Pushing Back Against the Transgender Bathroom Directive

4 hours ago, unixknight said:

“He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool.”
― Brigham Young

Yo Mama's a fool!

Guest MormonGator
18 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Yo Mama's a fool!

In a karate class I was taking once some idiot (me) ran into the wall at full force. I got up, shook it off. My instructor said "Gator! The wall didn't mean it, I'm sure he's sorry." I said "The wall started it Sir, said something about my mother!" 

You guys slay me.  :lol:

Just to cover all the bases, I don't think anyone here is a fool.  I added that comment mainly because I can be a very sensitive person, and easily offended.  When I found that quote from Brigham Young it helped me to mature a bit and gather a new and more useful perspective.  Now I'm still easily offended, but I like to think I handle it better than I used to. 

If I may chime in on the USmerican thing... I understand LeSellers' reason for using the term and it makes sense to me.  I don't think he means any offense to anyone, including the USA itself.  I also get why people may not like it, in that it might be interpreted similarly to how people use "Xmas" instead of "Christmas" when they don't like the 'Christ' part*.  (Not that LeSellers means it that way) 

I think this kind of thing can serve as a useful reminder that there's plenty of room for all of us to do our thing, and as long as we can honestly understand each other, this sort of thing needn't divide us.

*The joke is on them, when they do that.  The 'X' in "Xmas" actually comes from an older Greek symbol that represented the Savior, and it looked a lot like an 'X' and that's how it actually began.  It didn't start off as a mere abbreviation.  (It's been a while since I read that, so don't quote me.)

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 8:11 AM, Rhoades said:

We couldn't even get our children to talk in 6 weeks, I can't imagine teaching them to read. ;) 

We use a more gradual approach that takes about 5 to 6 years.  Although it takes a while, they very much enjoy the process and they become very good readers in the end.

I know one homeschooling family whose kids really weren't proficient readers until about 11 or 12 years old. But when they were, they were good readers. The parents just sort of went quite gradual with it.

19 minutes ago, Backroads said:

I know one homeschooling family whose kids really weren't proficient readers until about 11 or 12 years old. But when they were, they were good readers. The parents just sort of went quite gradual with it.

The DeMilles (Author of the Thomas Jefferson Education) had that problem with one child.  They kept urging him, but he just never felt the desire to learn.  They began doubting their own system.  But when he did, he learned very quickly and did a lot of catch up fairly quickly to the point where he was considered quite advanced in most topics.

2 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

The DeMilles (Author of the Thomas Jefferson Education) had that problem with one child.  They kept urging him, but he just never felt the desire to learn.  They began doubting their own system.  But when he did, he learned very quickly and did a lot of catch up fairly quickly to the point where he was considered quite advanced in most topics.

You can't make a kid read before he's ready. My grandmother, a veteran teacher, always said that.

5 hours ago, Backroads said:

You can't make a kid read before he's ready. My grandmother, a veteran teacher, always said that.

I agree with this.

At the same time, a kid who grows up around books tend to read earlier as their curiosity gets "tickled".  I read to my kids every night before bed until they could read on their own and they had floor to ceiling shelves in their bedrooms with tons of books - books waaaaay beyond their reading level... like encyclopedia and such.  I grew up with a library so I just kinda felt my kids' bedrooms need a library too.  So they grew up flipping books and looking at pictures and eventually reading them on their own before they started Kindergarten.  For a while there, they were big on dinosaurs and so I took home dinosaur books I happen to see at flea markets and yard sales and such.  And one of the dinosaur books was a Magic Tree House book and so they got into Magic Tree House... and then there was monsters and stuff so they got into bailey's school kids and it just kept going from there.  One of the quirks of my house is I never say no to books... so if the library books are not enough and they want to buy one, I buy it.  No questions asked.  So my kids' shelves is a reflection of their unique personalities... the 14-year-old's shelves are filled with the classics and RA Salvatore and Star Wars and James Patterson stuff.  The other kid's shelves are full of history books, guiness record books, almanacs, books about trucks, skyscrapers, biographies, political books, stock investment how-to's, real estate investments and even a set of how-things-work books including what happens to Trash...

My brother also has the same thing at his house - the kids have shelves full of books in their bedrooms.  But one kid doesn't like to read much.  He likes watching it on TV... so his book reports for school are books he has seen on the screen and read afterwards.  He only reads books if he is required to.

Edited by anatess2

5 hours ago, Backroads said:

As anatess2 points out, children who are around books typically learn to read earlier than most children. There is a way to encourage them even further: read to them, a lot, and, once in a while, stop in the middle of a page because of "something you have to do". Then leave the book open by the child. His curiosity about an unfinished story will often arouse the need to learn to read.

There are other ways, too, but this one works ¾ of the time.

Lehi

Another way is to have family scripture study, where each child reads a verse (or ten) in turn, even the non-reader. When it's his turn, you read, he repeats. It gets tedious after while, and so he wants to learn so he doesn't have to parrot what he hears.

There are other ways, but this one works about ½ of the time the other (above) doesn't.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers