Are You Green?

StrawberryFields

Good for Ed. Now maybe he can create some environmentally friendly jobs so we can afford an environmentally friendly life.

I don't think Ed can cash his paycheck without screwing up his environmental system.

Brad Pitt showed up at the awards driving his hybrid vehicle as did some others. Unfortunately there was nothing else noteworthy about his environmental presence.

John Travolta and Jeff Bridges are among some of the well known environmentalist. While there is enough beeswax for their crayons, there is not enough beeswax for all the children of this planet.

We cannot yet afford to be environmentally free. It is an unfortunate means of placing yourself above other millionaires. There is an old saying that goes something like "When the Jones showed up with the matches, the Rockefellers showed up with the wood."

It does cost a bit to be earth friendly.

I think if we all make a little bit of effort it can help.

Lightbulbs

weatherstripping

insulation

Natural light

The episode I saw was were he went to Cheryl Tiegs home and the things I listed above were mentioned.

You can get a tax break/credit for using energy efficient Lightbulbs, weatherstripping, insulation, and solar energy. That has been available since the 1970's or 1980's.

On a humorous note: The five virgins who did not have oil in their lamps were probably the environmentalist.

Jesus probably ate unleavened bread at the last supper but it was not cold raw mush. And I doubt it was baked in an environmental solar oven.

I guess the Swiss Family Robinson screwed up their island too.

The best way to get me to be more green? Give me more "green"! I use compact florescent light bulbs all over my house. They are environmentally friendly (allegedly, although I've heard they will contaminate your house with mercury if broken and you should never use your vaccuum to clean up the mess); they also cut my electric bill. I recycle aluminum cans because the recycle center pays by the pound. I drive a relatively fuel efficient car (and keep it in good mechanical shape) so my Exxon charge card bill is not totally out of sight. I use cloth toweling to wipe up spills because I think paper towels are a big waste of money. I have to wash the bath towels anyway, whats one more in the load? I believe in being frugal - not just with money but with all resources. I don't like to waste what I've earned or what has been given me. It is part of stewardship.

I also recycle plastic, paper, computer parts, furniture, etc, when there is no financial incentive. Freecycle is great! I don't like waste.

In the past British and French skipped bathing and brushing teeth -- maybe they were ahead of their time? :D

So did Americans. The American Pioneers would change their baby's cloth diapers infrequently, once a week or so. The past just smelled a lot worse.

How about buying locally produced fruits, vegetables, etc? It won't save you anything, but it'll save the pollution involved in having your food shipped halfway around the world. Some things we can do to be green will cost more. That's the way it goes. Buy a more energy efficient computer, better fridge/freezer, chucking the hot-air tumble dryer, it all costs more than you will personally save, but it's all in the name of green.

-Gabelpa

I too hate waste.

My number one pet peeve is letting the cold air out in the summer and warm air out in the winter.

One of my pet peeves in waste is wasting water. Why must you let the water run when you brush your teeth? Wash dishes? I turn my dishes up-side-down in the sink as I wash them. When the sink is full, then I rinse. Turning them up-side-down allows the soap to run OUT of them and not collect inside of them.

When I lived in Oregon - every year from the end of September until Feb or March I had precious little to no water. I had to haul it in to my home. This I did in 5 gallon collapsible jugs! What a pain. I saved the water from washing dishes and myself, so I could flush the toilet. Then we got a pump and pumped water from the creek up to our holding tank. We didn't drink or cook with this water as Beavers lived in the creek. Now I had water to flush the toilet with and to wash clothes in. When I washed dishes, I boiled my rinse water and was still very frugal with it. Also during the summer I hung ALL of my wash out on lines. When I put jeans out at 8am and they were still not dry by 4pm - I knew the Solar Drying season was over and I had to go back to the electric dryer. Oh how I wish I could hang my clothes out here in Arizona - but we do NOT have any ground cover and the dirt gets into everything. Why put clean wet clothes out just to bring in dirty dry clothes???

Also in Oregon, we recycled everything - the disposal company picked it all up and took it away for free. Here where I am, there is no such thing!

In Oregon there are bottle deposits, $0.05 per bottle. You don't see bottles littering the roads and highways. Here in Arizona - no such thing. I have never seen such a filthy state as Arizona is. They don't even have the Prison/Jail Inmates out cleaning up the highways! Bottles, plastic bags stuck on the beautiful cacti and shredding in the wind, pampers, paper, boxes, tires, grocery shopping carts, all out on the highway and littering up the scenery.

When I asked my co-workers where were the Indian Reservations - they told me to just follow the trail of beer and wine bottles that were alongside the highways - that would lead me to the reservations. They were right. How sick! No Yellow Brick road here, more like amber and green bottle road.

You see signs in Oregon and Washington stating the fines if you are caught littering. Not any of those signs in Arizona.

