Do I need a reservation for SLC temple?

I am going to really try to get to SLC this spring, probably after Conference as I don't think I can deal with the crowds.

I would like to do a session at the temple, but I imagine many other pilgrims want to do this as well. Do I need a reservation? If so, how far in advance should I inquire about it?  Anything else I should know about sessions at SLC?  I've only done them at Nauvoo.

No reservations. Just show up.

You don't enter the Salt Lake temple through any of the main temple doors. Rather, there is a separate annex that you enter, then go underground to access the temple. The interior is unlike any other temple I have ever seen. The live actors give the endowment presentation a different, more immediate (and intimate) feel. I found it to be a very emotional, moving experience. Speaking of moving, you get up and walk from room to room during the endowment.

I definitely encourage you to go. i loved it.

All the Temples have websites, or pages on the church website which gives their hours and schedules.  And also their closing schedule.

When I was in Manti in September the Temple was closed for repairs and cleaning.  Totally closed.

But that's when I was there.  Just at the wrong time.

dc

1.  I doubt it'd be open Conference Weekend itself, so definitely check out their website.

2.  You can park in the Conference Center parking lot and walk over to the temple.  At the recommend desk, be sure to ask for a parking token and the parking lot will accept that in lieu of payment when you leave.

3.  If you've never done the temple square tour before, set aside some time to do it (and don't forget the Church History Museum and Church History Library).

Edited by Just_A_Guy

No reservations. Just show up.

You don't enter the Salt Lake temple through any of the main temple doors. Rather, there is a separate annex that you enter, then go underground to access the temple. The interior is unlike any other temple I have ever seen. The live actors give the endowment presentation a different, more immediate (and intimate) feel. I found it to be a very emotional, moving experience. Speaking of moving, you get up and walk from room to room during the endowment.

I definitely encourage you to go. i loved it.

I knew there were live actors (I didn't know if I could say that here). We move from room to room at Nauvoo - is that not usually the case?  Also, does this involve going up and down stairs?

We move from room to room at Nauvoo - is that not usually the case?  Also, does this involve going up and down stairs?

Yes, there are stairs, but if you cannot handle them, there are elevators and other aids for you.

Lehi

I knew there were live actors (I didn't know if I could say that here). We move from room to room at Nauvoo - is that not usually the case?  Also, does this involve going up and down stairs?

There are a number of ways the transitions are handled depending on the temple.  Some have the entire presentation done in one room.  Provo (the older one) is an example of this as is Washington DC.  Most of the new "small" temple designs have two rooms where the first three are handled in one room and you move to the fourth.  Older designs usually have four rooms that you move through either with the film or live actors (Salt Lake, Idaho Falls, Los Angeles and apparently Nauvoo) and a few of the older temples have been converted to use individual endowment rooms but (trying not to get too specific here) you move to a final room for the final explanation to move out of the endowment rooms (Logan and St George).   

There may be a few other arrangements but these are what I've seen.  

Also the Salt Lake Temple does involve going up and down a fair amount.  I find the stairways a bit uncomfortable, and since people averaged a bit shorter when it was built, all the handrails are uncomfortably short. Fortunately there are elevators pretty much everywhere you would need to go up more than a step or two. 

The ordinance rooms are beautiful. I love the paintings in the hallways. There are some of Joseph and Hyrum especially, painted by someone who was alive when they were, that fascinated me somehow. I love the celestial room, and the history of that room and all of the temple. I don't know that I'd want a live session every time, but I thought it was wonderful and it helped me see and hear things in a new way.