Invocations at the RNC and DNC

jerome1232

Normally I wouldn't do this, I mean I get people pray in different manners. (for the record I am not a Republican nor am I Democrat though I do lean conservative) But this popped up in my facebook and I couldn't help but notice how... self praising and shallow the invocation was at the DNC. It reminds me of the Zoramites prayers in the Book of Mormon: Alma 31: 15 - 17 . And then the crowd roaring during an invocation? I know some denominations will throw out some "hallelujahs" and "praise Jesus's" but that seemed extremely irreverent for an invocation, more like a self praising speech if you ask me. 

39 minutes ago, jerome1232 said:

Normally I wouldn't do this, I mean I get people pray in different manners. (for the record I am not a Republican nor am I Democrat though I do lean conservative) But this popped up in my facebook and I couldn't help but notice how... self praising and shallow the invocation was at the DNC. It reminds me of the Zoramites prayers in the Book of Mormon: Alma 31: 15 - 17 . And then the crowd roaring during an invocation? I know some denominations will throw out some "hallelujahs" and "praise Jesus's" but that seemed extremely irreverent for an invocation, more like a self praising speech if you ask me. 

21 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

As I recall, a couple of the other prayers at the RNC weren't paragons of revered silence, either . . .

"They have their reward."

53 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

As I recall, a couple of the other prayers at the RNC weren't paragons of revered silence, either . . .

I don't doubt that. It's an extremely unfortunate state of affairs.

3 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Yeah, Evangelists have spirited prayers but I thought that DNC Day 1 invocation went off the rails so have no RNC comparison.

RNC prayers remained reverent even those offered by the very spirited Evangelists.

Okay, here's Day 1 Benediction which was talked about like it was the most scandalous thing ever.  The difference here is he gave a rousing speech before he offered the prayer.  So a lot of the crowd interaction happened at the short speech then when the prayer started everybody went reverent even through the partisan portions.  The prayer was short too.  But yeah, this prayer is kinda... uhm... not reverent...

There was a Muslim prayer - can't remember anymore which day it was - the prayer was not what I would call reverent but it was still in the arena of respectful.  I hear very faintly some guy yelling something in the background but not sure if he was yelling Amen or what.

Edited by anatess2