Lds Bible Translations?

CaptainTux

I use a open source software Bible Study tool. Many bible versions are copywritten and they will not allow free electronic version to be released for this software. Some do. Anyway, I would like to incorporate some LDS study into my studies.

So, here is what is offered to me. The Joseph Smith Version. The description reads as follows.....

"About Joseph Smith Translation

Also called the Inspired Version, this is the official Bible of the RLDS (of Missouri) but not of the LDS (of Utah). It is essentially a modification of the KJV, begun in 1830 and substantively completed in 1833, though changes were made through the end of Joseph Smith's life in 1844."

Is this version too different from the accepted LDS text..and if so..are there electronic copies available for free or pay?

You won't go far wrong with the KJV if looking for the official LDS Bible. Of course the free-source version probably won't have the LDS footnotes and whatnot, but the software you're using probably wouldn't incorporate such features anyway.

You can also go to www.scriptures.lds.org for all LDS scriptures free online.

Are you using eSword? I assume that's the free Bible study software you mentioned. I use it and love it, mainly for the access to the Greek and Hebrew lexicons/concordances. Good to see you posting again.

Are you using eSword? I assume that's the free Bible study software you mentioned. I use it and love it, mainly for the access to the Greek and Hebrew lexicons/concordances. Good to see you posting again.

I am your friendly neighborhood Linux Migration Consultant and Open Source Software Advocate. ;)

I use the Sword Project. IN windows it is the Sword Project for Windows, in most Linux distros it is Bible Time, in Ubuntu it is Gnomesword.

Good to see you CaptainTux!

Wikipedia has some information links at the bottom of this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Smith_...on_of_the_Bible

M. :)

Thanks, my dear. Not sure how long I will be in the doorway. Busy and tend to float about the web a bit. ;) I will try to stick around...but I am easily distracted by shiny objects.

You won't go far wrong with the KJV if looking for the official LDS Bible.

I wouldn't call the KJV official. That's what we publish but that is not to say that other versions aren't acceptable... do you know of any official decree on the matter.

No, I was just saying that if he wanted the Bible most LDS use regularly, he'd want to go with the KJV.

I don't think it's the best translation out there, but I do enjoy it better than these modern versions we have nowadays.

First Presidency Statement on the King James Version of the Bible

The First Presidency has released the following letter regarding the King James Version of the Bible.

“First Presidency Statement on the King James Version of the Bible,” Ensign, Aug. 1992, 80

Since the days of the Prophet Joseph Smith, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has used the King James Version of the Bible for English-speaking members.

The Bible, as it has been transmitted over the centuries, has suffered the loss of many plain and precious parts. ‘We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.’ (A of F 1:8.)

Many versions of the Bible are available today. Unfortunately, no original manuscripts of any portion of the Bible are available for comparison to determine the most accurate version. However, the Lord has revealed clearly the doctrines of the gospel in these latter-days. The most reliable way to measure the accuracy of any biblical passage is not by comparing different texts, but by comparison with the Book of Mormon and modern-day revelations.

While other Bible versions may be easier to read than the King James Version, in doctrinal matters latter-day revelation supports the King James Version in preference to other English translations. All of the Presidents of the Church, beginning with the Prophet Joseph Smith, have supported the King James Version by encouraging its continued use in the Church. In light of all the above, it is the English language Bible used by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The LDS edition of the Bible (1979) contains the King James Version supplemented and clarified by footnotes, study aids, and cross-references to the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price. These four books are the standard works of the Church. We encourage all members to have their own copies of the complete standard works and to use them prayerfully in regular personal and family study, and in Church meetings and assignments.

Sincerely your brethren,

Ezra Taft Benson

Gordon B. Hinckley

Thomas S. Monson

When I became a member of the LDS church, I was given a copy of the Biblbe and Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price, and the Book of Mormon. I was told that the Bible was the Joseph Smith translation.

I think you misunderstood - or else the person giving you the Bible (which is clearly marked as the KJV) didn't know much.

In the newer copies of the 3n1, Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants and Pearl of Great Price there is a copy of the few chapters of the New Testament that Joseph Smith offered an updated translation to. I do not believe the Bible used by LDS contains the Joseph Smith translation and it should be the King James Version of the bible with LDS footnotes.

Ben Raines

Guest Yediyd

I wish the church would go ahead and make a JS copy and not bother with the footnotes!! It is tiresome always checking the footnotes as I read...If we take him for a prophet (and we DO) why not trust his version and just publish it that way....count me in for a copy!!! :)

I wish the church would go ahead and make a JS copy and not bother with the footnotes!! It is tiresome always checking the footnotes as I read...If we take him for a prophet (and we DO) why not trust his version and just publish it that way....count me in for a copy!!! :)

The Community of Christ (formerly the RLDS church) publishes Smith's translation as the "Inspired Version" of the Bible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Smith_...on_of_the_Bible

I'm not sure how publishing actually works and if it involves copyright issues but since The CofC seems to have the power over this translation I would think it might not be as easy for the LDS church to accomplish what you request. Does anyone else know how publishing works?

M.

I got a copy called "Joseph Smith's 'New Translation' of the Bible," from Herald Publishing (1970). I got it from an RLDS couple I tracted into on my mission in Kentucky.

It's cool, it has the KJV on the left side of each page, and the JST on the right side of each page, so you have two columns on each page. It makes it easy to compare for differences, which is pretty darn cool.

Now, Joseph Smith never officially "finished" his translation and was working on it up to his death, which is I think why the LDS don't just include all of it. Anyway, it's interesting no matter which way you look at it. Here's the ISBN if you want to look it up: 0-8309-0032-2

Guest Yediyd

I got a copy called "Joseph Smith's 'New Translation' of the Bible," from Herald Publishing (1970). I got it from an RLDS couple I tracted into on my mission in Kentucky.

It's cool, it has the KJV on the left side of each page, and the JST on the right side of each page, so you have two columns on each page. It makes it easy to compare for differences, which is pretty darn cool.

Now, Joseph Smith never officially "finished" his translation and was working on it up to his death, which is I think why the LDS don't just include all of it. Anyway, it's interesting no matter which way you look at it. Here's the ISBN if you want to look it up: 0-8309-0032-2

Thanks CK, I will!!!