Birthday Gift for hometeacher gift ideas?

LadyHanley93

I am surprised at you and I must say, disappointed. You certainly understand my point yet you want to carry it on to aburdity.

I expect it from TFP, but you, Anatess? Come'on.

My apologies. TFP has me thinking on the defensive. Your point was on mark.

Interesting. My point is exactly the same as anatess. You stated that you, and I quote, "shouldn't. Period.", give a give to a home teacher. In your later explanations you stated it was related to obligation. But there is, as anatess has said, no obligation involved, and therefore, I question why you would say, "shouldn't. Period." Did you misspeak?

I'm not sure why someone would presume from the OP that she was interested in buying a gift for her home teacher out of obligation. But that's neither here nor there. I simply wanted you to explain yourself.

I know, I know. You're going to go on about the lack of tact I have. To which I'll reply -- all I did was ask you to explain yourself. You said something. I said "why", to which you restated your position without explaining it, to which I re-iterated "but why?" To which you did not reply at all. Then you said to someone else that you would never argue against giving a gift, which is directly contrary to your original reply that you "shouldn't. Period." So I, in an attempt to be light-hearted, posted a Sesame Street video to question this discrepancy in hopes that you would clarify your actual position. (Prior to posting the video, I had typed, "One of these things is not like the other..." and that made me think of the song, so I thought the video would be fun, funny, etc.)

So I'm a bit confused why you're defensive other than that you contradicted yourself and I pointed it out -- which, really, is an easy enough reconciliation without defensiveness. You could say, "I spoke too emphatically in my first reply and I didn't really mean, Period.", for example, to which I would say, "Ah. Gotchya." Or you could explain your position more clearly in some other manner.

As for the topic at hand, I still cannot quite understand why anyone would suggest that another shouldn't buy their home teacher a gift if they so desire. Perhaps all you meant, and if so -- please do confirm -- was to verify with the OP that she didn't feel obligated to do so because she thought it was a requirement or something, in which case, I'd be right there with you. She shouldn't think it's a requirement or an obligation.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

I'm glad I am so important to you such that you waste your time writing all that up.

I don't consider time spent in an effort to explain my sincerity when I am being viewed negatively a waste of time. If you consider it time wasted, that's on you.

My hometeacher has been teaching for about two months now but we have become good friends in the past year and have grow close to each other. I have no idea what to get the guy I am usually a good shopper. Any Suggestions? I would prefer it be under 40 dollars I don't have a ton of money. I don't want to get him a gift card because their is no thought in that. He is turning 28 in a few weeks and an accountant. He has his masters degree in accounting.

Questions: Are you single? Is he? Is there anything therein or is this gift meant as simply a friend thing? I ask, at the risk of overstepping propriety, because it might well matter as to what sort of gift is recommended, if you know what I mean. ;)

Questions: Are you single? Is he? Is there anything therein or is this gift meant as simply a friend thing? I ask, at the risk of overstepping propriety, because it might well matter as to what sort of gift is recommended, if you know what I mean. ;)

Actually I am dating someone and he is also dating someone. We are both in a ysa ward I think of him as a lovable older brother. Their is no romantic interest their. I went out and purchased a tie at Ross for 8 dollars of his favorite Color and got him his favorite candy for 2 dollars.   

I'm not even sure why this thread turned into a debate as to whether one should give a gift to a home teacher.  That wasn't the point of the thread when it was started.  Giving gifts is a personal decision. The question was just what kind of gift.

I'm not even sure why this thread turned into a debate as to whether one should give a gift to a home teacher.  That wasn't the point of the thread when it was started.  Giving gifts is a personal decision. The question was just what kind of gift.

I created the debate because I felt there to be an expression that the gift giving was "because" the receipient was acting in the role of a home teacher. If that in fact is part of the culture of the Church, I would argue against it. My instinct was more of what TFP expressed in that there was some romantic or freindly motivation. I believe I was right to start the debate because why would someone come on the LDS.net forum asking how much money one should spend on a present for a casual friend?

I appreciate the OP coming back on and making the clarification. Many people posting don't do that.

Edited by pkstpaul

I created the debate because I felt there to be an expression that the gift giving was "because" the receipient was acting in the role of a home teacher. If that in fact is part of the culture of the Church, I would argue against it. My instinct was more of what TFP expressed in that there was some romantic or freindly motivation. I believe I was right to start the debate because why would someone come on the LDS.net forum asking how much money one should spend on a present for a casual friend? I appreciate the OP coming back on and making the clarification. Many people posting don't do that.

I don't think creating a debate is necessary for this type of forum in fact I think it is really immature of you. So don't nit pick be more mature and respectful!

Edited by LadyHanley93