What's your favorite ordinance to do at the temple?

2 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

I didn't realize you were a moderator of this board. Where's the symbol showing you're a moderator? Im offended by you targeting me all the time. 

I'm not a moderator, as you know.

I don't "target [you] all the time", just when you're absolutely wrong, as you are here. (And on several points.)

Lehi

My vote is that it is crass, if not downright offensive. There are things I could think of to call the Sacrament besides bread and water, but just because it might be cute doesn't mean it would be respectful. 

Edited by Eowyn

11 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

My vote is that it is crass, if not downright offensive. There are things I could think of to call the Sacrament besides bread and water, but just because it might be cute doesn't mean it would be respectful. 

I don't find it all that respectful either...

However I find his response to offense much more telling on his mindset, and his ability to get along with others.  And not in a favorable way.

8 minutes ago, Eowyn said:

... just because it might be cute doesn't mean it would be respectful. 

This is the thing, right?  There comes a point (for some) when the sacredness of a thing overwhelms any "natural man" instinct to be amusing, cute, or casual in discussing it.  At that point, it's not a question of whether you're thin-skinned, it's that the lack of reverence is striking (it stands out, like highlighted text on the page), and it pains you to see or hear something you know is sacred referred to with less reverence than it deserves.  Someone who's still in amusing, cute, or casual mode, probably won't even understand what they're doing or above reaction.

If nothing else, this discussion has made me ponder whether I'm too casual in how I refer to ordinances.  I don't use nicknames for them (though I imagine the teenage me did), but I wonder if I couldn't speak / write in more reverential tones or terms.  And for that, this discussion has done good in at least one life.

18 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Zarahemla, are you a non-native English speaker?  "Dunking" is a pretty irreverent term, and I can't think of a single practicing English-speaking Mormon who would use it in connection with LDS temple rituals.

JAG, I was surprised by your comment here, so I did a search for the word "dunking" and only found one other poster commenting that "dunking" when used for a temple baptism was offensive. So my question is: Is it acceptable to use "dunking" for a regular baptism but not acceptable to use for proxy baptism in the temple?

M.

17 hours ago, LeSellers said:

I don't get offended at anything. It's just not worth the energy and effort to be worried about other people's foibles....

I disagree with this. LeSellers was very offended when I brought up the subject that moderate alcohol consumption might have health benefits; and he spent a lot of energy sharing his opinion. :)

M.

2 minutes ago, Maureen said:

LeSellers was very offended when I brought up the subject that moderate alcohol consumption might have health benefits; and he spent a lot of energy sharing his opinion. :)

That's not being offended, it's, in your words, spending a lot of energy sharing my opinion. Anyone is entitled to his opinion, and he has the right to express and defend it. But it becomes "offended" to most people when he starts calling others names or otherwise tries to denigrate those who don't agree with him.

I simply don't have the time or energy to be offended. And, as Brother Brigham explained, I'm not fool enough to be offended whether the person offends by accident or on purpose.

Lehi

5 minutes ago, Maureen said:

JAG, I was surprised by your comment here, so I did a search for the word "dunking" and only found one other poster commenting that "dunking" when used for a temple baptism was offensive. So my question is: Is it acceptable to use "dunking" for a regular baptism but not acceptable to use for proxy baptism in the temple?

M.

I did the same search and found that I had used it from the perspective of what some non-members think Mormons are going to do eventually to any non-member who stands still long enough.  Honestly, at this moment, I regret using the term, even though it's one I've heard before often enough (mostly from those same non-members who joke, kindly, being familiar and friendly with Mormons, about how Mormons work hard to convert those around them).  And, I'm not sure I thought about it much prior to this thread, but I'm sure thinking about it now.  I think JAG has taught us a valuable lesson.

29 minutes ago, Maureen said:

Is it acceptable to use "dunking" for a regular baptism but not acceptable to use for proxy baptism in the temple?

Not acceptable at all for any context in relation to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Dunking is what one does with a doughnut, not sons and daughters of God. Dunking is what happens when you throw a baseball at a target on a midway, not how men and women are saved into the kingdom of God.

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

Guest MormonGator

I take it none of you are from the east coast.

Yes, originally from New England actually.

When talking about my dad who is a non member one time my Stake President said "One day we'll get your dad dunked and he'll join the church." Referring to a baptism. So let's hear you guys talk bad about my Stake President who's a great man of God.

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

When talking about my dad who is a non member one time my Stake President said "One day we'll get your dad dunked and he'll join the church." Referring to a baptism. So let's hear you guys talk bad about my Stake President who's a great man of God.

No one is talking bad about anyone who uses terminology or regional vernacular that e don't like. Some of us are just saying that we find that term offensive and have asked you to stop using it. That's it. Again, I don't find it offensive but I don't make the rules. The polite thing to do is to stop using it. That's it.  

6 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

No one is talking bad about anyone who uses terminology or regional vernacular that e don't like. Some of us are just saying that we find that term offensive and have asked you to stop using it. That's it. Again, I don't find it offensive but I don't make the rules. The polite thing to do is to stop using it. That's it.  

I only used the term once and then once after in my most recent post explaining what my Stake President said. If you guys get this upset over a non curse word, I really hope you don't encounter people who curse or use the Lord's name in vain.

Edited by Zarahemla

Guest MormonGator

I only used the term once and then once after in my post recent post explaining what my Stake President said. If you guys get this upset over a non curse word, I really hope you don't encounter people who curse of use the Lord's name in vain.

::snickers:: like I said, I don't find it offensive, so don't lump me in with anyone please. I also have the mouth of a drunken sailor, I just have the self control not to use it all the time. 

8 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

This was supposed to be a thread about enjoying temple ordinances but Lesellers went and derailed my thread. I'm offended by that.

Thread derails are frequent, and often necessary for clarification.

For the record, I tried to drop it, but you seem unable to let go of your end of the stick. That, too, is a frequent occurrence.

Brigham Young:

He who is offended when offense is intended is a fool. He who is offended when offense is intended is a bigger (sometimes greater) fool.

Most who've expressed some irritation about this choice of words have not said they were "offended", but, rather, that they found the usage disrespectful and that it belittles a sacred ordinance. (The belittling of the sacred is the definition of "profanity".)

Where one might be offended is your attitude after having that pointed out to you.

Lehi
P.S. BTW, the name is LeSellers: two capitals. LS

Edited by LeSellers

1 hour ago, Maureen said:

M.

I don't proclaim myself to be the arbiter of what is and isn't "acceptable", and I'd note that I'm not the one who started throwing around terms like "offensive".  Certainly the term might be helpful in explaining to a newbie what physical act the ritual entails.  But after that--speaking for myself, I would never use the term "dunk" or "dunking" when referring to a baptism, either live or proxy; just like I wouldn't call the communion line in a Catholic church a "buffet" or refer to another forum member's father as his "old man".  I've never heard the term used in real life, except for when I was a missionary--and then, frankly, only by a certain class of missionaries.

47 minutes ago, Zarahemla said:

Given that you have previously compared earlier Church prophets to "creeps" on this forum, I am going to simply express satisfaction in your finally showing some reservations about talking bad about great men of God.  We must be rubbing off on you.  :satan:

Edited by Just_A_Guy