Granite, Granite -

Snow

Growing up in SLC, I thought all granite looked like temple granite.

I am rebuilding a house - what do you think about this granite for the kitchen? The cabinets are going to be distressed French Country and the floors are natural wood - Brazilian Koa:

http://www.marble.com/stone/New,Lapidus,327.html

http://www.heritagestonecraft.com/photos/g...Lapidus%202.JPG

It's not the exact one I am considering but it is somewhat similar.

I am rebuilding a house - what do you think about this granite for the kitchen? The cabinets are going to be distressed French Country and the floors are natural wood - Brazilian Koa:

When you say distressed French country I picture a sort of cream color. Is that correct?

Edit: So you don't have to waste time replying, this is why I ask: The marble sample says: "With its background being mostly white/gray, this stone has a very blotched pattern of peaches, pinks, and coffee stains."

If your color scheme is French country "cream," the white/gray in the marble might clash with that. You might want to look for a marble that does not contain whites or grays in it--I would say definitely no grays.

I know nothing about marble, so I don't even know if that's possible. But you asked.

Elphaba

I love the color of the granite. I do have one suggestion though... if you're going with the sink in the photo, you may want to think about getting a seamless sink if that's possible with granite. We recently renovated our countertops with Corian (solid surface), which I love. But thing I like best about it is the sink. It's SO easy to clean as there are no creases where stuff can get stuck. Here's a pic of one similar to ours: http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/images/...nCountertop.jpg

Sometimes I think we should have gone with granite, as the colors are beautiful. But I am happy with our choice, as I love the way it looks and the low maintenance and being able to easily buff away scratches.

I love the color of the granite. I do have one suggestion though... if you're going with the sink in the photo, you may want to think about getting a seamless sink if that's possible with granite. We recently renovated our countertops with Corian (solid surface), which I love. But thing I like best about it is the sink. It's SO easy to clean as there are no creases where stuff can get stuck. Here's a pic of one similar to ours: http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/images/...nCountertop.jpg

Sometimes I think we should have gone with granite, as the colors are beautiful. But I am happy with our choice, as I love the way it looks and the low maintenance and being able to easily buff away scratches.

That is nice, Shan.

Ours is actually set in the countertop, not the sink on the countertop and then caulked, so it is kind of the same but different!

When you say distressed French country I picture a sort of cream color. Is that correct?

Edit: So you don't have to waste time replying, this is why I ask: The marble sample says: "With its background being mostly white/gray, this stone has a very blotched pattern of peaches, pinks, and coffee stains."

If your color scheme is French country "cream," the white/gray in the marble might clash with that. You might want to look for a marble that does not contain whites or grays in it--I would say definitely no grays.

I know nothing about marble, so I don't even know if that's possible. But you asked.

Elphaba

I think you're right. The picture isn't exactly what we got as that is not the website of our supplier but it reminds me of what we got today. My wife also steered shy of the grays though I wouldn't have figured out what to do on my own.

Cool - I make a big mess when I cook so that would be good for me. We ordered fire clay sinks a month ago.

i hope nobody decides that this thread is an attack againt people with marble countertops by those with granite countertops, forcing someone else to provide the wikipedia definition of marble and countertops, followed by various assertions as to why it shouldn't be used, and there should be a dog barking at clouds on a green hill that isnt far enough away to be a forever family that cant we all get along and love one another and the apple on mars drinks wilk through its noseon saturdays at noon while sleeping.

:P:D

i hope nobody decides that this thread is an attack againt people with marble countertops by those with granite countertops, forcing someone else to provide the wikipedia definition of marble and countertops, followed by various assertions as to why it shouldn't be used, and there should be a dog barking at clouds on a green hill that isnt far enough away to be a forever family that cant we all get along and love one another and the apple on mars drinks wilk through its noseon saturdays at noon while sleeping.

:roflmbo:

<div class='quotemain'>

:)

exactly the response i wanted!!

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

:)

exactly the response i wanted!!

Thank you. I am happy to oblige.

Thank you.

You are a good countering force against the granisogyny that prevails here and throughout the Church.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

That looks nice Snow. :D

I have granite in all but one kitchen.

How many kitchens do you have?

3. The other one is Corian and it was almost as much as granite and not as durable or pretty IMO

I disagree with your opinion. How dare you say you don't like Corian? Please never insult me like that again! See below:

Corian is the registered trademark of one of many building materials collectively known as solid surface and is composed of acrylic polymer and alumina trihydrate made by DuPont. It is said to be a thermosetting plastic, but can be thermoformed by heating it to 300°F (149°C), allowing unique shapes to be created. Its primary use is for countertops, but is also commonly used as a wall cladding in moisture applications (wet walls). Solid surface materials are very versitile and can be joined, shaped and finished to create many products.

