The Hamburger

A Burger Plea: Keep It Real

The hamburger has been around for at least a century, but its exact origins are a little hazy. But maybe we can all agree on what makes a real burger.

By Robin Kleven Dishon for MSN City Guides

I did a search on the word “hamburger” and got approximately 47 million results.

Paris Hilton, on the other hand, only returned 11.3 million.

What can we infer from this? That we as a people like hamburgers four times as much as we like Ms. Hilton? Or, that we are four times more interested in hamburgers?

Perhaps it's simply that the American hamburger has been around approximately four times as long. Paris Hilton is 26. The hamburger, according to many food historians, is approximately 104. That must be it.

Of course, the history of the American hamburger is not definitive, relying on speculation, regionalism and the occasional forged menu. Many a town has laid claim to serving the original hamburger. Two of the more credible claimants are Athens, Texas, and New Haven, Connecticut. (The original original is attributed to Hamburg, Germany.)

The cheeseburger, according to Wikipedia, was born in Pasadena, but there’s plenty of argument about that too. Hamburger lovers are a contentious bunch.

Coincidentally, the hamburger has much more in common with its customary platemate, the French fry, than you might think. During World War I, widespread anti-German sentiment in the U.S. caused the hamburger to be re-named the “Salisbury Steak.”

Anyone remember Freedom Fries?

Amateur sleuthing and political references aside, our collective fascination with chopped beef patties is ongoing. How else could McDonald’s have sold so many billions that they had to give up counting?

The Real Deal

And those were fast-food burgers being tallied, mass-produced identical hamburger units, not what yours truly calls The Real Deal.

The Real Deal of hamburgers is all beef and proud of it. Hand-formed, no two alike. Never turkey, much less tofu, and certainly not tempeh.

The Real Deal of hamburgers is not a snob. It can show up anywhere from a backroads lunch counter to a luxury resort, which is part of the thrill of the hunt. It may be decorated simply with a slice of ripe tomato or red onion, or decadently with a morsel of foie gras. A few grains of fleur de sel are a lovely garnish, if you’re not watching your sodium intake. Ketchup is acceptable if you are under 10 years old.

Regardless of the venue and the price, the Real Deal must be the size and shape of a gently flattened softball. Grilled or seared, the finely-minced meat must consist of tiny individual nuggets of prime-quality beef that explode in your mouth like juicy, exuberant fireworks. It must grab your attention from first bite and leave you satisfyingly sated, almost drowsy with joy.

Of course, it must be served rare for optimum flavor and texture, although the faint of heart (not to mention the United States Department of Agriculture) recommend cooking to an internal temperature of 160 degrees.

Where we’re from, we call that particle board.

Robin Kleven Dishon has been a professional restaurant, food, wine and travel writer since 1986. She has written for a variety of print and online publications, including Elle, the Los Angeles Times, San Diego Magazine and numerous travel guidebooks.

http://cityguides.msn.com/citylife/article...1&GT1=10167

With Summertime being upon us I was thinking we need to spice up our hamburgers at our house. What is that that you like to do for your hamburgers or your hamburger meal?

A Burger Plea: Keep It Real

. . . . must consist of tiny individual nuggets of prime-quality beef that explode in your mouth like juicy, exuberant fireworks. It must grab your attention from first bite and leave you satisfyingly sated, almost drowsy with joy.

Oh my, I think the earth just moved.! :P

I am so weird. I am not a red meat eater. I would always prefere chicken or fish over a steak. I cannot stomach looking at Prime Rib. When I was married I would always poistion my menu so that it hid his plate full of huge, blood dripping, raw pieces of flesh. I seriously could not look at it.

However, all that squemishness goes right out the window when it comes to a hanbuger. I love them, and am even thinking about them right now at 5 in the morning I could eat one.

Makes no sense to me, but there you have it.

Elphie

Count me in as a burger lover as well... yum! I like to eat them in the dark, I will eat them in the park, I would eat them with a lark...

Spencer (whom some of you here may know) brought his kids over one day for a cookout, and he supplied the meat. He also brought some ranch dressing mix - the powder - and we mixed it in before grilling. THOSE were some good burgers!

I only fix them that way from now on.

