"Maternal Feminism" Big Ocean Women

Guest LiterateParakeet

Guest LiterateParakeet

I thought this was interesting, and thought you guys might as well.

"What IS maternal feminism, anyway? In this blog post, Big Ocean Women founder Carolina Allen describes her spiritual journey toward feminism and outlines her vision for a restoration of feminism - a "maternal feminism" that stands for faith, family, and motherhood."

http://blog.bigoceanwomen.com/2015/01/carolina-sagebin-allen-call-for.html

Big Ocean Women has a Facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/bigoceanwomen?fref=nf

Edited by LiterateParakeet

I am interested in the article and will read it soon! As a feminist, I just stand for the right for women to freely choose their path in life, without society shaming. So if a woman chooses motherhood - great! I did after years in nursing - or if a woman chooses career - that's great too! Or if a woman does both - fantastic! I don't believe there's a one size fits all. So, after my breakfast and run, I'll take a read :)

Guest MormonGator

I am interested in the article and will read it soon! As a feminist, I just stand for the right for women to freely choose their path in life, without society shaming. So if a woman chooses motherhood - great! I did after years in nursing - or if a woman chooses career - that's great too! Or if a woman does both - fantastic! I don't believe there's a one size fits all. So, after my breakfast and run, I'll take a read :)

I'm a male and I've considered myself a feminist, but in reality I'm more of an individualist. This is a great definition of feminism though.    

I also think both sides of the argument get it wrong about the term "feminism". It's a dirty word to some and others think you have to agree 100% with the ultra feminists in order to be a feminist. 

Example: I'm not comfortable with women taking their husbands names (long story). When talking about that in a conversation someone mentioned "Oh! So you are a feminist?" I replied "Yes." She then said "So you are pro-choice, etc etc" and rattled off several other feminist position. I replied, "No, but I am feminist." She looked stunned and said "Not a real one."Ouch. Apparently some people think you have to agree with them verbatim to be a feminist. You don't. 

Edited by MormonGator

I wish her success in forming a strong case for women without undermining family. I am glad to see that there are like-minded people who wish to support her cause. I have never liked the term feminist personally because it always comes with baggage and pushing agendas designed to destroy the family in the name of women's rights. I know Anatess and others here have stated that the term has been hi-jacked - which it may well have been - so thoroughly infact that from my perspective the idea of defining feminism as anything other than a plot to destroy the family by various tactics such as aligning with lgbtq* agendas, taking women from the home (so the government has more influence over our children's thoughts and development than parents do) and making men appear irrelevant and undesirable seems to be wishful thinking because that's generally all I've ever known feminism to be. I think it will be a long hard fight to un-hi-jack it if it can be done at all. Good luck Carolina - I sincerely mean it (I'm told you're aware of our thread).

On the other hand I've had the opportunity to work with some very strong feminists who despise this "dark-side" of feminism and claim that the title femi-nazi applies to this camp, but true feminists are not that way. Perhaps the drops of water are forming around the world to fill Carolina's ocean.

Edited by SpiritDragon

I love that article.  Women like Carolina are the true women, mothers and feminists.  I'm convinced there are many of you women here in the forum who likewise carry the torch of true womanhood and feminism... not the hi-jacked version we see so increasingly prevalent in the world.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the establishment of the Relief Society pretty much predate all the modern women's movements?  Isn't it interesting that our LDS mothers were the first feminists in the true sense of the word?  I think they were anyway... and they still are.  Who these women are is even more powerful than their words.  Women like my mother, my wife, my daughter.... and women like you.  :)  Thank you so much for who you are and who you are striving to be!  The world doesn't get it... but, thankfully, you do.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I'm a male and I've considered myself a feminist, but in reality I'm more of an individualist. This is a great definition of feminism though.    

I also think both sides of the argument get it wrong about the term "feminism". It's a dirty word to some and others think you have to agree 100% with the ultra feminists in order to be a feminist. 

Example: I'm not comfortable with women taking their husbands names (long story). When talking about that in a conversation someone mentioned "Oh! So you are a feminist?" I replied "Yes." She then said "So you are pro-choice, etc etc" and rattled off several other feminist position. I replied, "No, but I am feminist." She looked stunned and said "Not a real one."Ouch. Apparently some people think you have to agree with them verbatim to be a feminist. You don't. 

I can relate to this.  I always say that "feminism and forgiveness" are terms that need to be defined before they can be discussed because I what I mean by feminism or forgiveness can be very different than the next person.  

I've always felt torn, there's much about feminism that I am drawn to.  Being treated equally...that should be a no brainer, but when we look at history--obviously it's not.  And rape culture...I agree that it exists and we need to educate people and fight it. But I am Pro-Life.  And I believe motherhood is my greatest accomplishment, it is also important to me to develop my mind and my talents, but my kids and my husband are the best part of my life.  So I don't support any "brand" of feminism that is in anyway negative about motherhood.

I used to think I was against feminism because I grew up with the idea that it was "anti-family".  But that was before I investigated it for myself.  On Facebook once I saw some old posters from when women were fighting to get the right to vote.  The posters claimed that if women could vote it would destroy the family.  That is hilarious, but they were very serious.  So yes, I am grateful for the feminists that went before that helped us have the rights we, women, have today...like voting and owning property etc.

I love Claudia Bushman's definition of feminism: 

I am a feminist myself, and I doubt that many people would disagree with my definition of feminism, that the talents of women should be developed for the benefit of their communities, their church, their families and themselves.  

http://www.fairmormon.org/perspectives/fair-conferences/2006-fair-conference/2006-the-lives-of-mormon-women

Her whole talk is wonderful, BTW.

Anyway, this is why I like Carolina's idea for Big Ocean Women.  That is a kind of feminism I can get behind.  :)  

Guest LiterateParakeet

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the establishment of the Relief Society pretty much predate all the modern women's movements?  Isn't it interesting that our LDS mothers were the first feminists in the true sense of the word?  I think they were anyway... and they still are.  Who these women are is even more powerful than their words.  Women like my mother, my wife, my daughter.... and women like you.   :)  Thank you so much for who you are and who you are striving to be!  The world doesn't get it... but, thankfully, you do.

I love this!  I think you are right, Claudia Bushman said:

As many know, Mormon women got the franchise in 1870, long before U.S. women did. Women’s advocates Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton visited in Utah, rallying Mormon women around them. Utah women voted from 1870 until 1887 when legislation disfranchised all Church members and all females, but Mormons have used this short progressive experiment as evidence of male liberality towards women. Nineteenth-century male leaders encouraged Mormon women to get education, and Utah had a high percentage of early female doctors. 

http://www.fairmormon.org/perspectives/fair-conferences/2006-fair-conference/2006-the-lives-of-mormon-women

Guest MormonGator

I can relate to this. 

Thanks. I am NOT trying to turn this into an abortion debate, but that seems like it's the sole, defining issue for some feminists. It isn't.