Corian is available in thicknesses of one-quarter, one-half and three-quarters of an inch, with half-inch being the most common thickness for most applications. All thicknesses feature the consistency of color and patterning throughout, common to all solid surfacing materials. This allows scratches, stains and light scorches to be removed with sandpaper. However, doing this tends to scuff up its matte coating, and is not recommended for single scratches; the preferred method is to lightly sand the entire counter top so the coating is uniform. Joints can be made invisible by joining them with a special seam adhesive and sanding the connection smooth. With recent price reviews in Europe, Corian is probably the most cost effective solid surface when comparing like for like.[citation needed] Corian was first sold in 1967 [1].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corian

;):rolleyes::D

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

That looks nice Snow. :D

I have granite in all but one kitchen.

How many kitchens do you have?

3. The other one is Corian and it was almost as much as granite and not as durable or pretty IMO

I disagree with your opinion. How dare you say you don't like Corian? Please never insult me like that again! See below:

Corian is the registered trademark of one of many building materials collectively known as solid surface and is composed of acrylic polymer and alumina trihydrate made by DuPont. It is said to be a thermosetting plastic, but can be thermoformed by heating it to 300°F (149°C), allowing unique shapes to be created. Its primary use is for countertops, but is also commonly used as a wall cladding in moisture applications (wet walls). Solid surface materials are very versitile and can be joined, shaped and finished to create many products.

Corian is available in thicknesses of one-quarter, one-half and three-quarters of an inch, with half-inch being the most common thickness for most applications. All thicknesses feature the consistency of color and patterning throughout, common to all solid surfacing materials. This allows scratches, stains and light scorches to be removed with sandpaper. However, doing this tends to scuff up its matte coating, and is not recommended for single scratches; the preferred method is to lightly sand the entire counter top so the coating is uniform. Joints can be made invisible by joining them with a special seam adhesive and sanding the connection smooth. With recent price reviews in Europe, Corian is probably the most cost effective solid surface when comparing like for like.[citation needed] Corian was first sold in 1967 [1].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corian

;):rolleyes::D

LOL Shan :lol:

Yeah, I got that same sales pitch. :lol:

Having tried both I will stick with the superior GRANITE!

I can do almost anything I want to my granite and it looks great. The only real ,maintenance is sealing it every six months or so and that's a breeze.

The Corian kitchen is in our basement so it doesn't get used as much. It scratches very easily and if you were going to try to shine it up you would be disappointed with the results. You can forget about getting anything hot too close to it bc the Corian could melt or pop. Corian is fabricated plastic and other materials and Granite is natural..... it's a ROCK :D

i am appalled at the lack of restrant in using wikipedia for contentious posts by corian sympathetics. this thread should be moved to the "contention forum" skin thickness must be verified by a physical sample mailed to Heather before being allowed to enter the forum.

:wow:

:lol: I AGREE :lol:

I'm not an expert, but I do have a daughter who is. She spends 40 hours a week, helping people choose there counter tops and she loves it. In my allmosthumble opinion, she is the best at it I have ever seen.

Give me a PM if you would like me, to give you a hand.

But one thing to keep in mind. It is very hard to make a mistake, when you use granite.

allmosthumble

LOL Shan :lol:

Yeah, I got that same sales pitch. :lol:

Having tried both I will stick with the superior GRANITE!

I can do almost anything I want to my granite and it looks great. The only real ,maintenance is sealing it every six months or so and that's a breeze.

The Corian kitchen is in our basement so it doesn't get used as much. It scratches very easily and if you were going to try to shine it up you would be disappointed with the results. You can forget about getting anything hot too close to it bc the Corian could melt or pop. Corian is fabricated plastic and other materials and Granite is natural..... it's a ROCK :D

Well I WAS kidding, for real, but I do have Corian and love it... actually, we have LG, but it's the same stuff... a little better warranty though. It does scratch fairly easily but the scatches are very shallow and easily buff out with Bon Ami cleaner. I also love that the sink is totally seamless, which (since I've been reading more about this today) I've found out isn't possible with granite or other stones. Also, with granite there are seams in your actual countertop and is difficult to hide. Corian doesn't have seams. It doesn't shine, but it isn't meant to. It's smooth, but it's a matte finish.

It's all about what you want, I guess!