fun of red-necks unless you are one and I are one."

I saw that on the Blue-Collar comedy tour DVD (boy that Cable-dude is dirty) and so much of that show hit close to home (especially Bill Engval's dogs in the bedroom scenario).

<div class='quotemain'>

I think Foxworthy says something like: "You can't make fun of red-necks unless you are one and I are one."

I saw that on the Blue-Collar comedy tour DVD (boy that Cable-dude is dirty) and so much of that show hit close to home (especially Bill Engval's dogs in the bedroom scenario).

Yeah, Larry the Cable guy doesn't do it for me. And Engval is okay, but I love Foxworthy and Ron White. The "tater salad" bit was great!

Guest Yediyd

Hmmm now it's "the ogre" Yediyd. Sheesh make up your mind which guy you are going to flirt with. :sparklygrin:

I'm gonna just keep flirtin' till one of 'um takes!!! :P

Guest Yediyd
<div class='quotemain'>

Betcha' saved some of that ravioli in yer beard for later, too...didn't ya?

As a matter of fact, there are a few bits. Mmmmmm yummy. LOL!!!

All kidding and flirting aside...you remind me of my brother!!!

(the one I speak to)

Guest Emma Hale Smith

This is when CK is wrong in denying the power of comparing the N-word and being TT. It is an amazingly negative term.

I am so glad someone spoke up for this. It is, IMO a perfect analogy, despite CK's being so offended, and I'm not saying it just because I came up with it.

I have to say, I'm a little confused. When I wrote it eight people wrote posts after mine, but none spoke in support of it, so I felt as if I had none. I must admit I felt a bit abandoned. It's been me against two, and sometimes more, extremely antagonistic foes for days and days, and I have gotten virtually no positive feedback. My conclusions is that no one agrees with me, and so of course it is perfectly fine they don't write in support of me.

But here you write essentially the same thing I did, which I am absolutely ecstatic about, honestly, and a number of people write you supportive posts, which you obviously deserve.

Do I sound jealous? Of course I am. I admit it. :)

I'm also confused.

And very glad people agreed with you.

Labeling is often done without thought or insult (this is where CK, 6pack and others are), but those who do not like to be defined by those labels will be hurt.

Again, I've probably written a gazillion characters and can't seem to get these two to comprehend this. And while people are going to be angry at me for keeping this up, I feel I must point out, the labeling has not been without insult, especially Six's remarks where he has said:

"the scenarios of those that DON'T abuse are far, far fewer than those welfare queens that keep breeding and taking money they did nothing to earn...," and

"They are on welfare, their mommas were on welfare, and their grandmammas were on welfare."

These are not benign remarks--they are full of insult and degradation. Maybe with someone besides "emotional," "dismissable" Emma saying the same thing, it will finally sink in.

Regarding the political conversation, I agree regarding the entitlement attitude some people have (whether they siphon off the government, charity, or the church), but these folks cannot be defined by labels or socio-economic status rather the avenues they have for acquiring money without work or merit need to be identified. Tightening up these avenues should be the topic of conversation rather then the personal-identity or cultural-identity of the people who seem to abusing the system the most.

I have not said this as well as you, though I have tried and tried and tried. Bravo!

Emma

"the scenarios of those that DON'T abuse are far, far fewer than those welfare queens that keep breeding and taking money they did nothing to earn...," and

"They are on welfare, their mommas were on welfare, and their grandmammas were on welfare."

Emma,

The other problem in thinking in these terms is who are the missionaries teaching when they serve in areas like the Bronx, Washington D.C., Hampton VA (I was in the military near there), Chigago, or other parts of the nation where the number of people on state support out number those not?

The gospel is for them as well isn't it. If they are met by hatred or these types of labels, how are they going to feel about the church?

We need to support self-sufficiency, but not hatred. President Hinkley discussed this very type hatred in confrence priesthood session not too long ago. This kind of language and the differentiation between members and investigators based on socio-economic terms needs to end. If these terms are faddish, for example if they buzz-words coming from Hannity or Coulter, then maybe these voices are as inspirational as listening to Slip-knot, Korn, and Metallica.

Aaron the Ogre

This is when CK is wrong in denying the power of comparing the N-word and being TT...not labeling or casting one into a preconceived notion of social status needs to be done away...

OKAY, LISTEN UP BECAUSE I'M GETTING TIRED OF SAYING THE SAME DANG THING OVER AND OVER.

