family email address

dahlia

I had to send an email to someone at church and once again came face to face with somekind of family email address. Is this a Mormon thing? Why on earth would I want to share my email address with my spouse?

1. Newsflash - if either if us were up to no good on line, we certainly wouldn't send love notes thru the family email, so this doesn't serve as much of a control on anyone's behavior.

2. If I'm a man, I wouldn't want to be inundated with a bunch of emails from the RS about who's baking what.

3. If I'm a woman, I'm not interested in what's happening with the priesthood.

4. For either party, why would I want to read emails from my in-laws which are clearly for my spouse?

5. What happened to the women's movement? It would seem that having one's own email is the smallest part of having one's own life. 

I just find this strange.

In my experience, people who have a family email account will also have additional separate accounts for the wife, husband, and any kids.  There's also usually only one person actively using the family account (usually the mom).  I don't particularly find this to be a "Mormon" thing at all, and have seen it in other groups to.  

Guest MormonGator
14 minutes ago, dahlia said:

I had to send an email to someone at church and once again came face to face with somekind of family email address. Is this a Mormon thing? Why on earth would I want to share my email address with my spouse?

1. Newsflash - if either if us were up to no good on line, we certainly wouldn't send love notes thru the family email, so this doesn't serve as much of a control on anyone's behavior.

2. If I'm a man, I wouldn't want to be inundated with a bunch of emails from the RS about who's baking what.

3. If I'm a woman, I'm not interested in what's happening with the priesthood.

4. For either party, why would I want to read emails from my in-laws which are clearly for my spouse?

5. What happened to the women's movement? It would seem that having one's own email is the smallest part of having one's own life. 

I just find this strange.

You aren't alone. I saw a meme once that said "Memo to those couples who have mutual Facebook accounts. We just want to know which one cheated and lost privacy privileges"

Yes, it's a joke, but I'm with you 100% @dahlia. Very strange 

7 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

You aren't alone. I saw a meme once that said "Memo to those couples who have mutual Facebook accounts. We just want to know which one cheated and lost privacy privileges"

Yes, it's a joke, but I'm with you 100% @dahlia. Very strange 

I'm with you on this one. In fact, my ex-boyfriend and his wife have a shared one, and let's just say she's smarter than I was.

Guest Godless

My parents have always had a shared email account, mostly because my dad hates technology (not joking) and is content to let my mom handle internet stuff as much as possible, which she's happy to do. He's a member of the bishopric, so he can't stay completely unplugged, but he definitely does his best to make his online footprint as small as possible.

5 minutes ago, Godless said:

My parents have always had a shared email account, mostly because my dad hates technology (not joking) and is content to let my mom handle internet stuff as much as possible, which she's happy to do. He's a member of the bishopric, so he can't stay completely unplugged, but he definitely does his best to make his online footprint as small as possible.

Same with my parents.

We have a family email account and individual email accounts.  The family email account was created because of iTunes.  But we started using it for family stuff - School communications, Ward communications (yes, including RS), stuff that all of us - my husband, myself, or the kids whoever gets to it first - can handle like adding events to the calendar from the emailed info, or letters from teachers telling us about school stuff.  So you might be wondering, why is RS stuff in there?  Because... if you're emailing RS info instead of texting it to my phone or sending it to my FB, chances are I'm not gonna get to it until I get to it - which may be after my husband or kids get to it, so this way, if my husband gets to it first he can do something about it (like put it on the calendar if it's some RS event or tell me about it).

So yeah, if it is time sensitive info don't send it to my personal email account send it to the family account then there's a higher chance I'll see it within the month... but, if you know me, you know that the best way to send me info is other methods instead of email, family account or otherwise.

In any case, to assume that a family account is anti-feminist or an indicator of somebody cheating is a sad conclusion of the state of our society.

Edited by anatess2