All missionaries safe in Ecuador

pam

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=39383125&nid=1284

QUITO, Ecuador — A spokeswoman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints confirmed Sunday that all of the missionaries in Ecuador are accounted for and safe in the wake of Saturday’s 7.8-magnitude earthquake that has left at least 235 people dead and more than 1,500 injured.

Guest MormonGator
12 minutes ago, pam said:

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=39383125&nid=1284

QUITO, Ecuador — A spokeswoman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints confirmed Sunday that all of the missionaries in Ecuador are accounted for and safe in the wake of Saturday’s 7.8-magnitude earthquake that has left at least 235 people dead and more than 1,500 injured.

Very glad they are okay! Praying for all the victims, for sure. 

14 minutes ago, pam said:

Thanks for posting this. I don't always keep up with this sort of thing, and I should.

Lehi

All of the missionaries are safe.  Unfortunately some of the local members died from it.  Including a local leader, his wife and daughter.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=39408879&nid=1016&title=mormon-leader-his-wife-and-daughter-among-413-killed-in-ecuador-quake

I'm truly glad the missionaries are safe, and sad for the members who have died.

However, at the risk of sounding callous:

With 80,000 missionaries in the field and almost 17 million members, statistically you would expect some of these to die every day. I don't see the point of the news headlines announcing things like this, unless I guess you have a missionary or know some members in the area.

I'm actually surprised more missionaries don't die. The death rate must be a lot lower than the average, for example, for US males ages 18-20. That's an age of high risk living, for those not living an LDS missionary lifestyle at least.

I think the Lord must be watching over them. Especially the ones obeying the mission rules :)

Edited by tesuji

11 minutes ago, tesuji said:

With 80,000 missionaries in the field and almost 17 million members, statistically you would expect some of these to die every day. I don't see the point of the news headlines announcing things like this, unless I guess you have a missionary or know some members in the area.

I have a friend serving in Chile, and while I hope her family would let me know if anything happened to her, I doubt I would be high on the priority list, so it's comforting to have these "all missionaries safe" headlines, often before I even hear of something going wrong there.

1 hour ago, tesuji said:

I'm truly glad the missionaries are safe, and sad for the members who have died.

However, at the risk of sounding callous:

Well for those of us that live in the SLC area, the news of things like this comes out quite often.  I post them just for general knowledge.

Guest MormonGator
10 minutes ago, pam said:

Well for those of us that live in the SLC area, the news of things like this comes out quite often.  I post them just for general knowledge.

I'm glad you post them. I don't get a lot of LDS news from the proper sources living so far away from Utah. 

These missionaries do the Lords work, literally. They are far away from their families at such a young age and give up so much. We owe it to them to stay informed and pray for their safety.