A Question

Traveler

Sometimes when Jesus was involved with individuals seeking blessings from the Christ he would indicate that they had completed and were about to recieve more than for what they had asked. This is when Jesus would include with their blessing the phrase - "Thy faith has made you whole."

What did he mean by that statement - why is this in scripture. Does being whole include being saved, does it have more or less meaning or not related to salvation? And why did he indicate that being whole has more to do with the faith of an individual than it does the mercy of G-d?

Is there anyone on the forum that believes that Jesus has indicated to them that they are whole and therefore in position of authority to inform others?

The Traveler

Hello Traveler,

I think the adage “thy faith hath made thee whole” may have had different meanings or significance in different circumstances.

In Matthew 9 (verses 20-22), it was two fold. The woman was made whole, in the fact that her physical ailment was healed. But, there was a much deeper healing that took place. Under Mosaic law, this woman would have been considered “unclean” for twelve long consecutive years. This means that for twelve years, this poor woman would not have been able to perform the rites of purification to be made clean before the Lord. She also would have been ostracized in many ways. Others would not have been able to so much as touch her clothing or else they would have been considered unclean for that day.

Christ had not yet completely fulfilled the law at this point (at least that’s how I understand it). So, Christ not only cured her physical ailment, but He also made her “whole” by making her clean before G-d. That which made her unclean by the law was made clean by Christ. The woman wasn’t necessarily guilty of any “sin,” but Christ redeemed her from the “curse of the law” (Gal 3:13).

Neal A Maxwell had this to say on the account in Mark 5:34 (sorry, I don’t have a source for this quote) -- emphasis mine:

“There is such majesty in Jesus' meekness and such eloquent example in His refusal ever to self-aggrandize. Even in His healings, there was no boasting: ‘Thy faith hath made thee whole’

Enos (1:8) receives a similar blessing before Christ’s mortal ministry. I think this might be a good example of sanctification. At that very moment, Enos’ faith in Christ caused his past sins to be washed away thusly making him “whole” and starting him on the path to justification.

All-in-all though. I think that ultimately Christ’s words were meant as a comforter. What better healing could a broken heart receive than “thy faith hath made thee whole” from the very Savior himself? And, like Elder Maxwell stated, what an “eloquent example” of meekness and humility.

Sometimes when Jesus was involved with individuals seeking blessings from the Christ he would indicate that they had completed and were about to recieve more than for what they had asked. This is when Jesus would include with their blessing the phrase - "Thy faith has made you whole."

What did he mean by that statement - why is this in scripture. Does being whole include being saved, does it have more or less meaning or not related to salvation? And why did he indicate that being whole has more to do with the faith of an individual than it does the mercy of G-d?

Is there anyone on the forum that believes that Jesus has indicated to them that they are whole and therefore in position of authority to inform others?

The Traveler

This phrase usually shows up as Jesus is about to heal someone. I usually take it to mean that the person will receive their healing. Further, he often seems to be poking at the self-righteous "followers of the law," who are so convinced of their righteousness. Along comes a broken individual, with no pretentions, but with faith that Jesus can help them. And, He does!

If you have a computer search engine on down loaded scripture you will find that Jesus uses the term "whole" to refer to something other than healings. Perhaps the other question is - was he serious in the use of the term or was he being sarcastic?

The Traveler

The Traveler

This is just personal based on blessings I have had for my illness, but it is linked to Faith lifting your burderns. When you are ill for a long time there is often a lot of mental problems as well, and a life to put back together. With Faith that becomes very easy

Charley

The Traveler

Pray to God.