The Cube Test - A Japanese Psychology Game

Guest LiterateParakeet

6 hours ago, Vort said:
  1. You are writing a post to put on LDS.net. Describe it.
  2. Someone has just savaged your preferred political candidate. What personal insults spring to mind?
  3. You have been asked to describe the workings of an internal combustion engine in as much detail as you can muster, but without consulting any references. What does your general outline for the lecture look like?
  4. You are talking with your favorite person in the whole wide world, when you suddenly realize that your breath smells absolutely horrible, like chicken poop and dead fish mixed with raw sewage. What measures do you take to continue the conversation?
  5. You're reading a really stupid list of hypotheticals that ask you to come up with some ridiculous answer for each, and the last one is undisguisedly self-referential. How do you respond?

1. My post is with regard to some anti-Mormon folk tale about a salamander and polygamy creating the conditions for the Mountain Meadows Massacre over a doctrinal argument over Adam-God.

2. Insults: (You asked for it).
Yo mama...
How's the view from on top of the bell curve? (I wouldn't suggest this one against anyone with a sharp wit.  Comebacks are too easy).
Insufficient verbage exists in the English language to describe the many ways in which I wish to juxtapose your smug visage with the bathroom floor in Grand Central Station.
Isn't that kind of logic supposed to come out of the other end of your digestive tract?
I'd call you a ...  but you lack the depth.  
No matter how you dress up your argument, it's just a dressed up...
I have more, but I cannot sufficiently censor them for LDS.net.  I hang out with construction folk in heavy industry a lot.

3. A sketch of a basic 2-cycle engine that is often used for model airplane engines.  
Explain what an explosion is and why it causes things to move.
Draw the interlocking of pistons, cylinders, and a crankshaft.
Depending on the audience, I may go into the Carnot Cycle.
Compare IC engines with other modes of propulsion/energy generation like the warp core and hyperdrive and explain how vastly superior the horse and buggy are to each of them.
I then champion green energy as the new savior of the world and exercise dictatorial powers with my Dr. Manhattan type abilities to enslave all mankind into a green world.

4. Mint?

like chicken poop and dead fish mixed with raw sewage

Do you have personal experience on the matter which generated such... colorful imagery?

5. I admit the stupidity until I realize that all games are essentially stupid and come up with sincere answers for the first two and answer the third in an undisguisedly ridiculous manner (in good humor of course).

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, Vort said:

You're reading a really stupid list of hypotheticals that ask you to come up with some ridiculous answer for each, and the last one is undisguisedly self-referential. How do you respond?

...party pooper, party pooper...

7 hours ago, Eowyn said:

1) Tall Ponderosa pines overhead, a stream nearby. Lots of shade, and shade-loving plants, like ferns. 

2) Long country road under big, wide skies, with fields on each side. The fields are being watered with those sprinklers whose pipes are moved on huge wheels.

3) Red solo cup. 

4) Black bear, somewhat in the distance. Maybe even on the other side of the river. If I leave it alone, it will leave me along.

5) A lake at the edge of the forest, with just enough wake to reflect the sunlight as if it's covered in glitter. Sandy beaches with occasional driftwood, begging to be explored. 

5) Wood post fence. The other side has a verdant pasture and some lovely jersey cows. 

Interpretation.

1) The forest is the world.  I never understood what this was about because there are only so many ways a forest can exist.  It's a forest.
2) The road is the path of life that you see before you.
3) The cup is how you view romance.  The quality of the cup is how important romance is in your life.
4) The bear is problems in your life.  How you react is how you deal with problems in your life.  This one is tilted because they tell you that when you see a bear you're supposed to just stand still and wait for it to pass you by.  But in this test, I suppose you're supposed to be more free wheeling.
5) The body of water is how you view recreation.
6) The fence is death.  The other side is the afterlife.

Edited by Guest

12 hours ago, Carborendum said:

OK.  In the spirit of this "Game" I've got a similar type of thing that I do for parties.

1) You're walking through the forest.  Describe the forest.

The golf course next to Ft. Lewis, in Tacoma, WA.

2) You're on a road.  Describe the road.

I-405 between Tukwila, WA and Bellevue, at 4PM on Friday--basically a miles-long parking lot.

3) You find a cup in the road.  Describe the cup.

It's pure gold...oh, and 'finders' keepers!'

4) You see a bear.  Describe it.  Where is it?  What do you do about it?

It's an old, sentimental Teddy Bear.  I pick it up, hug it, and cry--cause I never had one as a kid.

5) You see a body of water.  Describe it.

It's under the horse, from the other scenario...except that really isn't water, is it?

6) You see a fence.  Describe the fence.  What's on the other side of the fence?

It's electrified, with barbed-wire at the top.  One side is a prison, and the other is re-entry.  I'm on the wrong side of the fence, but for the right reason.

Psychoanalyze THAT--I dare you!  :-)

1 hour ago, NightSG said:

So, basically, for prisonchaplain, life isn't just a game, it's a long, boring game that you're supposed to wear silly looking pants for.

So, are you saying that golf courses have electrified fences with barbed wire around them?  I've never been, so I don't know.  But where do you find a puddle of horse urine on a golf course?

So, here was my response to the forest one.

1) Yup.  It's a forest.  See it's got trees and other stuff that you'd see in a forest.  So, it's a forest.

2) It's a dirt footpath that meanders through the trees from pt A to pt B.  From where I stand it extends on over the hill and through the trees in the distance.