<div class='quotemain'>

I too hate waste.

My number one pet peeve is letting the cold air out in the summer and warm air out in the winter.

One of my pet peeves in waste is wasting water. Why must you let the water run when you brush your teeth? Wash dishes? I turn my dishes up-side-down in the sink as I wash them. When the sink is full, then I rinse. Turning them up-side-down allows the soap to run OUT of them and not collect inside of them.

When I lived in Oregon - every year from the end of September until Feb or March I had precious little to no water. I had to haul it in to my home. This I did in 5 gallon collapsible jugs! What a pain. I saved the water from washing dishes and myself, so I could flush the toilet. Then we got a pump and pumped water from the creek up to our holding tank. We didn't drink or cook with this water as Beavers lived in the creek. Now I had water to flush the toilet with and to wash clothes in. When I washed dishes, I boiled my rinse water and was still very frugal with it. Also during the summer I hung ALL of my wash out on lines. When I put jeans out at 8am and they were still not dry by 4pm - I knew the Solar Drying season was over and I had to go back to the electric dryer. Oh how I wish I could hang my clothes out here in Arizona - but we do NOT have any ground cover and the dirt gets into everything. Why put clean wet clothes out just to bring in dirty dry clothes???

Also in Oregon, we recycled everything - the disposal company picked it all up and took it away for free. Here where I am, there is no such thing!

In Oregon there are bottle deposits, $0.05 per bottle. You don't see bottles littering the roads and highways. Here in Arizona - no such thing. I have never seen such a filthy state as Arizona is. They don't even have the Prison/Jail Inmates out cleaning up the highways! Bottles, plastic bags stuck on the beautiful cacti and shredding in the wind, pampers, paper, boxes, tires, grocery shopping carts, all out on the highway and littering up the scenery.

When I asked my co-workers where were the Indian Reservations - they told me to just follow the trail of beer and wine bottles that were alongside the highways - that would lead me to the reservations. They were right. How sick! No Yellow Brick road here, more like amber and green bottle road.

You see signs in Oregon and Washington stating the fines if you are caught littering. Not any of those signs in Arizona.

Maybe you should follow the signs that say "Adopt A Highway" and clean it up.

I dont know how many of you know this, but australia is in the middle of quite a severe drought. Our dams are only at 20% capacity (and thats after a week of rain we got out of the blue last week - before that the dam levels were 18%) Its been so bad, the state government has put these level 5 restrictions in place. Its called the Target 140 Plan. (140 litres per person per day) http://www.qwc.qld.gov.au/

I dont know how many of you know this, but australia is in the middle of quite a severe drought. Our dams are only at 20% capacity (and thats after a week of rain we got out of the blue last week - before that the dam levels were 18%) Its been so bad, the state government has put these level 5 restrictions in place. Its called the Target 140 Plan. (140 litres per person per day) http://www.qwc.qld.gov.au/

We are recovering from a severe drought two years ago. It takes several years with each year ending in less rain until there is little or no rain. Once we hit the actual drought year, the next year we start getting a little more rain and every year after. We stay in a normal rain zone for about ten years before the drought cycle begins.

Of course Australia is known for severe savage droughts that seem to last for years. There have been authors who quoted on the Australian droughts around 1590 through 1630. I would not think the droughting climate of Australia is a major environment issue.

140 litres per person to someone in the U.S. would be like 70 2ltr bottles of water per family member per day. And a family of 4 would be allowed 280 2ltr bottles of water.

Our water restrictions during a drought are usually banning outdoor watering of the lawn (but you can water your garden) and washing vehicles at home (you can use the automated car wash). Also during a drought, water usage is monitored and anyone neglecting a water leak can be fined $1,000 (homes) and businesses can be charged according to the inspection violation codes which are fines in access of $400,000.

I am assuming that you are in your winter season. We will be starting our autumn in about three weeks.

I will keep you in my prayers.

'Fraid not Annabelli, I am not about to adopt a highway and have no say what so ever regarding the louts who befoul it - say like fine them $1K for the first offense and then $1K and make them clean up 100 miles of roadway per each additional offence, when the greater portion of Arizona does not give a rats tail what it's state highways look like.

During the summer months there is no way I can even go outside and keep my small area clean that the stinking louts befoul as they drive to the next city and/or reservation. It is too blasted hot, and I can not keep up with them.

Now I have druggies living on two sides of me, who toss their garbage outside and let the wind blow it all over. Yes the Enforcement Agencies know about it. No nothing has been done. Like I said too many of these great and wonderful residents of Arizona do not give a rats bottom about the cleanliness of their state.

Move out of the State - we are looking, but hubby has not yet retired and we aren't moving until he does. I am doing my best looking for places that border Amish or Mennonite properties. We both have decided that we prefer living next to them!