Count me in as a burger lover as well... yum! I like to eat them in the dark, I will eat them in the park, I would eat them with a lark...

Spencer (whom some of you here may know) brought his kids over one day for a cookout, and he supplied the meat. He also brought some ranch dressing mix - the powder - and we mixed it in before grilling. THOSE were some good burgers!

I only fix them that way from now on.

Awww Spencer Buddy. He was a wonderful guy... I think he probably is still right? How are they doing?

That sounds like a wonderful way to make em.

I love mushrooms! I was thinking of doing a special treat this weekend and making our hamburgers with some mushrooms and that cheese like Wendys does. I am just not sure which kind they use. :hmmm:

I love burgers. I have to have one at least once a week for dinner. Cooked on a grill are my favorite. All this talk about burgers and pizza is making me hungry.

Please don't start a subject on chocolate. I am trying to say no to chocolate. It's my weakness. My husband came home this week with a huge bag of Hershey's Nuggets. I wish I could have hid them from myself.

Anyway, why is it as a child, I wanted cheese on my burgers, but I don't like cheese on my burgers now. It's funny how your taste changes.

Shan, have you ever tried onion soup mix. Any brand will work - or vegetable soup mix. If I am using extremely lean hamburger, then I will add some tomato juice or catsup along with the soup mix. Helps to hydrate the vegies in it.

I also poke a hole in the middle of the burger with my finger, then cook it. This gets the middle cooked at the same time as the outer part without drying out the outer part of the burger. The hole disappears as it cooks, pretty much anyway. Posted Image

DrT, I love In n Out and WhatABurger!

Oh, there are so many delicious burgers out there. You could eat a different variation very day and never get caught up in a year.

As for using Heinz 57, it was great on the burgers that we grilled that were rolled in a spicy rub. The rub causes the burger to have a crispier outside and more moist inside and not so dried out.

I have had burgers with onion & mushroom gravy and they are so good. Sometimes we add a slice of swiss.

I do have a problem finding good hamburger buns and hot dog buns for that matter. The average buns are too small and poor quality, sticking together and the bottoms sliced too thin. The hot dog buns will not pull apart and opening them is pure luck. The better brands are usually pricey and stale from lack of sale.

I have found some good products at the bakery outlets.

Yes, it makes me hungry. Now I want a burger, tossed salad, fries, watermelon/cantaloupe, and some ice cream. Make that a rootbeer float!

Oh, there are so many delicious burgers out there. You could eat a different variation very day and never get caught up in a year.

As for using Heinz 57, it was great on the burgers that we grilled that were rolled in a spicy rub. The rub causes the burger to have a crispier outside and more moist inside and not so dried out.

I have had burgers with onion & mushroom gravy and they are so good. Sometimes we add a slice of swiss.

I do have a problem finding good hamburger buns and hot dog buns for that matter. The average buns are too small and poor quality, sticking together and the bottoms sliced too thin. The hot dog buns will not pull apart and opening them is pure luck. The better brands are usually pricey and stale from lack of sale.

Yes, it makes me hungry. Now I want a burger, tossed salad, fries, watermelon/cantaloupe, and some ice cream. Make that a rootbeer float!

I am not much of a bread eater.....but I would prefer to have mine without a bun.......thats just me....LOL!!!

Guest Yediyd
<div class='quotemain'>

I am not much of a bread eater.....but I would prefer to have mine without a bun.......thats just me....LOL!!!

Funny you should say that, Pale...My kids and I eat our burgers plain with honey drizzled on them. (When we eat burgers) We don't eat a lot of meat...mostly chicken, and tuna...or haddock. Our downfall is cheese...we eat a lot of cheese!!

Guest Yediyd
<div class='quotemain'>Funny you should say that, Pale...My kids and I eat our burgers plain with honey drizzled on them.

:ahhh:

Yediyd,

Did you guys make this up?

Elphie

We discovered it by accident one day...we were out of mustard...and my daughter decided to try honey...it was delicious!! We eat it that way on purpose, now!! We don't eat a lot of bread, either.

I have some reservations but I just might try it. I don't know. We'll see-maybe a dab.
Try it just once, Dr. T, let me know what you think!! You don't need a bun, and it really IS delicious that way!!!