So you don't have to be baptised LDS? Cool.

Sacrament meetings are open to any who would like to attend regardless of whether they're a member or not. However, if someone hasn't been baptized, partaking of the sacrament isn't necessary (it won't be renewing your baptismal covenant), and since we are witnessing to Heavenly Father that we are worthy of the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost - the gift of the Holy Ghost being given after baptism - it will be more of a token of respect if you know what I mean.

Sacrament prayer said over the bread ~

O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this bread to the souls of all those who partake of it; that they may eat in remembrance of the body of thy Son, and witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son [baptized], and always remember him, and keep his commandments which he hath given them, that they may always have his Spirit to be with them [his Spirit, meaning the Holy Ghost]. Amen.

Edited by Average Joe

Sacrament meetings are open to any who would like to attend regardless of whether they're a member or not. However, if someone hasn't been baptized, partaking of the sacrament isn't necessary (it won't be renewing your baptismal covenant), and since we are witnessing to Heavenly Father that we are worthy of the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost - the gift of the Holy Ghost being given after baptism - it will be more of a token of respect if you know what I mean.

Sacrament prayer said over the bread ~

O God, the Eternal Father, we ask thee in the name of thy Son, Jesus Christ, to bless and sanctify this bread to the souls of all those who partake of it; that they may eat in remembrance of the body of thy Son, and witness unto thee, O God, the Eternal Father, that they are willing to take upon them the name of thy Son [baptized], and always remember him, and keep his commandments which he hath given them, that they may always have his Spirit to be with them [his Spirit, meaning the Holy Ghost]. Amen.

Ah I see, so it's best to hold off until one is baptised.

Thanks.

Only two people have the authority to tell you not to partake of the sacrament.  The bishop... and yourself.  Both of whom are (hopefully) listening to the spirit of God as to what his will on the matter is.

As someone whom is investigating the Bishop will most likely see you as someone who is working to learn and bring his life in harmony with the gospel (aka repenting) and not see any need to forbid you.  So it becomes between you and God.

Do you feel worthy to partake of the Flesh and Blood of Christ?  That is a question everyone should be asking themselves every time. Please note this does not mean begin perfect...

Many years ago when I was young in the Catholic church I forget all the rules, but you were supposed to go to confession before you did, to confess your sins and say your penance.

This year, in the LDS church, the first week the missionaries looked wide eyed at me when I didn't parktake of the sacrament.  And later mentioned, chagrin like, you know, you can partake of the sacrament.  You are supposed to.

Maybe it was their way of bringing me in.  Which was best as I was on my way in in any case.

dc

Edited by David13

So you don't have to be baptised LDS? Cool.

it won't do anything for you as you would not have made the covenants of which they represent yet. you are fine either way, but if you chose to do so, I'd suggest to keep christ in mind and remember what he has done for you and to make the commitment or renew the commitment you have to follow him.

Just a side-note:

Unlike Catholicism where the bread and wine is not just symbols of the body and blood of Christ but the literal body and blood of Christ, the LDS bread and water represents the body and blood of Christ that was shed for us but are not literally the body and blood of Christ.