How do you focus on today instead of eternity.

My overall biggest problem is I worry and am obsessed with the eternities yet can't figure out where to take a date to eat. I hate my mind on its obsession with the next life when I should be focusing on May 2017. Can anyone offer any good advice? I admit my problem.

9 hours ago, Zarahemla said:

My overall biggest problem is I worry and am obsessed with the eternities yet can't figure out where to take a date to eat. I hate my mind on its obsession with the next life when I should be focusing on May 2017. Can anyone offer any good advice? I admit my problem.

Think of it in a new way. When you see a woman who is pregnant, you see that there is a child in the world, who is not yet fully present in the world. Focus on bringing about the Kingdom of God now, in 2017.  God's Kingdom is in this world, now, yet not made fully present. Faith, hope and charity are the virtues to practice in this endeavor.   

Also change how you are self-reflecting. Self-reflecting is good for discipleship. At the end of the day, make one assessment. Not with the intention of beating oneself up, or of self judging. But with the intention of cultivating discipleship. With love for God and recognizing, truly, that God loves you.  What went well during the day. What did not. For things that didn't go well, how would you change how you react, or think, or do, or anything at all, to move the not-so-well towards discipleship.  Then you have formulated a plan for the next time, should it arise.  You'll be prepared. 

If in that daily reflection towards discipleship you determine there is something to be repented of, do so, and believe, in your heart and mind, that you are fully forgiven. 

And last, remember to love your neighbor as yourself. Notice in that commandment you must love yourself as well as your neighbor!  See in yourself what God sees in you...someone who is loved so much, and worth dying for.  Cease self judgements, as in, judging your eternal destination. ONLY God can judge us.  Move your self reflections away from self judgement and towards discipleship.

It will take time, prayer, practice and grace.  Don't be discouraged,  Don't give up.  May God bless you and guide you. 

We are constantly being taught and encouraged to focus on eternity instead of today. Why would we be struggling against that?

Your issue, imo, @Zarahemla is not the focusing on eternity, but rather the inability to apply that to today. Perhaps your focus on the eternities is on the wrong thing? It should be on the way, the truth, and the life. It should not be on speculative things that haven't been revealed to us.

@Zarahemla - It sounds like you could benefit from some grounding techniques (among other things).  Google for more info (the following is the first thing that came up) -

Grounding is a technique that helps keep someone in the present. They help reorient a person to the here-and-now and in reality. Grounding skills can be helpful in managing overwhelming feelings or intense anxiety. They help someone to regain their mental focus from an often intensely emotional state.

3 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

We are constantly being taught and encouraged to focus on eternity instead of today. Why would we be struggling against that?

Your issue, imo, @Zarahemla is not the focusing on eternity, but rather the inability to apply that to today. Perhaps your focus on the eternities is on the wrong thing? It should be on the way, the truth, and the life. It should not be on speculative things that haven't been revealed to us.

I agree completely with this. Our whole purpose here is to keep our eye focused on our eternal destiny. But, this means that we apply it in every step of our life. So in regards to your example, the step of taking a woman out on a date is apart of those steps necessary to reach eternity. Rather than focusing on the unknown aspects of eternity, focus on the things you do know. That we have to learn, grow, and develop in this Earth life in order to reach eternity. That includes dating!