If there is no LDS Meeting house within a 50 mile radius, then we will just go on-line and read from lds.org. That is how serious we are about where we prefer to live. Both of us are sick and tired of the human pigs who befoul their own living areas.

<div class='quotemain'>

'Fraid not Annabelli, I am not about to adopt a highway and have no say what so ever regarding the louts who befoul it - say like fine them $1K for the first offense and then $1K and make them clean up 100 miles of roadway per each additional offence, when the greater portion of Arizona does not give a rats tail what it's state highways look like.

During the summer months there is no way I can even go outside and keep my small area clean that the stinking louts befoul as they drive to the next city and/or reservation. It is too blasted hot, and I can not keep up with them.

Now I have druggies living on two sides of me, who toss their garbage outside and let the wind blow it all over. Yes the Enforcement Agencies know about it. No nothing has been done. Like I said too many of these great and wonderful residents of Arizona do not give a rats bottom about the cleanliness of their state.

Move out of the State - we are looking, but hubby has not yet retired and we aren't moving until he does. I am doing my best looking for places that border Amish or Mennonite properties. We both have decided that we prefer living next to them!

If there is no LDS Meeting house within a 50 mile radius, then we will just go on-line and read from lds.org. That is how serious we are about where we prefer to live. Both of us are sick and tired of the human pigs who befoul their own living areas.

There is a large number of Native Americans who are members of the LDS Church who reside in Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Texas, and Oklahoma. We have Temples in each one of these states.

We have a Mennonite Community in our area and they are very nice people. Our Amish neighbors live farther away and they too are very nice. Like LDS Members, they are not picture perfect.

The LDS Daily News reports on our service projects and "Adopt A Highway" is one of our favorites.

Have you attended the Temple in Mesa, Arizona?

There is a large number of Native Americans who are members of the LDS Church who reside in Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Texas, and Oklahoma. We have Temples in each one of these states. Yes that is true

We have a Mennonite Community in our area and they are very nice people. Our Amish neighbors live farther away and they too are very nice. Like LDS Members, they are not picture perfect. But they don't through bottles and trash all over the place, nor do they cook up meth.The LDS in my area are nice and do not litter. Nor did I name any particular persons/peoples now did I?

The LDS Daily News reports on our service projects and "Adopt A Highway" is one of our favorites. That is great for your state.

Have you attended the Temple in Mesa, Arizona? Yes I have attended the Temple in Mesa, along with the Temple in Portland and in Seattle. What does all of this have to do with the cost of beans?

Annabelli, what do your comments have to do with what I stated? If nothing, then why oh why did you quote me?

<div class='quotemain'>

There is a large number of Native Americans who are members of the LDS Church who reside in Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Texas, and Oklahoma. We have Temples in each one of these states. Yes that is true

We have a Mennonite Community in our area and they are very nice people. Our Amish neighbors live farther away and they too are very nice. Like LDS Members, they are not picture perfect. But they don't through bottles and trash all over the place, nor do they cook up meth.The LDS in my area are nice and do not litter. Nor did I name any particular persons/peoples now did I?

The LDS Daily News reports on our service projects and "Adopt A Highway" is one of our favorites. That is great for your state.

Have you attended the Temple in Mesa, Arizona? Yes I have attended the Temple in Mesa, along with the Temple in Portland and in Seattle. What does all of this have to do with the cost of beans?

Annabelli, what do your comments have to do with what I stated? If nothing, then why oh why did you quote me?

Yes! Iggy, you referred to the American Indians in each of your post. Our American Indians/Native Americans live on reservations. Many of these American Indians are LDS Members. They do not cook up meth or throw trash all over the place.

The LDS Daily News reports for "Adopt A Highway" came out of Houston, Texas.

I respect all LDS Church members regardless of their race.

I like to take public transit whenever feasible. You never have to worry about parking when you do. My daughter thinks riding on the Trax trains in SLC is fun.

We don't have a car and have no intention of getting one any time soon, I love getting the train to college in the morning, and when we occasionally go in a friends car somewhere the kids are really excited as it's such a rare thing for them. But here in Scotland, public transport is really good, I guess there are a lot of places where not having a car just wouldn't be feasible, I think that's a shame, and if the public transport system could be improved in those places, prices dropped, more buses etc then a lot more people would be able to do it.

Annabelli Posted Yesterday, 11:39 PM

QUOTE(Iggy @ Aug 27 2007, 11:47 PM)

QUOTE(Annabelli @ Aug 27 2007, 10:35 PM)

Yes! Iggy, you referred to the American Indians in each of your post. Our American Indians/Native Americans live on reservations. Many of these American Indians are LDS Members. They do not cook up meth or throw trash all over the place.

