Fell way behind with tithing this year. Now what?

Lilac

This would have been my advice if it was my place to give such advice (which it is not, but since the bishop di (who's place it is)). Don't pay back old tithing. That's not the point. But starting now, never fall behind again. Ever. And, voila! You're a full tithe payer starting now.

I'm not saying whether or not I agree but whenever I see this line of thinking, I always hope people who read this later don't use it as an excuse to not do everything they can to pay 10% 100% of the time.  Just throwing that out there.

Edited by notquiteperfect

I'm not saying whether or not I agree but whenever I see this line of thinking, I always hope people who read this later don't use it as an excuse to do everything they can to pay 10% 100% of the time.  Just throwing that out there.

I agree 100%. Thank you. 

edit: mind you, I didn't say anything until the bishop had recommended the action, because it would be inappropriate to teach this as a course for everyone. But certainly it is appropriate for some. Like someone who's been inactive for 10 years or so. No one would expect them to pay back that 10 years of tithing before they were considered a full tithe payer. No. Come back to church, and start paying tithing.

Moreover, it should be added, a declaration of "full" at tithing settlement is a declaration for the year. If someone started paying tithing in Dec on their income, it would be inaccurate and inappropriate to declare oneself a full tithe payer no matter the current commitment moving forward.

From a moral/worthy stand point, it's somewhat like any repentance. How long do we have to go without any given sin before we're considered clean? A day? A week? A year? Ten years? Ultimately, that is between us, our bishops who have the keys, and God.

As far as a literal declaration for the year...it's pretty black and white. You either paid 10% or you didn't.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

I think it is a bad Idea to plan to disobey the commandments. (Tithing is a commandment).  I think it will come back to bite you. (if it has not already).

That being said you are an agent unto yourself and it is your choice.  I am not going to further rehash what the others have posted on the subject.

While I don't agree with your plan, it is yours to make, I do have a idea to work with your plan.  You say you could pay 5% in 2015.  Why don't you save the 5% from the first 6 months of 2015 and add it to the 5% of the last six months of 2015.  This puts you as a full tithe payer 6 months earlier then your current outlined plan, and presumably still works within what you outlined for us

I realize that I am not temple worthy because I do not pay a FULL TITHE, I am willing to try and pay 5% instead of 10% in 2015, will this qualify me to be temple worthy? If not then I dont see a point in paying 5%.

Your 5% plan might be a reasonable option to contemplate, but to be totally honest with you I think you're viewing this as if it were a repayment scheme for back taxes to the IRS instead of a spiritual practice that helps you directly.

You should aim to pay 10% each month (or pay period, or whatever interval makes sense for you).  If money is tight one month and you come in under 10%, record the shortfall somewhere and commit to repaying it as soon as you can, even if it takes months.  But to plan for that shortfall with exact numbers that you fix in advance seems to me to miss the whole point of tithing.

Paying a tithe is not like shopping or paying rent on an apartment.  You aren't buying merchandise with it, and you aren't settling some debt.  You are setting aside the fruits of your labors to build the kingdom.  The act of setting aside a tiny fraction of your income will force you to re-examine how you spend the rest of your income and to spend it wisely and honorably.  I'm not suggesting that you give until it hurts, but I am suggesting that you give until you feel it.  Otherwise it's like taking a prescription drug below the dosage level that has any noticeable effect.

As you may have read from previous posts, I am currently inactive LDS but am thinking hard about returning.  (It's a long story.)  A while back I started setting aside 10% of my profit (I am self-employed) to use for paying my tithe if/when I rejoin, so I hope I am practicing what I preach here.

Your question is difficult, and many have walked in your shoes.  I hope all the comments from everyone have given you some useful ideas.

You should aim to pay 10% each month (or pay period, or whatever interval makes sense for you).  If money is tight one month and you come in under 10%, record the shortfall somewhere and commit to repaying it as soon as you can, even if it takes months.  

I disagree with this. Pay your tithing first, foremost, and in full, every month. Period.

didnt want to create a whole new thread but wanted to ask a similar question about tithing.

I have some depths that i need to pay off and therefore I did not pay tithing at all in 2014. I plan to continue this for 2015 and hopefully go back to being a full tithe payer in 2016.

I realize that I am not temple worthy because I do not pay a FULL TITHE, I am willing to try and pay 5% instead of 10% in 2015, will this qualify me to be temple worthy? If not then I dont see a point in paying 5%.

It seems as though its all or nothing. You are either a full 10% tithe payer or you are not. Does the Lord bless someone for only paying 5% as opposed to someone that pays 0%

any thoughts?

I just have to jump in here.  You clearly don't understand how tithing works:

Malachi 3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

fwiw - My parents struggled to make ends meet for the first 25 years of their marriage but they were always full tithe payers. Their tithing didn't change the financial situation at the time but all of us stayed pretty healthy, there was always work for my dad, a deer at every hunt, etc.  My husband and I have also seen the blessings of making tithing a priority so I'd encourage you to reconsider your misguided plan and test the above scripture for yourself.

I think it useful to quote the preceding verses in Malachi 3 as well

8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.

We should be thinking of not paying a full tithing as robbing God. He asks for 10%. Only paying 5% is robbing Him of 5%. Should we expect Him to bless us for robbing Him?

It's worth consideration.

Oh, one more:

3 Nephi 13:30-33

30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, even so will he clothe you, if ye are not of little faith.

31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

32 For your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you.