I FREAKIN' DEFINED "TRAILER TRASH" TO REFER TO AN ATTITUDE...A FREAKIN' ATTITUDE...ARE YOU LISTENING? I DEFINED IT TO MEAN AN ATTITUDE OF LAZINESS. I FREAKIN' DEFINED IT IN THE CONTEXT OF MY POST, CLEARLY EXPLAINING WHAT I MEANT.

I DID NOT USE IT TO REFER TO SOCIAL STATUS AT ALL!!! I CLEARLY SAID I DID NOT USE IT TO REFER TO WHERE YOU LIVE, WHERE YOU WERE RAISED, WHAT KIND OF STRUCTURE YOU LIVE IN, HOW MUCH MONEY YOU MAKE, ETC...

I DO NOT CALL PEOPLE "TRAILER TRASH." I DIDN'T CALL THEM THAT ON MY MISSION. I DON'T HATE THEM. I DON'T JUDGE PEOPLE BASED ON THEIR SOCIAL STATUS. I JUDGE PEOPLE BASED ON THEIR CHARACTER--IF I KNOW WHAT THAT IS--AND I'VE KNOWN POOR AND RICH PEOPLE WHO ARE LAZY, SO WHEN I SAY "TRAILER TRASH" I'M TALKING JUST ABOUT ATTITUDE, NOT ABOUT SOMEONE'S CASHFLOW OR LACK THEREOF.

SOMEONE GIVE ME A GUN AND TWO BULLETS: ONE FOR THE GUY WHO INVENTED THE TERM "TRAILER TRASH," ONE FOR ME. THIS DISCUSSION IS DRIVING ME NUTS. IT'S TOTALLY THE RESTAURANT SCENE ALL OVER. I DON'T WANT SEAFOOD. I WANT STEAK. I DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL. I WANT WATER!

DO NOT INJECT YOUR DEFINITION OF "TRALER TRASH" INTO MY POST AND MY CONTEXT...I EXPLAINED WHAT I MEANT SO THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE FOR EVERYONE TO KEEP HARPING ABOUT SOCIAL CLASS AND INSULTING PEOPLE'S BACKGROUNDS, RACE OR UPBRINGING!!!

IT IS ABOUT ATTITUDE...ABOUT LAZINESS...DROP THE "IT'S INSULTING" CRAP BECAUSE IT'S CALLING A LAZY PERSON LAZY, NOTHING MORE. I SAID THAT AND I'VE SAID THAT CONSISTENTLY SO YEAH, YOU'RE WRONG, EMMA'S WRONG, I'M RIGHT, MY USE OF THE TERM "TRAILER TRASH" IS NOT COMPARABLE TO CALLING A BLACK GUY A NIGGER IF ANYONE WOULD TAKE THE TIME TO READ MY POSTS AND PAY ATTENTION TO HOW I DEFINED "TRAILER TRASH."

IF MY DEFINITION DOESN'T MATCH YOURS, FINE, BUT FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD AND HOLY, STOP ACTING LIKE I MEAN WHAT YOU MEAN OR I DEFINE "TRAILER TRASH" HOW YOU DO, BECAUSE I DON'T MEAN WHAT YOU MEAN, I DON'T DEFINE THE TERM HOW YOU DO, AND I'M NOT INSULTING ANYONE.

p.s. I live in a "hick town" and whenever people find out where I live, they assume I was raised here, go cow-tippin' for fun, and have first cousins for parents. I know what it feels like, and you know what? I don't care. Once someone hangs out with me, talks to me, sees what I know then they know I'm not a dimwit.

…if my definition doesn’t match yours, fine, but for the love of all that is good and holy, stop acting like I mean what you mean or I define “trailer trash” how you do, because I don’t mean what you mean, I don’t define the term how you do, and I’m not insulting anyone...

6pak,

n'K

Perceptions are everything when it comes to politics. You are not being insulting? I believe you, but does that mean people are not being hurt? Of course not.

Don't worry about it. I think there is consensus regarding the content, but not so much on the terminology. It is merely a matter of semantics. Do you want to debate? Great. Do it. Don't do exactly what the people you politically distrust do on a regular basis. Don't you remember the "right wing conspiracy" bit Hillary went on about? It is no different.

I'm not insulted (BTW, Emma's comparison of the N-word and TT were right on in my mind even if it wasn't in yours, but like I said, don't worry about it).

Aaron the Ogre