I never once stated that LDS Native Americans were cooking up meth. I never stated that NA's cooked meth. I said that I lived next door to meth cookers - and did not specify their race, religion nor did I even specify thier gender or age.

There are NA's who are from ALL over the continental USA, not just the states that you mentioned. Why did you not include them in your list? Are you discriminating against them? Or did you not know of the numerous tribes that are in all of the other states?

What I said was the roads leading to the reservations here in this part of Arizona are littered with beer bottles and wine bottles. This is exactly what I said:

YOU, Annabelli are putting the NA in that sentence, not me.

My husband and I would prefer to live nestled amongst the Amish or the Mennonites because then we would be assured that there would be no druggies/meth users-cookers there. There would be no loud parties, no filth littering their property and those of their neighbors. The land adjacent to them would be free of trash, and pollution. Can you tell me where there is a concentration of LDS Members who are living like the Amish or Mennonites? Because if anyone knows of such - please let us know - we would much rather live amongst the LDS - but I have never heard of any LDS who have gathered themselves together such as that. AND by LDS - Annabelli - I mean members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Now, Annabelli, please be so good as to explain your question to me regarding my attendence of the Temple. I was polite and honest enough to answer you and now I would like an explanation as to how that question even applies to my post.

Annabelli Posted Yesterday, 11:39 PM

QUOTE(Iggy @ Aug 27 2007, 11:47 PM)

QUOTE(Annabelli @ Aug 27 2007, 10:35 PM)

I never once stated that LDS Native Americans were cooking up meth. I never stated that NA's cooked meth. I said that I lived next door to meth cookers - and did not specify their race, religion nor did I even specify thier gender or age.

There are NA's who are from ALL over the continental USA, not just the states that you mentioned. Why did you not include them in your list? Are you discriminating against them? Or did you not know of the numerous tribes that are in all of the other states?

What I said was the roads leading to the reservations here in this part of Arizona are littered with beer bottles and wine bottles. This is exactly what I said:

YOU, Annabelli are putting the NA in that sentence, not me.

My husband and I would prefer to live nestled amongst the Amish or the Mennonites because then we would be assured that there would be no druggies/meth users-cookers there. There would be no loud parties, no filth littering their property and those of their neighbors. The land adjacent to them would be free of trash, and pollution. Can you tell me where there is a concentration of LDS Members who are living like the Amish or Mennonites? Because if anyone knows of such - please let us know - we would much rather live amongst the LDS - but I have never heard of any LDS who have gathered themselves together such as that. AND by LDS - Annabelli - I mean members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Now, Annabelli, please be so good as to explain your question to me regarding my attendence of the Temple. I was polite and honest enough to answer you and now I would like an explanation as to how that question even applies to my post.

The "Indians" that your co-worker spoke of are members of this Church and attend the Mesa Temple. These indians are known as Native Americans or American Indians. When you attended the Mesa Temple you probably met some of these people.

You should talk to your Bishop about nestling amongst the Amish and Mennonites who have many Arizona Communities and neighbor with Indian Reservations.

being green more often than not saves money.

We use lemon juice, baking sods and vinegar instead of cleaners,

conserving fuel of any kind saves money

my sons cloth diapers have cost us about £500 including laundry, and thats for 2babies

our local veg boxcosts less

i am lucky our local transport doesn't cost me anything - however will need tolearn to drive when we move

ecoballs forthe washing machine save huge amounts of money

buying secondhand clothes and furniture

we are hoping when we move to Kansas to build an earthship or superadobe house (www.calearth.org or www.earthship.org) less enviromentally friendly than a fixer upper but both style of buildings arecheaper and easier than standard buildings to erect.

-Charley

we are hoping when we move to Kansas to build an earthship or superadobe house (www.calearth.org or www.earthship.org) less enviromentally friendly than a fixer upper but both style of buildings arecheaper and easier than standard buildings to erect.

What are "ecoballs" for the washing machine?

I have heard of the earthship architecture before, but calearth was new to me - thanks for posting the url. (You might run in to zoning/code problems with either style in Kansas, but it's definitely worth looking into.)

<div class='quotemain'>

What are "ecoballs" for the washing machine?

I have heard of the earthship architecture before, but calearth was new to me - thanks for posting the url. (You might run in to zoning/code problems with either style in Kansas, but it's definitely worth looking into.)

http://www.ecoballsdirect.co.uk/

here they are they are great - I can wash all my clothes at 30C, on a short wash, even Gabey's nappies come clean my only intial complaint was the clothes didn't smell of anything - which was weird I used some essential oils until I got used to it.

There are a couple of domes in Kansas already so we are hopeful, if not I have come across a lot of adobe houses and the earthbag building technique can be used to build what looks like a standard adobe house, with the added bonus its unlikely to be very affected by a tornado.

-Charley