3) It is a ceramic coffee cup that was abandoned years ago and has been aging in the dirt path.  There is a chip in the side.  I clean it up and try to find the missing piece.  I can't find it.  So I go to Home Depot and get some ceramic putty and re-bake it.  It's fixed.  But you can still see the cracks.  And the putty isn't quite the same color as the original cup.  But it works.  I drink Pero out of it.  One cream, two sugars.  My wife comments that she doesn't like the smell of Pero. So, she slunks off.

4) It's Smoky the Bear.  He looks at me and says,"Only you can prevent forest fires."  I think of the fire starter kit in my fanny pack and consider the safety precautions that I learned in boy scouts.  Then I realize I've never been able to even start a fire with just a fire starter.  So, I'm good.  Then I think, if I can't get a fire started in this forest then I'm not good.

5)The lake is similar to Eowyn's, but it is fed by a waterfall about 40 ft high that only partially exposes an outcropping of the hardest granite.  I'm on a canoe on the lake and I'm fishing.

6) The fence isn't really there anymore.  The remains lie on the ground as a testament of what it once was - a two level split rail wood fence.  But you can just walk to-and-fro without acknowledging it.  The other side is more of the wilderness.  But much more open space and clear skies than the dense forest I just came out of.  The grass is greener with more flowers.

Guest LiterateParakeet
On June 1, 2016 at 8:28 PM, Carborendum said:

OK.  In the spirit of this "Game" I've got a similar type of thing that I do for parties.

1) You're walking through the forest.  Describe the forest.
2) You're on a road.  Describe the road.
3) You find a cup in the road.  Describe the cup.
4) You see a bear.  Describe it.  Where is it?  What do you do about it?
5) You see a body of water.  Describe it.
6) You see a fence.  Describe the fence.  What's on the other side of the fence?

1.  A rain forest...full of exotic animals and plants....nothing dangerous! 

2. It's a dusty, unpaved road, the road less traveled, LOL!

3. It's a little yellow plastic cup, probably a child's cup.

4. It's a grizzly.  It rises up on it's hind legs, and I know I'm dead.  I want to run, but I am paralyzed by fear (thanks for that vision, Carb)

5. An ocean with a rocky coast line...think Alaska not California.  

6. It's a wooden fence, beautifully crafted.  On the other side is a green lawn, (same as my side, not greener. LOL!)

On June 1, 2016 at 11:49 PM, Vort said:
  2. Someone has just savaged your preferred political candidate. What personal insults spring to mind?
  3. You have been asked to describe the workings of an internal combustion engine in as much detail as you can muster, but without consulting any references. What does your general outline for the lecture look like?
  4. You are talking with your favorite person in the whole wide world, when you suddenly realize that your breath smells absolutely horrible, like chicken poop and dead fish mixed with raw sewage. What measures do you take to continue the conversation?
  5. You're reading a really stupid list of hypotheticals that ask you to come up with some ridiculous answer for each, and the last one is undisguisedly self-referential. How do you respond?

1. It's a goofy psychological game that Carb and Vort will hate. 

2. I plead the 5th.  

3. Ladies and Gentlemen thank you for inviting me.  I now turn the time over to Vort.  

4. Since my favorite person is my husband I would laugh and say, "Oh my stars, Honey why didn't you tell me?"  Then I would go brush my teeth.

5. LP is a thoughtful and witty poster.  One of my favorites on LDS.net.

Edited to add:  I just read the interpretation for Carb's questions above....yikes!  

Edited by LiterateParakeet

On 6/1/2016 at 11:49 PM, Vort said:

It's one summarizing the latest Evangelical scholar who thinks LDS may be veering towards orthodoxy, so I can watch half the site rejoice, and the other half set up boundaries and say it ain't so, and never will be.  :-)

1. Someone has just savaged your preferred political candidate. What personal insults spring to mind?

None.  This year they are right--on all sides of the aisle.  Three NY liberals and a pro-abortion Libertarian.  Yikes!

1. You have been asked to describe the workings of an internal combustion engine in as much detail as you can muster, but without consulting any references. What does your general outline for the lecture look like?

The Electoral College

1. You are talking with your favorite person in the whole wide world, when you suddenly realize that your breath smells absolutely horrible, like chicken poop and dead fish mixed with raw sewage. What measures do you take to continue the conversation?

I show them the link to my anglelake.org sermon podcasts, and suggest that they listen to my best one, while I take care of a personal matter (aka restroom to blowtorch mouth, and then drink a gallon of original Listerine)

1. You're reading a really stupid list of hypotheticals that ask you to come up with some ridiculous answer for each, and the last one is undisguisedly self-referential. How do you respond?

I play, pretending not to know better, assuming most will think I'm a saint (non-LDS version) for being so innocent.

5 hours ago, prisonchaplain said:

It's one summarizing the latest Evangelical scholar who thinks LDS may be veering towards orthodoxy, so I can watch half the site rejoice, and the other half set up boundaries and say it ain't so, and never will be.  :-)

But it just ain't so I tell ya!  It will never be!!! ;)

5 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

4. It's a grizzly.  It rises up on it's hind legs, and I know I'm dead.  I want to run, but I am paralyzed by fear (thanks for that vision, Carb)

Well, I could have thought that the horse in yours was a Night Mare.

images.jpg.43abd4c06737b6f1d7cdb1c074d4a

Sweet dreams everyone.